|September 3 in recent years
September 3 is the 246th day of the year (247th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 119 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 36 BC - In the battle of Naulochus, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, admiral of Octavian, defeats Sextus Pompeius, son of Pompey, thus ending Pompeian resistance to the Second Triumvirate.
- 301 - San Marino, one of the smallest nations in the world and the world's oldest republic still in existence, is founded by Saint Marinus.
- 1189 - Richard I of England (a.k.a. Richard "the Lionheart") is crowned at Westminster.
- 1260 - The Mamluks defeat the Mongols at the Battle of Ain Jalut in Palestine, marking their first decisive defeat and the point of maximum expansion of the Mongol Empire.
- 1650 - Third English Civil War: Battle of Dunbar
- 1651 - Third English Civil War: Battle of Worcester - Charles II of England is defeated in the last main battle of the war.
- 1666 - The Royal Exchange burnt down in the Great Fire of London
- 1777 - Cooch's Bridge - Skirmish of American Revolutionary war in New Castle County, Delaware where the Flag of the United States was flown in battle for the first time.
- 1783 - American Revolutionary War: The war ends with the signing of the Treaty of Paris by the United States and the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1798 - Weeklong battle of St. George's Caye begun between Spanish and British off the coast of Belize.
- 1838 - Dressed in a sailor's uniform and carrying identification papers provided by a Free Black seaman, future abolitionist Frederick Douglass boards a train in Maryland on his way to freedom from slavery.
- 1855 - Indian Wars: In Nebraska, 700 soldiers under American General William S. Harney avenge the Grattan Massacre by attacking a Sioux village, killing 100 men, women, and children.
- 1861 - American Civil War: Confederate General Leonidas Polk invades neutral Kentucky, prompting the state legislature to ask for Union assistance.
- 1870 - Franco-Prussian War: the Siege of Metz begins, which will result in a decisive Prussian victory on October 23.
- 1874 - The congress of the state of México elevates Naucalpan to the category of Villa, with the title of "Villa de Juárez".
- 1878 - Over 640 die when the crowded pleasure boat Princess Alice collides with the Bywell Castle in the River Thames.
- 1914 - William leaves the country after just six months due to opposition to his rule.
- 1929 - Dow Jones Industrial Average reached all time high at the time (381.17), which was shortly followed by the Crash of 1929.
- 1933 - Yevgeniy Abalakov reaches the highest point of the Soviet Union - Communism Peak (7495 m).
- 1935 - Sir Malcolm Campbell reaches 304.331 miles per hour on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, becoming the first person to drive an automobile over 300 mph
- 1939 - World War II begins when France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Australia declare war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, starting the Allies.
- 1942 - World War II: Uprising of the Jewish ghetto in Lakhva occurs.
- 1943 - World War II: Mainland Italy is invaded by Allied forces for the first time in the war.
- 1944 - Holocaust: Diarist Anne Frank and her family are placed on the last transport train from Westerbork to Auschwitz, arriving three days later.
- 1951 - The first long-running American television soap opera, Search for Tomorrow, airs its first episode on the CBS network.
- 1954 - The People's Liberation Army begin shelling the ROC-controlled islands of Quemoy.
- 1954 - The German U-Boat U-505 began its move from a specially constructed dock to its final site at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.
- 1967 - Dagen H in Sweden: traffic changes from driving on the left to driving on the right overnight
- 1971 - Qatar becomes an independent state
- 1976 - Viking program: The Viking 2 spacecraft lands at Utopia Planitia on Mars.
- 1991 - In Hamlet, a grease fire breaks out at the Imperial Foods chicken processing plant, killing 25 people.
- 1994 - Sino-Soviet Split: Russia and the People's Republic of China agree to de-target their nuclear weapons against each other.
- 1995 - eBay founded.
- 1997 - A Vietnam Airlines Tupolev TU-134 crashes on approach into Phnom Penh airport, killing 64.
- 2004 - The Beslan school massacre ends in the deaths of approximately 344 people, mostly teachers and children.
- 1034 - Emperor Go-Sanjō of Japan (d. 1073)
- 1499 - Diane de Poitiers, mistress of Henri II of France (d. 1566)
- 1568 - Adriano Banchieri, Italian composer (d. 1634)
- 1675 - Paul Dudley, Attorney-General of Massachusetts (d. 1751)
- 1693 - Charles Radclyffe, British politician (d. 1746)
- 1695 - Pietro Locatelli, Italian composer (d. 1764)
- 1710 - Abraham Trembley, Swiss naturalist (d. 1784)
- 1724 - Guy Carleton, British soldier and Governor of Quebec (d. 1808)
- 1781 - Eugène de Beauharnais, son of Josephine de Beauharnais (d. 1824)
- 1810 - Paul Kane, Canadian painter (d. 1871)
- 1820 - George Hearst, (d. 1891) American businessman and father of newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst.
