Samuel Merrill was born 24 September 1780 in Simsbury, Hartford County, Connecticut to Jared Merrill (1754-1832) and Abigail Phelps (1754-1831) and died 25 September 1878 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah of unspecified causes. He married Phoebe Odell (1788-1862) 10 September 1802 in Whitestown, Oneida County, New York. He married Anna Claudina Andersen (1820-1886) 8 November 1862 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah.
- 1780 - Birth in Connecticut
- 1802 - First Marriage in Whitestown, New York (age 22)
- 1847 - Wagon trip to Salt Lake Valley (Age 67)- Edward Hunter - Jacob Foutz Company (1847)
- 1862 - 2nd Marriage (age 82) : After Phoebe's death
- 1878 - Died in Salt Lake Valley (age 98)
Samuel Merrill was born to Jared Merrill and Abigail Phelps. Samuel married Phoebe Odell on September 10, 1802 in Whitestown, Oneida, New York. Samuel, Phoebe and their son, Will, departed on June 17, 1847 from Winter Quarters, Nebraska under the leadership of Edward Hunter Capt. 2nd Hundred. The party arrived in Salt Lake Valley on Sep 29, 1847.
Marriage & Family
1st Marriage: Phoebe
Married (1) : Phoebe Odell (1788-1862) in Whitestown, NY.
- Emily Phelps Merrill (1804-1890)
- Justin Jared Merrill (1806-1889)
- Lucy Ann Merrill (1808-1884)
- Philemon Merrill (1810-1812) - Died young
- Samuel Bemis Merrill (1812-1891)
- Ferdinand Daniel Merrill (1814-1823)
- Polly Matilda Merrill (1817-1891)
- Melissa Ruth Merrill (1818-1831)
- Philemon Christopher Merrill (1820-1904)] - Mormon Btn Veteran and 1850 Mormon Pioneer Wagon Company Leader
- Daniel Morgan Merrill (1823-)
- Albina Mariam Merrill (1826-1914) - March in Mormon Btn with her husband and two small children, gave birth to a third in Pueblo CO.
- Phoebe Lodema Merrill (1832-1909) - Nurse in Mormon Btn
2nd Marriage: Anna
- Phoebe Merrill (1863-1854)
- Rebecca Ruby Merrill (1866-1954)
|Offspring of Samuel Merrill and Anna Claudina Andersen (1820-1886)|
|Phoebe Merrill (1863-1954)|| |
|Rebecca Ruby Merrill (1866-1954)|
1847 Wagon Company
Edward Hunter - Jacob Foutz Company 1847 Mormon Pioneer Wagon Company.
155 individuals and 59 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post on the Elkhorn River about 27 miles west of Winter Quarters, Nebraska. Departure 19 Jun 1847 / Arrival 01 Oct 1847.
- Merrill, Phoebe Odell 60 22 April 1788 26 January 1862 (Samuel's wife)
- Merrill, Samuel 63 25 September 1780 25 September 1878 (Do the math here - he is obviously turned age 67 midway thru the wagon trek.)
- Merrill, William Wallace 12 10 December 1835 22 June 1915 (Most likely a grandson)