|— Town —|
|• Total||5.3 sq mi (13.6 km2)|
|• Land||5.3 sq mi (13.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,818 ft (554 m)|
|• Density||130/sq mi (49/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1296690|
Palmer is located at .(35.356381, -85.561987)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.3 square miles (14 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 726 people, 305 households, and 207 families residing in the town. The population density was 138.0 people per square mile (53.3/km²). There were 331 housing units at an average density of 62.9 per square mile (24.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.76% White, and 1.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.28% of the population.
There were 305 households out of which 22.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.5% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.1% were non-families. 28.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the town the population was spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 27.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $19,167, and the median income for a family was $23,929. Males had a median income of $29,167 versus $17,292 for females. The per capita income for the town was $10,251. About 23.8% of families and 27.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.1% of those under age 18 and 23.3% of those age 65 or over.
- The artist, Jon Coffelt spent a good part of his childhood with his grandparents in Palmer. His grandfather John Ervin Coffelt taught him how to paint at eight years old.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey. Collins, TN. 1:24,000.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/decennial/. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- ^ "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/popest/data/cities/totals/2012/SUB-EST2012.html. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- ^ Coffelt's background
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Palmer, Tennessee. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|