- 1849 - Sarah Orne Jewett, American writer (d. 1909)
- 1851 - Olga Konstantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece (d. 1926)
- 1856 - Louis Sullivan, American architect (d. 1924)
- 1869 - Fritz Pregl, Slovenian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1930)
- 1875 - Ferdinand Porsche, Austrian automotive engineer (d. 1951)
- 1887 - Frank Christian, American musician (d. 1973)
- 1897 - Sally Benson, American writer (d. 1972)
- 1899 - Frank Macfarlane Burnet, Australian biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1985)
- 1900 - Maurice Dobb, British economist (d. 1976)
- 1900 - Urho Kekkonen, Finnish politician (d. 1986)
- 1901 - Eduard van Beinum, Dutch conductor (d. 1959)
- 1905 - Carl David Anderson, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1991)
- 1907 - Loren Eiseley, American anthropologist (d. 1977)
- 1908 - Lev Semenovich Pontryagin, Russian mathematician (d. 1988)
- 1910 - Kitty Carlisle, American actress and television personality (d. 2007)
- 1910 - Maurice Papon, French Nazi collaborator (d. 2007)
- 1911 - Bernard Mammes, American cyclist (d. 2000)
- 1913 - Alan Ladd, American actor (d. 1964)
- 1914 - Dixy Lee Ray, American politician (d. 1994)
- 1916 - Eddie Stanky, American baseball player (d. 1999)
- 1918 - Helen Wagner, American actress
- 1921 - Marguerite Higgins, American reporter and war correspondent,Pulitzer prize winner
- 1921 - Thurston Dart, English harpsichordist and conductor (d. 1971)
- 1923 - Mort Walker, American cartoonist
- 1925 - Hank Thompson, American singer (d. 2007)
- 1926 - Alison Lurie, American novelist
- 1926 - Irene Papas, Greek actress
- 1928 - Gaston Thorn, President of the European Commission(d. 2007)
- 1929 - Carlo Clerici, Swiss cyclist (d. 2007)
- 1930 - Cherry Wilder, New Zealand author (d. 2002)
- 1931 - Dick Motta, American basketball coach
- 1933 - Tompall Glaser, American singer
- 1934 - Freddie King, American musician (d. 1976)
- 1938 - Eileen Brennan, American actress
- 1938 - Caryl Churchill, English playwright
- 1938 - Ryoji Noyori, Japanese chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1940 - Eduardo Galeano, Uruguayan journalist
- 1940 - Pauline Collins, English actress
- 1941 - Sergei Dovlatov, Russian writer (d. 1990)
- 1942 - Al Jardine, American musician (the Beach Boys)
- 1942 - John Shrapnel, English actor
- 1943 - Valerie Perrine, American actress
- 1943 - Frank Lister, Soccer player
- 1947 - Eric Bell, Irish guitarist (Thin Lizzy)
- 1947 - Kjell Magne Bondevik, Norwegian politician
- 1949 - Patriarch Peter VII of Alexandria (d. 2004)
- 1949 - José Pekerman, Argentine football manager
- 1950 - Doug Pinnick, American bassist and singer (King's X)
- 1953 - Jean-Pierre Jeunet, French film director
- 1955 - Steve Jones, English musician (Sex Pistols)
- 1956 - Pat McGeown, Provisional Irish Republican Army member
- 1957 - Garth Ancier, American television executive
- 1959 - Merritt Butrick, American actor (d. 1989)
- 1962 - Costas Mandylor, Australian-born actor
- 1963 - Amber Lynn, American porn star
- 1964 - Junaid Jamshed, Pakistani singer
- 1964 - Adam Curry, Internet entrepreneur
- 1964 - Holt McCallany, American actor
- 1965 - Charlie Sheen, American actor
- 1966 - Vladimir Ryzhkov, Russian politician
- 1969 - John Fugelsang, American actor
- 1969 - Dominic West, British actor
- 1970 - Gareth Southgate, English footballer
- 1971 - Chabeli Iglesias, Spanish journalist
- 1972 - Natalia Estrada, Spanish model and actress
- 1972 - Martin Straka, Czech ice hockey player
- 1973 - Jennifer Paige, American singer/songwriter
- 1973 - Damon Stoudamire, American basketball player
- 1973 - Norihiko Hibino, Japanese composer
- 1974 - Clare Kramer, American actress
- 1975 - Cristobal Huet, French hockey player
- 1976 - Vivek Oberoi, Indian actor
- 1976 - Ashley Jones, American actress
- 1976 - Jevon Kearse, American football player
- 1977 - Olof Mellberg, Swedish footballer
- 1977 - Rui Marques, Angolan footballer
- 1978 - John Curtis, English footballer
