|— Municipality —|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Theo van Eijk (CDA)|
|• Total||22.29 km2 (8.61 sq mi)|
|• Land||19.19 km2 (7.41 sq mi)|
|• Water||3.10 km2 (1.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|Population (May 2013)|
|• Density||684/km2 (1,770/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Population centres Edit
Local government Edit
The municipal council of Uitgeest consists of 15 seats, which are divided as follows:
- Progressief Uitgeest - 4 seats
- CDA - 2 seats
- UVP - 2 seats
- PvdA - 2 seats
- VVD - 2 seats
- D66 - 3 seat
Tourist information Edit
No less than five windmills can be seen in the polder landscape surrounding the village. Uitgeest was the birthplace (in 1550) of Cornelis Corneliszoon, inventor of the wind-powered sawmill. An industrial heritage park, centered around sawmill De Hoop , is under construction.
The village has a Reformed church dating back to the early 14th Century and lakeside marina. The outdoor kart-racing track of 670m had to make room for development of houses, so one tourist attraction has been lost. Fort aan den Ham (between Uitgeest and Krommenie) was one of the 42 forts of the Stelling van Amsterdam, a 19th Century ring of fortifications around Amsterdam which has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The fort is now a museum open to the public on Sundays.
- Railway station: Uitgeest
Uitgeest is served by 4 trains per hour (Monday - Saturday), journey time to Amsterdam is around 20 minutes. It is recommended not to travel on the Stoptrein via Beverwijk and Haarlem as this journey is slower, and the journey via Zaandam passes through beautiful countryside.
Uitgeest is very close to the Highway's N8/A8 and A9. This will take you to Amsterdam in around 15 minutes. Recently (December 2010) the A9 highway has been improved by adding two lanes ('spitsstroken'), improving the traffic to and from the Amsterdam region.
- Peter Smit (1952-) -children's writer
- ^ "Burgemeester & Wethouders [Mayor and aldermen]" (in Dutch). Gemeente Uitgeest. http://www.uitgeest.nl/bestuur-politiek/college/. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- ^ "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten [Key figures for neighbourhoods]" (in Dutch). CBS Statline. CBS. 2 July 2013. http://statline.cbs.nl. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ^ "Postcodetool for 1911EG" (in Dutch). Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland. Het Waterschapshuis. http://www.ahn.nl/postcodetool. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- ^ "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand [Population growth; regions per month]" (in Dutch). CBS Statline. CBS. 24 June 2013. http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/publication/?DM=SLNL&PA=37230NED&D1=17-18&D2=101-619,621,624-632&D3=l&LA=EN&HDR=T&STB=G1,G2&VW=T. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
|Castricum|| ||Graft-De Rijp|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Uitgeest. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|