Thomas Hutchinson, Sr. was born 30 January 1673 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts to Elisha Hutchinson (1641-1717) and Hannah Hawkins (1641-1676) and died 3 December 1739 Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts of unspecified causes. He married Sarah Foster (1676-) 1697 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Charlemagne (747-814)/s, Henry II of England (1133-1189)/s, Hugh Capet (c940-996)/s, William I of England (1027-1087)/s.
The eldest son of Elisha Hutchinson (1641-1717), Thomas Hutchinson was born in Boston in 1674. Although lacking in a Harvard degree, he became and wealthy shipowner and prominent merchant. He served in the Provincial Council for 26 years.
His son remembers him for keeping company with merchants and clergymen, people whom represented the custodians of traditional New England values, particularly commerce and Christianity.
- Part of Samuel Sewall's group
- Executor of Increase Mather's will
- Helped capture the pirate, Captain Kidd
- Donated building for North Grammer School
- Inherited large house on Garden Court Street from his father-in-law's estate
Marriage & Family
Thomas Hutchinson, Sr marriied into the wealthy Foster family in 1703, when he married Sarah Foster (1676-), daughter of Colonel John Foster.
- Foster Hutchinson (1711-1721) - died at age 10.
- Sarah Hutchinson (1709-)
- Abigail Hutchinson (1710-)
- Hannah Hutchinson (1714-)
- Elisha Hutchinson (1715-)
- Thomas Hutchinson (1711-1780) - last Loyalist Governor of Massachusetts, md his cousin - Margaret Sanford.
|Offspring of Thomas Hutchinson, Sr. and Sarah Foster (1676-)|
|Sarah Hutchinson (1708-)|
|Abigail Hutchinson (1710-)|
|Foster Hutchinson (1711-1721)|
|Hannah Hutchinson (1714-)|
|Elisha Hutchinson (1715-)|
|Thomas Hutchinson (1711-1780)||3 September 1711 Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts||3 June 1780 Brompton, Yorkshire, England||Margaret Sanford (1716-1754)|
- Francis Marbury List of Famous Descendants
- 'Thomas Hutchinson and the Origins of the American Revolution By Andrew Stephen Walmsley (pg 7-11). Book is about Thomas, Jr, but has some info on Thomas Sr.