His mother and siblings appear in the 1875 census in Ålesund living at 24 Kipervigen in their own home. The house contained 6 apartments and housed 26 people.
- Abelone Nilsen (1812-?). She died after 1875.
- Marie Nilsen (1845-?)
- Nils Andreas Nilsen (1848-?)
- Hanna Dorthea Nilsen (1856-?)
He was born on July 25, 1852 in Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal, Norway.
He married Sofie Marie Pedersen (1852-1924) on December 15, 1874 in Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal, Norway.
- Peder Theodor Johan Nilsen (1874-?)
- Petra Nilsen (1875-?)
- Sigvart Høgh-Nilsen (1880-?)
He died in 1906 in Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal, Norway at age 54.
- ^ Sigvart Nilsen (1852-1906) in the 1900 Norway census of ships, 1900, http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=30&filnamn=s0landet&gardpostnr=2584&personpostnr=25366&merk=25366#ovre, retrieved 2012-03-17
- ^ Sigvardt Nilsen (1852-1906) in the 1875 Norway census of Ålesund, 1875, http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1501&kenr=003&bnr=0024&lnr=00, retrieved 2014-02-17