|September 1 in recent years
September 1 is the 244th day of the year (245th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 121 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 5509 BC - Epoch of the late Byzantine calendar.
- 462 - Possible start of first Byzantine indiction cycle.
- 1355 - Tvrtko I writes in castro nostro Vizoka vocatum from old town Visoki.
- 1532 - Lady Anne Boleyn is created Marchioness of Pembroke by her fiancée, King Henry VIII of England.
- 1644 - Battle of Tippermuir, Montrose defeats Elcho's Covenanters, reviving Royalist cause.
- 1715 - King Louis XIV of France dies after a reign of 72 years—the longest of any major European monarch.
- 1752 - The Liberty Bell arrives in Philadelphia.
- 1763 - Catherine II of Russia endorses Ivan Betskoy's plans for a Foundling Home in Moscow
- 1772 - Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa founded in San Luis Obispo.
- 1804 - Juno, one of the largest main belt asteroids, was discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding.
- 1807 - Former US Vice President Aaron Burr is acquitted of treason.
- 1836 - Narcissa Whitman, one of the first white women to settle west of the Rocky Mountains, arrives at Walla Walla.
- 1859 - A solar superstorm effects electrical telegraph service.
- 1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Chantilly - Confederate forces attack retreating Union troops in Chantilly.
- 1864 - American Civil War: Confederate General John Bell Hood evacuates Atlanta after a four-month siege by General Sherman.
- 1870 - Franco-Prussian War: Battle of Sedan is fought, resulting in a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1873 - Cetshwayo ascends to the throne as king of the Zulu nation following the death of his father Mpande.
- 1875 - A murder conviction effectively forces the violent Irish anti-owner coal miners, the "Molly Maguires", to disband.
- 1894 - Great Hinckley Fire: A forest fire in Hinckley, kills more than 400 people.
- 1897 - The Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground metro in North America.
- 1902 - A Trip to the Moon, considered one of the first science fiction films, is released in France.
- 1905 - Alberta and Saskatchewan join the Canadian confederation.
- 1906 - the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) is established.
- 1910 - Sport Club Corinthians Paulista, from Brazil, is founded.
- 1914 - St. Petersburg changes its name to Petrograd.
- 1914 - The last passenger pigeon, a female named Martha, dies in captivity in the Cincinnati Zoo.
- 1923 - The Great Kantō earthquake devastates Tokyo and Yokohama, killing about 100,000 people.
- 1928 - Ahmet Zogu declares Albania to be a monarchy and proclaims himself king.
- 1934 - SMJK Sam Tet was founded by Father Fourgs from the St. Michael Church, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.
- 1939 - World War II: Nazi Germany attacks Poland, beginning the war. (See Invasion of Poland.)
- 1939 - George C. Marshall becomes Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
- 1939 - The Wound Badge for Wehrmacht, SS, Kriegsmarine, and Luftwaffe soldiers is instituted. The final version of the Iron Cross was also instituted on this date.
- 1939 - Switzerland mobilises its forces and parliament elects Henri Guisan as head of army (an event that can only happen during war or during mobilisation)
- 1943 - World War II: Italy accepts armistice terms.
- 1951 - The United States, Australia and New Zealand sign a mutual defense pact, called the ANZUS Treaty.
- 1960 - Disgruntled railroad workers effectively halt operations of the Pennsylvania Railroad, marking the first shutdown in the history of the company.
- 1962 - Channel Television launches to 54,000 households in the Channel Islands.
- 1964 - Indian Oil Corporation formed after merging Indian Oil Refineries and Indian Oil Company.
- 1969 - A revolution in Libya brings Col. Muammar al-Gaddafi to power, which was later transferred to the People's Committees.
- 1970 - Attempted assassination of King Hussein of Jordan by Palestinian guerrillas, who attacked his motorcade.
- 1972 - In Reykjavík, Iceland, American Bobby Fischer beats Russian Boris Spassky and becomes the world chess champion.
- 1974 - The SR-71 Blackbird sets (and holds) the record for flying from New York to London: 1 hour 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds.
- 1975 - The last original episode of the American television series Gunsmoke airs on CBS after a record 20-year run.
- 1979 - The American space probe Pioneer 11 becomes the first spacecraft to visit Saturn when it passes the planet at a distance of 21,000 km.
- 1980 - Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope ends in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- 1980 - Chun Doo-hwan becomes president of South Korea after the resignation of Choi Kyu-ha.
