Віцебская вобласць (Belarusian)
Витебская область (Russian)
|Largest cities||Vitsebsk - 342,400
Orsha - 125,300
Navapolatsk - 101,300
Cities - 19
Urban localities - 26
|• Total||40,049.99 km2 (15,463.39 sq mi)|
|Population (2009 census)|
|• Density||31/km2 (80/sq mi)|
Vitebsk Region, Vitsebsk Voblasts, or Vitebsk Oblast (Belarusian: Ві́цебская во́бласць, Viciebskaja Vobłasć, pronounced [ˈvʲitsʲɛpskaja ˈvɔblastsʲ]; Russian: Ви́тебская о́бласть, tr. Vitebskaya Oblast, IPA: [ˈvʲitʲɪpskəjə ˈobləsʲtʲ]) is a voblasts (regions) of Belarus with its administrative center being Vitebsk (Viciebsk). It is located near the border with Russia.
As of a 2011, the region had a population of 1,221,800. It has the lowest population density in Belarus at 30.6 p/km².
Geography[edit | edit source]
Vitsebsk Region covers an area of 40,000 km², which is about 19.4% of the national total. It is bordered on the north by Pskov Oblast of Russia, by Smolensk Oblast of Russia on the east, on the south by Minsk Region and by Mogilev Region, on the southwest by Minsk Region and Grodno Region, and on the west and northwest by Vilnius and Utena counties of Lithuania and Dagda, Daugavpils, Krāslava and Zilupe municipalities of Latvia.
In 2000 Belarusian scientists Alexey Solomonov and Valery Anoshko published a report in which they stated that the geographic centre of Europe was located near Lake Sho (Belarusian: Шо) in the Vitsebsk Voblast. 
The region is known for its numerous lakes. The largest lakes of the Vitebsk Region are: Osveyskoye (2nd largest in Belarus), Lukomskoye (4th largest), Drivyaty(5th largest in Belarus and the largest of Braslav Lakes), Nescherdo, Snudy, Lisno, Ezerische, Strusto, Richi, Losvido, Lepelskoye.
The region has more national parks, nature reserves, and wildlife preserves of national importance than any other region of Belarus. Braslav Lakes and Naroch National Parks and Berezinski Biosphere Reserve comprise 3,4% of the whole region's territory, and 22 wildlife preserves of national importance make up 4,1% of the region.
Economy[edit | edit source]
Tourism[edit | edit source]
The number of travel agencies in Vitebsk Region has been growing, from 25 in 2000 to 83 in 2010; most provide both agent and operator activities. The numerous lake resorts attract tourists for several-night stays. Polotsk and Vitebsk are the most popular cultural tourism destinations of the region.
Administrative subdivisions[edit | edit source]
Cities[edit | edit source]
- Vitsebsk (Belarusian: Ві́цебск; Russian: Ви́тебск) - 342,400
- Orsha (Belarusian: О́рша; Russian: О́рша) - 125,300
- Navapolatsk (Belarusian: Наваполацк; Russian: Новополоцк) - 101,300
- Polatsk (Belarusian: По́лацк; Russian: По́лоцк) - 82,800
- Pastavy (Belarusian: Паставы) - 20,500
- Hlybokaye (Belarusian: Глыбокае)- 19,600
- Lepel (Belarusian: Ле́пель; Russian: Ле́пель) - 18,800
- Novolukoml - 14,900
- Haradok (Belarusian: Гарадок; Russian: Городок) - 14,000
- Baran - 12,300
- Talachyn (Belarusian: Талачын) - 10,500
- Braslaw (Belarusian: Браслаў; Russian: Браслав) - 10,100
- Chashniki (Belarusian: Чашнікі) - 9,800
- Dubroŭna (Belarusian: Дуброўна) - 9,100
- Myory (Belarusian: Мёры) - 9,000
- Syanno (Belarusian: Сянно)- 8,400
- Beshankovichy (Belarusian: Бешанко́вічы) - 8,200
- Verkhnyadzvinsk (Belarusian: Верхнядзвінск) - 7,300
- Dokshytsy (Belarusian: Докшыцы)- 7,000
- Ushachy (Belarusian: Ушачы)- 5,600 (urban-type settlement, capital of Ushachy District)
- Disna - 2,400
Demographics[edit | edit source]
As of 2008, the birth rate was 9.7 per 1000, while the death rate was 15.5 per 1000.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b "Main Geographic Characteristics of the Republic of Belarus. Territory and population density of Belarus by region as of January 1, 2011". The Scientific and Production State Republican Unitary Enterprise “National Cadastre Agency” of the State Property Committee of the Republic of Belarus. 2011. http://landofancestors.com/travel/statistics/geography/236-territory-and-population-density-by-region-as-of-january-1-2011.html. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- ^ "Coordinates of the extreme points of the state frontier". 2012. http://landofancestors.com/travel/statistics/geography/235-coordinates-of-the-extreme-points-of-the-state-frontier.html. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- ^ "Main characteristics of the largest lakes of Belarus". Data of the Research Laboratory for Lake Study of the Belarus State University.. 2011. http://landofancestors.com/travel/statistics/geography/238-main-characteristics-of-the-largest-lakes-of-belarus.html. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- ^ "Nature reserves and national parks, wildlife preserves and nature sanctuaries". Data of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus. 2011. http://landofancestors.com/travel/statistics/resources/culture-and-arts/297-nature-reserves-and-national-parks-wildlife-preserves-and-nature-sanctuaries.html. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- ^ Ministry of Sports and Tourism of the Republic of Belarus. (2011). "Number of organizations engaged in tourist activities in 2010 in Belarus". National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. http://landofancestors.com/travel/statistics/250-number-of-organizations-engaged-in-tourist-activities-in-2010-in-belarus.html. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- ^ Ministry of Sports and Tourism of the Republic of Belarus. (2011). "Number of organisations engaged in tourist activities in Belarus by region". National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. http://landofancestors.com/travel/statistics/252-number-of-organisations-engaged-in-tourist-activities-in-belarus-by-region.html. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- ^ http://belstat.gov.by/homep/ru/news/news85.php
[edit | edit source]
- Viciebsk Region – The Land Of Artists And Terrorists
- (English)/(Russian) Vitebsk Regional Executive Committee
|Dagda, Daugavpils, Krāslava and Zilupe Municipalities, Latvia||Pskov Oblast, Russia|
|Utena County and Vilnius Counties, Lithuania||Smolensk Oblast, Russia|
|Template:Country data Minsk Oblast and Hrodna Voblasts||Template:Country data Minsk Oblast and Template:Country data Mogilev Voblasts|