|Yamuna Nagar district
यमुना नगर जिला
|— District of Haryana —|
|Tehsils||1. Jagadhri, 2. Chhachhrauli, 3. Bilaspur|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||1. Ambala (shared with Ambala district), 2. Kurukshetra (shared with Kurukshetra district)|
|• Assembly seats||4|
|• Total||1,756 km2 (678 sq mi)|
|• Density||590/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||862|
Yamuna Nagar district (Hindi: यमुनानगर जिला) is one of the 21 districts of Haryana state, India. The district came into existence on 1 November 1989. It occupies an area of 1,756 square kilometres (678 sq mi). Yamuna Nagar town is the district headquarters.
The district is bounded by Himachal Pradesh state in the north, by Uttar Pradesh state in the east, by Karnal district in the south, by Kurukshetra district in the southwest and Ambala district in the west.
Divisions[edit | edit source]
The district comprises three tehsils: Jagadhri, Chhachhrauli and Bilaspur. These are further divided into six development blocks: Bilaspur, Sadhaura, Mustafabad, Radaur, Jagadhri and Chhachhrauli.
There are four Vidhan Sabha constituencies in this district: Sadhaura, Jagadhri, Yamuna Nagar and Radaur. While Sadhaura, Jagadhri and Yamuna Nagar are part of Ambala Lok Sabha constituency, Radaur is part of Kurukshetra Lok Sabha constituency.
Demographics[edit | edit source]
According to the 2011 census Yamuna Nagar district has a population of 1,214,162, roughly equal to the nation of Bahrain or the US state of New Hampshire. This gives it a ranking of 393rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 687 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,780 /sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 16.56%. Yamuna Nagar has a sex ratio of 877 females for every 1,000 males, and a literacy rate of 78.9%.
Major cities and towns[edit | edit source]
- Yamuna Nagar, a municipal corporation and district headquarters of Yamunanagar
- Jagadhri, located adjacent to Yamunanagar, is older of the twin cities.
- Adi Badri
Notes[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Bahrain 1,214,705 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "New Hampshire 1,316,470"
[edit | edit source]
|Sirmaur district, Himachal Pradesh|
Yamuna Nagar district
|Saharanpur district, Uttar Pradesh|
|This Haryana location article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Yamuna Nagar district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|