Roger Sherman Baldwin was born 4 January 1793 in New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, United States to Simeon Baldwin (1761-1851) and Rebecca Sherman (1764-1795) and died 19 February 1863 New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, United States of unspecified causes. He married Emily Pitkin Perkins (1796-1874) 25 October 1820 in Hartford, Connecticut, United States.
Roger Sherman Baldwin was an American politician and lawyer
- 32nd Governor of Connecticut (1844-1846)
- United States Senator (1847-1851)
- Lawyer, his career was most notable for his participation in the 1841 Amistad case.
Baldwin was son of Simeon Baldwin and Rebecca Sherman in New Haven, Connecticut. He was the maternal grandson of notable founding father Roger Sherman (the only person to sign all four great state papers of the U.S.: the Continental Association, the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution). He attended Hopkins School, and entered Yale College at the age of fourteen, and graduated with high honors in 1811. At Yale, Baldwin was a member of the Linonian Society. After leaving Yale he studied law in his father's office in New Haven, and also in the Litchfield Law School, and was admitted to the bar in 1814. Although repeatedly called into public office, he devoted himself through life to the profession of his choice, attaining the highest distinction, especially in the discussion of questions of law. His defense in 1841, of the rights of the Africans of the Amistad, is particularly celebrated, both for his ability and for the importance of the case.
Marriage & Family
He was grandson of the famous founding father Roger Sherman, son of Simeon Baldwin, nephew of Ebenezer Baldwin, husband of Emily Pitkin Perkins, father of Connecticut Governor Simeon Eben Baldwin, grandfather of New York Supreme Court Justice Edward Baldwin Whitney (1857-1911), and the great-grandfather of the famed Princeton University mathematics professor Hassler Whitney (1907-1989).
- Edward Baldwin (1822-1848)#
- Harriet Perkins Baldwin (1824-1910)
- Elizabeth Wooster Baldwin (1824-1912) - md William Dwight Whitney (1827-1894), American linguist, philologist, and lexicographer who edited The Century Dictionary.
- Roger Sherman Baldwin (1826-1856)
- Ebenezer Simeon Baldwin (1828-1836)
- Henrietta Perkins Baldwin (1830-1910)
- George William Baldwin (1832-1920)
- Emily Francis Baldwin (1834-1836)
- Ebenezer Charles Baldwin (1837-1837)
- Simeon Eben Baldwin (1840-1927) - 65th governor of Connecticut
- Roger Sherman Baldwin - Wikipedia
- Roger Sherman Baldwin at Find A Grave
- Roger Sherman Immigrant Ancestors