- 1981 - A coup d'état in the Central African Republic overthrows President David Dacko.
- 1982 - Canada adopts a Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as part of its Constitution.
- 1982 - The United States Air Force Space Command is founded.
- 1983 - Cold War: Korean Air Flight 007 is shot down by a Soviet Union jet fighter when the commercial aircraft enters Soviet airspace. All 269 on board are killed, including US Congressmen Lawrence McDonald.
- 1985 - A joint American-French expedition locates the wreck of the RMS Titanic.
- 1988 - YTV was launched.
- 1990 - The Communist Labour Party of Turkey/Leninist is founded, following a split from the Communist Labour Party of Turkey.
- 1991 - Uzbekistan declares independence from the Soviet Union
- 1996 - Daniel Komen breaks the 3000 metres world record in Rieti, Italy
- 2001 - Almost every single commercial television station in Vancouver switches network affiliations after a round of ownership changes in 2000 - the largest change in North America.
- 2001 - The first orca calf (later named Nakai) is born through artificial insemination, to parents Kasatka and Tillikum.
- 2004 - The Beslan school hostage crisis begins when armed terrorists take hundreds of school children and adults hostage in the Russian town of Beslan in North Ossetia.
- 2005 - Seven members and former members of the AFL-CIO form a new trade union organization, the Change to Win Federation.
- 2006 - Luxembourg became to first country to complete the move to all digital Television broadcasting.
- 1286 - Elisabeth Richeza of Poland, Queen of Poland (d. 1335)
- 1453 - Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, Spanish general (d. 1515)
- 1566 - Edward Alleyn, English actor (d. 1626)
- 1588 - Henry II, French nobleman (d. 1646)
- 1651 - Nataliya Kyrillovna Naryshkina, Tsaritsa of Russia (d. 1694)
- 1653 - Johann Pachelbel, German composer (d. 1706)
- 1711 - William IV (d. 1759)
- 1795 - James Gordon Bennett, American newspaper publisher (d. 1872)
- 1848 - Auguste-Henri Forel, Swiss entomologist (d. 1931)
- 1854 - Engelbert Humperdinck, German composer (d. 1921)
- 1855 - Innokenty Annensky, Russian poet (d. 1909)
- 1856 - Sergei Winogradsky, Russian scientist (d. 1953)
- 1866 - James J. Corbett, American heavyweight boxer (d. 1933)
- 1868 - Henri Bourassa, French Canadian politician and publisher (d. 1952)
- 1871 - J. Reuben Clark, Jr., American Undersecretary of State (d. 1961)
- 1875 - Edgar Rice Burroughs, American writer (d. 1950)
- 1876 - Harriet Shaw Weaver, English political activist (d. 1961)
- 1877 - Francis William Aston, Nobel laureate (d. 1945)
- 1878 - Princess Alexandra of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (d. 1942)
- 1883 - Didier Pitre, French Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1934)
- 1884 - Sigurd Wallén, Swedish actor and filmdirector (d. 1947)
- 1887 - Blaise Cendrars, Swiss writer (d. 1961)
- 1888 - Andrija Štampar, Croatian physician (d. 1958)
- 1889 - Richard Arlen, American actor (d. 1976)
- 1895 - Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar, Indian musician (d. 1974)
- 1896 - A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Indian theologian (d. 1977)
- 1897 - Andy Kennedy, Irish footballer (d. 1963)
- 1899 - Andrei Platonov, Russian writer (d. 1951)
- 1904 - Johnny Mack Brown, American actor (d. 1974)
- 1905 - Elvera Sanchez, Puerto Rican dancer (d. 2000)
- 1906 - Joaquín Balaguer, President of the Dominican Republic (d. 2002)
- 1906 - Franz Biebl, German composer (d. 2001)
- 1907 - Walter Reuther, American labor union leader (d. 1970)
- 1909 - E. Herbert Norman, Canadian diplomat (d. 1957)
- 1913 - Christian Nyby, American director and film editor (d. 1993)
- 1920 - Richard Farnsworth, American actor (d. 2000)
