Ward Cheney was born 23 February 1813 in Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut to George Cheney (1771-1829) and Electa Woodbridge (1760-1853) and died 22 March 1876 in South Manchester, Hartford County, Connecticut of unspecified causes. He married Caroline Jackson (1813-1865) circa 1830 in Hartford County, Connecticut. Notable ancestors include Henry II of England (1133-1189), William I of England (1027-1087), Charlemagne (747-814), Hugh Capet (c940-996), Alfred the Great (849-899). Ancestors are from United States, the United Kingdom, England, France, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Israel, the Netherlands, Ireland, Italy, Turkey, the Byzantine Empire, Sweden, Belarus, Switzerland, Canaan.
Ward Cheney was principal founder of the house of Cheney Brothers, and was most active in its business management. He first engaged in the dry-goods business in Providence, Rhode Island, with his brother Charles. When Charles moved to Ohio, Ward returned to South Manchester and found several brothers raising a Chinese mulberry, Morus multicaulis. The success of the experiments led he and brothers Frank and Rush to start a silk culturing operation in Burlington, New Jersey. In 1838 he and his brothers Ralph, Rush and Frank established the manufacturing firm of Cheney Brothers in South Manchester.
Family of Ward and Caroline Cheney
- Arthur Cheney (1837-1878) - (14 January 1837 - December 1878) was the youngest of Ward's three children. He interested himself in the drama and built the Globe Theatre, Boston, originally called Selwyn's Theatre. It was managed with varying success by Selwyn, Floyd, and others, and, when it was burned, was rebuilt by Arthur and carried on at a loss.
In addition to Arthur, Ward Cheney also had two other children, Louis and Alice.
|Offspring of Ward Cheney and Caroline Jackson (1813-1865)|
|Louis Cheney (1832-1842)|| |
|Arthur Cheney (1837-1878)||14 January 1837 Hartford County, Connecticut||15 October 1878|| Emeline Lewis (1841-1915)|
|Alice Cheney (1838-1838)|
1850 US Federal Census
Recorded at Manchester, Hartford Co, CT. (Family of brother Charles Cheney is closeby).
- Ward Cheeney - m/37 - b:CT - ocp: Silk Manufacturing
- Caroline Cheeney - f/37 - b:RI
- Arthur Cheeney - m/13 - b:CT
- Patrick - m/39 - b:Ireland
- Ann Sharp - f/40 - b:Ireland
- Kate Sharp - f/3 - b:Ireland
- Ann Caton - f/22 - b:Ireland
- Ward Cheney Biography - Wikipedia
- Cheney Brother Historic District - Wikipedia - Manchester CT. Includes several Cheney Family mansions.
- Cheney Family Ancestry
- George Cheney Immigrant Ancestors
- John Cheney List of Famous Descendants