- 1978 - Paul Moor, English ten-pin bowler
- 1978 - Michal Rozsival, Czech ice hockey player
- 1978 - Nick Wechsler, American actor
- 1978 - Valfar, Norwegian heavy metal vocalist/musician (Windir) (d. 2004)
- 1979 - Tomo Miličević, Croatian-born American musician (30 Seconds to Mars)
- 1980 - The B.G., American rapper
- 1980 - Daniel Ruben Bilos, Argentinian footballer
- 1980 - Cone, Canadian bassist (Sum 41)
- 1980 - Jennie Finch, American softball player
- 1981 - Fearne Cotton, British television presenter
- 1982 - Kaori Natori, Japanese singer and model
- 1982 - Andrew McMahon, American singer and songwriter
- 1983 - Nicky Hunt, English footballer
- 1983 - Augusto Farfus, Brazilian racing driver
- 1983 - Marcus McCauley, American football player
- 1984 - Garrett Hedlund, American actor
- 1985 - Scott Carson, English footballer
- 1985 - Kelvin Wilson, English footballer
- 1986 - Shaun White, American snowboarder
- 1987 - Chris Fountain, English actor
- 1993 - Rina Koike, Japanese junior idol
- 1402 - Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan (b. 1351)
- 1420 - Robert Stewart, regent of Scotland
- 1592 - Robert Greene, English writer (b. 1558)
- 1634 - Edward Coke, English colonial entrepreneur and jurist (b. 1552)
- 1653 - Claudius Salmasius, French classical scholar (b. 1588)
- 1658 - Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England (b. 1599)
- 1662 - William Lenthall, English politician (b. 1591)
- 1720 - Henri de Massue, French soldier and diplomat (b. 1648)\
- 1722 - Ivan Skoropadsky, Hetman of Ukraine (b. 1646)
- 1729 - Jean Hardouin, French scholar (b. 1646)
- 1766 - Archibald Bower, Scottish historian (b. 1686)
- 1808 - John Montgomery, American Continental Congressman (b. 1722)
- 1857 - John McLoughlin, Canadian trapper (b. 1784)
- 1860 - Aleksey Khomyakov, Russian poet (b. 1804)
- 1866 - Konstantin Flavitsky, Russian painter (b. 1830)
- 1883 - Ivan Turgenev, Russian author (b. 1818)
- 1886 - William W. Snow, American politician (b. 1812)
- 1893 - James Harrison, Scottish-born inventor (b. 1816)
- 1903 - Joseph Skipsey, British poet (b. 1832)
- 1914 - Albéric Magnard, French composer (b. 1865)
- 1948 - Edvard Beneš, President of Czechoslovakia (b. 1884)
- 1961 - Robert E. Gross, American businessman (b. 1897)
- 1962 - E. E. Cummings, American poet (b. 1894)
- 1963 - Louis MacNeice, Irish poet (b. 1907)
- 1964 - Stewart Holbrook, American author (b. 1893)
- 1967 - James Dunn, American actor (b. 1905)
- 1968 - Isabel Withers, American actress (b. 1896)
- 1969 - John Lester, American cricketer (b. 1871)
- 1970 - Vince Lombardi, American football coach (b. 1913)
- 1970 - "Blind Owl" Wilson, American musician (Canned Heat) (b. 1943)
- 1974 - Harry Partch, American composer (b. 1901)
- 1980 - Duncan Renaldo, American actor (b. 1904)
- 1981 - Alec Waugh, English writer (b. 1898)
- 1987 - Morton Feldman, American composer (b. 1926)
- 1991 - Frank Capra, American film director (b. 1897)
- 1994 - James T. Aubrey, American television executive (b. 1918)
- 1994 - Billy Wright, English former footballer (b. 1924)
- 1994 - Major Lance, American singer (b. 1939)
- 1996 - Emily Kame Kngwarreye, Australian artist (b. 1910)
- 2000 - Edward Anhalt, American screenwriter (b. 1914)
- 2001 - Pauline Kael, American film critic (b. 1919)
- 2001 - Thuy Trang, American actress (b. 1973)
- 2002 - W. Clement Stone, American entrepreneur (b. 1902)
- 2003 - Paul Jennings Hill, American anti-abortion murderer (b. 1954)
- 2005 - Richard S.R. Fitter, British ornithologist and botanist (b. 1913)
- 2005 - William Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the United States (b. 1924)
- 2007 - Jane Tomlinson, British charity fund raiser (b. 1964)
- 2007 - Steve Ryan, American actor (b. 1947)
- 2007 - Syd Jackson, Māori activist and trade unionist (b. 1939)
Holidays and observances
127 Familypedia people were born on September 3
123 Familypedia people died on September 3
83 Familypedia people were first married on September 3