- 1921 - Willem Frederik Hermans, Dutch writer (d. 1995)
- 1922 - Yvonne De Carlo, Canadian-born actress (d. 2007)
- 1922 - Vittorio Gassman, Italian actor (d. 2000)
- 1923 - Rocky Marciano, American boxer (d. 1969)
- 1923 - Kenneth Thomson, Canadian businessman (d. 2006)
- 1925 - Art Pepper, American musician (d. 1982)
- 1926 - Abdur Rahman Biswas, President of Bangladesh
- 1926 - Gene Colan, American comic book artist
- 1928 - Clifford Lincoln, Canadian politician
- 1928 - George Maharis, American actor
- 1929 - Anne Ramsey, American actress (d. 1988)
- 1931 - Boxcar Willie, American country musician (d. 1999)
- 1933 - Ann W. Richards, American politician (d. 2006)
- 1933 - Conway Twitty, American singer (d. 1993)
- 1935 - Seiji Ozawa, Japanese conductor
- 1937 - Ron O'Neal, American actor, director and screenwriter (d. 2004)
- 1937 - Al Geiberger, American golfer
- 1939 - Lily Tomlin, American actress and comedian
- 1942 - C. J. Cherryh, American writer
- 1943 - Don Stroud, American actor
- 1944 - Leonard Slatkin, American conductor
- 1945 - Mustafa Balel, Turkish writer
- 1946 - Barry Gibb, English singer (Bee Gees)
- 1946 - Roh Moo-Hyun, President of South Korea
- 1946 - Greg Errico, American drummer (Sly & the Family Stone)
- 1947 - Al Green, American politician
- 1948 - Józef Życiński, Polish archbishop and philosopher
- 1949 - P.A. Sangma, Indian politician
- 1950 - Phillip Fulmer, American football coach
- 1950 - Dr. Phil McGraw, American talk show host
- 1951 - Nicu Ceauşescu, Romanian politician (d. 1996)
- 1952 - Phil Hendrie, American radio personality
- 1954 - Dave Lumley, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1955 - Billy Blanks, American martial artist
- 1955 - Bruce Foxton, English bassist (The Jam)
- 1957 - Gloria Estefan, Cuban/American singer
- 1957 - Duško Ivanović, Montenegrin basketball coach
- 1958 - Armi Aavikko, Finnish singer (d. 2002)
- 1959 - Kenny Mayne, American sports journalist
- 1961 - Bam Bam Bigelow, American professional wrestler (d. 2007)
- 1962 - Ruud Gullit, Dutch footballer
- 1962 - Tony Cascarino, Irish footballer
- 1963 - Stephen Kernahan, Australian rules footballer
- 1963 - Carola Smit, Dutch singer
- 1964 - Brian Bellows, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1964 - Cécilia Rhode, Swedish model
- 1964 - Ray D'Arcy, Irish DJ and TV presenter
- 1966 - Tim Hardaway, American basketball player
- 1967 - David Whissell, Quebec politician
- 1968 - Mohammed Atta, Egyptian terrorist (d. 2001)
- 1969 - Henning Berg, Norwegian footballer
- 1970 - Hwang Jeong-min, South Korean actor
- 1970 - Vanna, Croatian singer
- 1970 - Mitsou, Quebec singer, television and radio host, actress
- 1971 - Ricardo Antonio Chavira, American actor
- 1971 - Yoshitaka Hirota, Japanese composer
- 1971 - Lââm, French singer
- 1971 - Jimmy Snuka, American professional wrestler
- 1971 - Hakan Şükür, Turkish footballer
- 1973 - J. D. Fortune, Canadian singer (INXS)
- 1973 - Zach Thomas, American football player
- 1974 - Jason Taylor, American football player
- 1974 - Jhonen Vasquez, American comic book artist
- 1975 - Scott Speedman, English-born actor
- 1975 - Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Australian singer (Rogue Traders)
- 1975 - Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Puerto Rican guitarist
- 1975 - Cuttino Mobley, American basketball player
- 1976 - Jada Fire, American pornographic actress
- 1976 - Marcos Ambrose, Australian racing driver
- 1976 - Erik Morales, Mexican boxer
- 1976 - Polly Shannon, Canadian actress
- 1976 - Sebastián Rozental, Chilean footballer
- 1977 - Aaron Schobel, American football player
- 1977 - Raffaele Giammaria, Italian racing driver
- 1977 - Shoshana Bean, American stage actress
- 1977 - David Albelda, Spanish footballer
