- 2nd Baronet of Killua Castle
- Knighted - December 1780
BiographySir Thomas Chapman was born 20 October 1756 in Killua Castle, County Westmeath, Ireland to Benjamin Chapman (1707-1768) and Anne Tighe (1711-1792) and died 23 December 1837 in Bracklyn Castle, County Westmeath, Ireland of unspecified causes. He married Margaret Anne Fetherstone (1788-1871) 1808 in County Westmeath, Ireland. Ancestors are from Ireland.
2nd Baronet of Killua Castle. Married to Margaret Fetherston and had three sons including 3rd and 4th baronets of Killua Castle.
Sir Thomas Chapman, 2nd Bt. was invested as a Knight in December 1780. He succeeded to the title of 2nd Baronet Chapman, of St. Lucy's, co. Westmeath [I., 1782] in July 1810 at the death of his brother.
Killua Castle is the ancestral home of the Chapman Family who were granted the lands around Killua in 1667 as payment for services during the Cromwellian invasion of Ireland.
Killua Castle, and the nearby Raleigh Obelisk, are situated near Clonmellon, County Westmeath, Ireland. The present house was built in about 1780 by Sir Benjamin Chapman and consisted of a hall, dining room, oval drawing room, breakfast parlour and front and back stairs. There was also a stable yard, barn and haggard. From here, the Chapmans administered the surrounding farm lands of some 9,000 acres in the 18th century. Left in a ruinous condition, it was renovated in 2006.
- Son of Benjamin Chapman (d1779) and Anne Tighe
- 20-Aug-1756 : Birth at Killua Castle
- 1808 : Married to Margaret Anne Fetherstone (1788-1871), daughter of James Fetherstone and Margaret Steele.
- 1810-Aug: Inherits title 2nd Baronet of Killua castle at the of his Brother Sir Benjamin Chapman (d1810)
- 1837-Dec-23 : at Killua Castle
|Offspring of Sir Benjamin Chapman and Anne Tighe (1711-1792)|
|Thomas Chapman (1756-1837)||20 October 1756 Killua Castle, County Westmeath, Ireland||23 December 1837 Bracklyn Castle, County Westmeath, Ireland|| Margaret Anne Fetherstone (1788-1871)|
|Elizabeth Chapman (c1733-)|| |
|Benjamin Chapman (1754-1810)||1754 Killua, County Westmeath, Ireland||August 1810 Killua, County Westmeath, Ireland|| Anne Lowther (1756-1801)|
- Sir Montagu Lowther Chapman (1808-1853), 3rd Bt. b. 10 Dec 1808, d. 17 May 1853 - Died at Sea near Australia - Never married
- Sir Benjamin James Chapman (1810-1888), 4th Bt. b. 9 Feb 1810, d. 3 Nov 1888 - Married Maria Fetherston - His sons were 5th and 6th Baronets, but no descendants.
- William Chapman (1811-1889) b. 4 Nov 1811, d. 25 Jan 1889 - His son became 7th Baronet and also family line for T.E. Lawrence
- Thomas Chapman
- Chapman in County Westmeath
- Descendants of Captain Benjamin Chapman
- Burke, John. A General and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire. London: H. Colburn and R. Bentley. pp. 229.
- George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume V, page 405-406.
- http://www.featherstone-society.com/Indexes/ireland/AJF/project/Irishdata-p/p2.htm#i178 - For further research - Featherstone Family Line.