Lt. Thomas Eldred was born 8 September 1648 in Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts to Samuel Eldred (1620-1697) and Elizabeth Miller (1622-1711) and died 9 May 1726 North Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island of unspecified causes. He married Susanna Cole (1656-1726) 1672 in Kingston, Washington County, Rhode Island.
SAMUEL had a family of seven children, the 4th of whom was named THOMAS. Thomas Eldred lived all his life in Kingston, Rhode Island. He was a Lieutenant in the Train Band' (Militia) and held other public offices. He acquired considerable wealth before he died in 1726. He married SUSANNAH COLE, the granddaughter of ANN HUTCHINSON, the famous colonial religious figure. He was the father of 10 children, the eldest of whom was named JOHN.
Thomas was born Sept. 8, 1648, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He died, according to the proof date of his will, before October 1726 at Kingston, Rhode Island. He married Susanna Cole, who was the daughter of John and Susanna Hutchinson Cole, and the granddaughter of Ann Hutchinson. Thomas held town offices and was a lieutenant in the militia.
Train Band Militia
During the Colonial era, the Train Band organization (precursor to the modern Rhode Island National Guard) of the Rhode Island Militia was fairly simple. Each town had at least one militia company commanded by a captain or a lieutenant.
Marriage & Family
- John Eldred (1674-)
- Samuel Eldred (1677-1717) - named in his father's will
- Elisha Eldred (1676-) - named in his father's will
- Bridget Eldred (1678-1739)
- Susanna Eldred (1680-) - named in marriage record
- Sarah Eldred (1684-1726) - md Enoch Kenyon
- Elizabeth Eldred (1688-1728) - md Moses Barber
- Grace Eldred (1689-) - md Thomas Brownell
- William Eldred (1692-1770) - named in his father's will
- Mary Eldred (1690-1762) - b. 23 Jan 1690, md Nicholas Gardiner, Sr in North Kingston RI.
- Francis Marbury List of Famous Descendants
- Edward Hutchinson List of Famous Descendants
- Stedman Family Genealogy