- 1978 - Max Vieri, Australian soccer player
- 1978 - Lucie Blackman, English murder victim (d. 2000)
- 1979 - Robert P. Olsson, Swedish actor
- 1979 - James O'Connor, Irish footballer
- 1980 - Chris Riggott, English footballer
- 1980 - Sammy Adjei, Ghanaian footballer
- 1981 - Clinton Portis, American football player
- 1981 - Adam Quick, Australian basketball player
- 1982 - Ryan Gomes, American basketball player
- 1982 - Paul Dumbrell, Australian racing driver
- 1982 - Jeffrey Buttle, Canadian figure skater
- 1983 - José Antonio Reyes, Spanish footballer
- 1984 - Joseph Trohman, American musician (Fall Out Boy)
- 1984 - Nick Noble, American soccer player
- 1986 - Gaël Monfils, French tennis player
- 1986 - Anthony Allen
- 1987 - Dann Hume, New Zealand musician (Evermore)
- 1989 - Juliana Lohmann, Brazilian actress
- 1993 - Ilona Mitrecey, French singer
- 1994 - Bianca Ryan, American singer
- 1067 - Baldwin V of Flanders
- 1159 - Pope Adrian IV (b. 1100)
- 1256 - Kujo Yoritsune, Japanese shogun (b. 1218)
- 1414 - William de Ros, Lord Treasurer of England (b. 1369)
- 1557 - Jacques Cartier, French explorer (b. 1491)
- 1581 - Guru Ram Das, fourth Sikh Guru (b. 1534)
- 1600 - Tadeáš Hájek, Czech physician (b. 1525)
- 1615 - Étienne Pasquier, French lawyer (b. 1529)
- 1648 - Marin Mersenne, French mathematician (b. 1588)
- 1685 - Leoline Jenkins, Welsh lawyer (b. 1625)
- 1687 - Henry More, English philosopher (b. 1614)
- 1715 - François Girardon, French sculptor (b. 1628)
- 1715 - King Louis XIV of France (b. 1638)
- 1818 - Robert Calder, British naval officer (b. 1745)
- 1943 - Charles Atangana, Cameroonian chief (b. 1880)
- 1947 - Frederick Russell Burnham, father of the international Scouting movement (b. 1861)
- 1957 - Dennis Brain, English musician (b. 1921)
- 1967 - Siegfried Sassoon, English poet (b. 1886)
- 1967 - Ilse Koch, Nazi war criminal (b. 1906)
- 1969 - Drew Pearson, American newspaper columnist (b. 1897)
- 1970 - François Mauriac, French writer, Nobel laureate (b. 1885)
- 1977 - Ethel Waters, American singer (b. 1896)
- 1981 - Albert Speer, Nazi official (b. 1905)
- 1981 - Ann Harding, American actress (b. 1901)
- 1982 - Haskell Curry, American mathematician (b. 1900)
- 1982 - Wladyslaw Gomulka, Polish communist leader (b. 1905)
- 1983 - Henry M. Jackson, American politician (b. 1912)
- 1983 - Larry McDonald, American congressman (b. 1935)
- 1985 - Stefan Bellof, German race car driver (b. 1957)
- 1985 - Jay Youngblood, American wrestler (b. 1955)
- 1986 - Murray Hamilton, American actor (b. 1923)
- 1988 - Luis Alvarez, American physicist, Nobel laureate (b. 1911)
- 1989 - A. Bartlett Giamatti, American baseball commissioner (b. 1938)
- 1989 - Tadeusz Sendzimir, American inventor (b. 1894)
- 1994 - Boris Malenko, American professional wrestler (b. 1933)
- 1998 - Józef Krupiński, Polish poet (b. 1930)
- 1998 - Cary Middlecoff, American golfer (b. 1921)
- 1999 - W. Richard Stevens, Zambian computer scientist (b. 1951)
- 2001 - Brian Moore British sports commentator (b. 1932)
- 2003 - Sir Terry Frost, British artist (b. 1915)
- 2004 - Ahmed Kuftaro, Grand Mufti of Syria (b. 1915)
- 2005 - R.L. Burnside, American musician (b. 1926)
- 2005 - Thanos Leivaditis, Greek actor (b. 1934)
- 2006 - Sir Kyffin Williams, Welsh landscape painter (b. 1918)
- 2006 - Bob O'Connor, mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (b. 1944)
- 2006 - Nellie Connally, wife of Texas governor John Connally (b. 1919)
- 2006 - Warren Mitofsky, American pollster (b. 1934)
- 2007 - Roy McKenzie, New Zealand philanthropist (b. 1922)
Holidays and observances
148 Familypedia people were born on September 1
137 Familypedia people died on September 1
161 Familypedia people were first married on September 1
- ^ Cite error: Invalid
no text was provided for refs named