He was mentioned as deceased by his son Benedict on Nov 3,1677, and died "after the beginning of King Philip's War", i.e. mid-1675.
He came to New England in 1635, first settling at Hingham, and then Providence by April 1636. In 1638, he settled in Pawtuxet (now Warwick).
Son of Nicholas Arnold and Alice Gully Arnold of Ilchester, Co.Somerset. He was a brother of Joan (Arnold) Hopkins, and therefore his nephew was Thomas Hopkins of Providence,RI.
Summary: 1636 Providence Plantation
One of several settlers of Providence Plantation in 1636, 1st settlement in the future state of Rhode Island. This group was followers of Roger Williams, who was banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony for heretical preaching. In early 1636 his group went to purchase territory immediately to the west of Plymouth Colony, from the Narrangansett Indians. It is present-day Providence, Rhode Island.
Marriage and Family
He married Christian Peake/Peak by 1611.
Marriage & Family
- Elizabeth Arnold (1611-1685) - md William Carpenter (1605-1685), also a first settler and signer of the 1636 Providence Compact.
- Benedict Arnold (1615-1678) - in 1663 he was elected as the first Governor of Rhode Island and helped bring about the union of the Rhode Island and Providence Plantations into one colony. Also signed the Providence Loyalty Compact.
- Thomas Arnold (1620-)
- Stephen Arnold (1622-1699)
- Benjamin Arnold (1625-1625)
- Mary Arnold (1630-1710) - Md John Gardner (1628-1668), settled in Hingham MA.
- Eleazer Arnold (1630-1712)
|Offspring of Nicholas Arnold and Alice Gully (1553-1596)|
|Thomasine Arnold (1571-1622)|| |
|Joane Arnold (1577-1621)||30 November 1577 Ilchester, Somerset, England||10 March 1621 Yeovilton, Somerset, England|| William Hopkins (1575-1647)|
|Margery Arnold (1581-)|| |
|William Arnold (1587-1676)||4 June 1587 Ilchester, Somerset, England||7 September 1675 Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island|| Christian Peake (1583-1659)|
|Agnes Arnold (1591-1595)|