St George's Parish Hall containing the Tourist Information Centre - Gordon Street, Sorell
|Population:||2,476 (2011 Census)|
Sorell is a town in Tasmania, Australia, north-east of Hobart. It is located on the Tasman Highway at the junction with the Arthur Highway. At the 2006 census, Sorell had a population of 1,546, and at the 2011 census, a population of 2,476.
Sorell was name after William Sorell, the third Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land. Historically, it was known as a major town on the route from Hobart to Port Arthur on the Tasman Peninsula. It was the centre of an agricultural area and an important market town. It is now a dormitary town of Hobart.
In 1872 the Sorell Causeway was opened, from the Cambridge direction, across Pitt Water and Orielton Lagoon to Sorell, stopping at Midway Point in the middle. This shortened the route considerably from the original road via Richmond.
Sorell Post Office opened on 1 June 1832.
- There is also a mountain in the West Coast Range with the same name.
- Port Sorell is located on the mid north coast of Tasmania.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Sorell (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/SSC60337?opendocument&navpos=220. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Sorell (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC61316&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- ^ Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=Tas&country=. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
|This Tasmania geography article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Sorell, Tasmania. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|