|— County —|
|Historical region||Moldavia, Muntenia|
|• Total||4,857 km2 (1,875 sq mi)|
|• Density||80/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 237 or (+40) 337|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-VN|
Vrancea (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈvrant͡ʃe̯a]) is a county (judeţ) in Romania, with its seat at Focşani. It is mostly in the historical region of Moldavia but the southern part, below the Milcov River, is in Muntenia.
In 2002, it had a population of 387,632 and a population density of 80/km².
Vrancea County's area is of 4,857 km².
A curvedly shaped mountainous area, known in Romanian as Carpaţii de Curbură, lies in the western part of the county, at the Southern end of Eastern Carpathians, with heights over 1400 m. To the East, the heights decrease into hilly areas and the lower valley of Siret River.
The main tributary of the Siret River, which crosses the county, is the Putna.
The area is a seismically active one, with yearly earthquakes whose epicenter depths are between 80 and 160 km.
- Vaslui County and Galaţi County to the East.
- Covasna County to the West.
- Bacău County to the North.
- Buzău County to the South and Brăila County to the South-East.
The county is famous for its wines, being the biggest wine producer in Romania. Over 11% of the county surface is covered with vines. The county's renown wine regions are Panciu - 8100 ha, Odobeşti - 7000 ha, and Coteşti.
County's main industries:
- Foods and beverages;
- Paper manufacturing and furniture making;
- Mechanical parts and components.
- Cookware and bakeware production
County's main destinations:
- The city of Focşani.
- Vrancea Mountains.
- Soveja Resort.
- Tulnici - Lepşa - Greşu tourist areas.
- Eternal Fire (Focul viu in Romanian) in Andreiaşu.
- Wine tasting and sales around Panciu, Odobeşti, and Coteşti.
- The Mausoleum at Mărăşeşti.
- Putna-Vrancea Natural Park
Vrancea County has 2 municipalities, 3 towns and 68 communes
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"