|— Town —|
|• Total||39.3 sq mi (101.8 km2)|
|• Land||38.7 sq mi (100.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|Elevation||518 ft (158 m)|
|• Density||51.5/sq mi (19.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||05483, 05485|
|GNIS feature ID||1462207|
Geography[edit | edit source]
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.3 square miles (101.8 km2), of which 38.7 square miles (100.1 km2) is land and 0.7 square mile (1.7 km2) (1.70%) is water.
Demographics[edit | edit source]
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,990 people, 672 households, and 544 families residing in the town. The population density was 51.5 people per square mile (19.9/km2). There were 691 housing units at an average density of 17.9 per square mile (6.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 95.38% White, 0.15% African American, 2.31% Native American, 0.10% Pacific Islander, and 2.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.45% of the population. 39% were of French and French Canadian ancestry, 14% Irish, and 10% English.
There were 672 households out of which 42.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.9% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.0% were non-families. 12.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the town the population was spread out with 31.0% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 96.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $42,179, and the median income for a family was $45,833. Males had a median income of $30,870 versus $23,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,134. About 8.2% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.5% of those under age 18 and 17.7% of those age 65 or over.
Notable people[edit | edit source]
- Lorenzo A. Babcock, first Attorney General of Minnesota Territory
- Elihu Goodsell, Wisconsin legislator and businessman was born in Sheldon.
- Bob Laraba (1933-1962), professional and collegiate football player
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genealogyInfo.php?locIndex=25231
- ^ Minnesota Legislators Past and Present, Lorenzo A. Babcock
- ^ 'The Convention of 1846,' Milo Milton Qualife, Wisconsin Historical Society: 1919, Biographical Sketch of Elihu Goodsell, pg. 773
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Sheldon, Vermont. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|