|Traverse County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1862 |
|Named for||Lake Traverse|
585.96 sq mi (1,518 km²)
574.09 sq mi (1,487 km²)
11.87 sq mi (31 km²), 0.44%
7/sq mi (3/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Traverse County (local pronunciation: // TRAV-ərs) is a county located in the U.S. state of Minnesota, founded in 1862. As of the 2010 census, the population was 3,558. Its county seat is Wheaton. It is Minnesota's smallest county by population.
Geography[edit | edit source]
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 53,485.96 square miles (138,528.0 km2), of which 574.09 square miles (1,486.9 km2) (or 97.97%) is land and 11.87 square miles (30.7 km2) (or 2.03%) is water.
Lakes[edit | edit source]
- Lake Traverse - east three-quarters in Windsor Township, west quarter in Folsom Township, east edge in Lake Valley Township, east edge in Walls Township
- Mud Lake - Lake Valley Township
- Saint Marys Lake - Tara Township
- Wet Lake - Arthur Township
Major highways[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Route 75
- Minnesota State Highway 9
- Minnesota State Highway 27
- Minnesota State Highway 28
- Minnesota State Highway 117
Adjacent counties[edit | edit source]
- Wilkin County (north)
- Grant County (northeast)
- Stevens County (southeast)
- Big Stone County (south)
- Roberts County, South Dakota (southwest)
- Richland County, North Dakota (northwest)
Demographics[edit | edit source]
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,134 people, 1,717 households, and 1,129 families residing in the county. The population density was 7 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 2,199 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.42% White, 0.02% Black or African American, 2.81% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.05% from other races, and 0.36% from two or more races. 1.21% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 52.2% were of German, 13.0% Norwegian, 7.6% Swedish and 5.4% Irish ancestry.
There were 1,717 households out of which 28.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.00% were married couples living together, 6.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.20% were non-families. 32.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.30% under the age of 18, 5.60% from 18 to 24, 21.70% from 25 to 44, 21.20% from 45 to 64, and 26.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 96.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,617, and the median income for a family was $39,655. Males had a median income of $29,821 versus $20,100 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,378. About 9.30% of families and 12.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.10% of those under age 18 and 10.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ "Minnesota Government Series, State Counties". Minnesota House of Representatives. http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hinfo/govseries/No34.htm. Retrieved 2008-03-18. .
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27/27155.html. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/docs/gazetteer/counties_list_27.txt. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
|Richland County, North Dakota||Wilkin County||Grant County|
Traverse County, Minnesota
|Roberts County, South Dakota||Big Stone County||Stevens County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Traverse County, Minnesota. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|