|Pocahontas County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
579 sq mi (1,500 km²)
577 sq mi (1,494 km²)
1.4 sq mi (4 km²), 0.2%
13/sq mi (5/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Geography[edit | edit source]
Major highways[edit | edit source]
Adjacent counties[edit | edit source]
- Palo Alto County (north)
- Humboldt County (east)
- Webster County (southeast)
- Calhoun County (south)
- Buena Vista County (west)
Demographics[edit | edit source]
|U.S. Decennial Census|
2010 census[edit | edit source]
The 2010 census recorded a population of 7,310 in the county, with a population density of 12.654/sq mi (4.886/km2). There were 3,794 housing units, of which 3,233 were occupied.
2000 census[edit | edit source]
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,662 people, 3,617 households, and 2,430 families residing in the county. The population density was 15 people per square mile (6/km²). There were 3,988 housing units at an average density of 7 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.49% White, 0.24% Black or African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. 0.89% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,617 households out of which 29.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.30% were married couples living together, 5.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.80% were non-families. 30.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.40% under the age of 18, 5.30% from 18 to 24, 23.40% from 25 to 44, 24.10% from 45 to 64, and 21.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 96.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,362, and the median income for a family was $40,568. Males had a median income of $27,929 versus $20,515 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,006. About 6.60% of families and 9.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.30% of those under age 18 and 6.50% of those age 65 or over.
Communities[edit | edit source]
Cities[edit | edit source]
Unincorporated communities[edit | edit source]
Townships[edit | edit source]
Population ranking[edit | edit source]
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|5||Gilmore City (partially in Humboldt County)||City||504|
See also[edit | edit source]
- Pocahontas County Courthouse
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Pocahontas County, Iowa
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19151.html. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ a b History, Pocahontas County Economic Development.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
[edit | edit source]
- Pocahontas County Economic Development Commission
- "Pocahontas. II. A N. W. county of Iowa". The American Cyclopædia. 1879.
|Palo Alto County|
|Buena Vista County||Humboldt County|
Pocahontas County, Iowa
|Calhoun County||Webster County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Pocahontas County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|