1635 Immigration to America
Watertown Founders Monument
Her husband (Thomas Arnold) is listed on Watertown Founders Monument, commemorating the first settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts. The town was first known as Saltonstall Plantation, one of the earliest of the Massachusetts Bay Colony settlements. Founded in early 1630 by a group of settlers led by Richard Saltonstall and George Phillips, it was officially incorporated that same year. The alternate spelling "Waterton" is seen in some early documents.
- Thomas Arnold Admitted Freeman: 13 May 1640, in Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA (NEHGR Vol. 33 (1879) p. 435). Reference: 11X.
He afterwards removed to Providence in 1654 , living near the North school house. It may be that he was at Watertown as late as April, 1657, but he was in Providence by October 1661 when he sold land in Watertown to John Whitney (1624-1692). The following October, he and his wife sold their house, barn and 16 acres of land in Watertown to John Wincoll.
1651 Rhode Island move
1651- The History and Genealogy of Stukely Westcott by Roscoe L. Whitman states that Thomas Arnold moved to Smithfield (the section of old Providence, RI which was set off as Smithfield RI in 1731 and as Lincoln, RI in 1871). Other sources state he moved to Providence, RI ten years later in 1661.
On 5/18/1658, he was made a freeman of Rhode Island. In February, 1665 he was granted lot 83 in Providence in a division of lands. He was deputy for Providence in the RI General Assembly in 10/1666 again in years 1667, 1670-2. In 1672, he served on the Town Council.
His will recorded in Boston shows he owned nearly 10,000 acres of land at the time of his death.
Marriage and Family
1st Marriage: Daniel Cane
2nd Marriage: Phoebe Parkhurst
- Ichabod Arnold, b. 1 Mar 1641, Watertown, Hampden Co., MA, USA , d. Yes, date unknown
- Richard Arnold, b. 22 Mar 1642, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA , d. 22 Apr 1710, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA (Age 68 years)
- Thomas Arnold, b. 1643, Watertown, Hampden Co., MA, USA , d. Yes, date unknown
- Sarah Arnold, b. Abt 1644, Watertown, Hampden Co., MA, USA , d. Yes, date unknown
- John Arnold, b. 19 Feb 1648, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA , d. 5 Jan 1722, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA (Age 73 years)
- Eleazer Arnold, b. 17 Jun 1651, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA , d. 29 Aug 1722, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA (Age 71 years)
- Elizabeth Arnold, b. 1655, Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA, USA , d. 20 Oct 1747, Providence, Providence Co., RI, USA (Age 92 years)
|Offspring of Thomas Arnold and Phoebe Parkhurst (1612-1688)|
|Ichabod Arnold (1640-)|| |
|Richard Arnold (1642-1710)||22 March 1642 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts||22 April 1710 Providence County, Rhode Island|| Mary Angell (1645-1687)|
Sarah Whipple (1642-1712)
|Thomas Arnold (1644-1721)|| |
|Sarah Arnold (1645-)|| |
|Elizabeth Arnold (1649-1747)|| |
|John Arnold (1648-1723)|| |
|Eleazer Arnold (1651-1722)|
|Offspring of George Parkhurst, Sr. and Phebe Leete (1585-1642)|
|Mary Parkhurst (1614-1687)|| |
|Samuel Parkhurst (1617-1641)|| |
|Deborah Parkhurst (1619-1686)|| |
|George Parkhurst (1621-1699)||5 June 1621 Ipswich, Suffolk, England||16 March 1699 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts|| Sarah Brown (1620-1649)|
Sarah Garfield (1616-1650)
Mary Veazey (1620-1681)
|John Parkhurst (1623-1641)|| |
|Abigail Parkhurst (1626-1641)|| |
|Elizabeth Parkhurst (1628-1678)|| |
|Joseph Parkhurst (1629-1709)|| |
|Phoebe Parkhurst (1612-1688)||1612 Ipswich, Suffolk, England||1688 Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island|| Daniel Cane (1605-1640)|
Thomas Arnold (1599-1674)
|Offspring of George Parkhurst, Sr. and Susanna Simpson (1610-1691)|
|Baby Parkhurst (1646-1655)|| |
|Benjamin Parkhurst (1646-1684)|| |
|Daniel Parkhurst (1649-)|| |
|Joshua Parkhurst (1652-)|| |
|Caleb Parkhurst (1654-)|