|November 14 in recent years
November 14 is the 318th day of the year (319th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 47 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1862 - American Civil War: President Abraham Lincoln approves General Ambrose Burnside's plan to capture the Confederate capital at Richmond, leading to the Battle of Fredericksburg.
- 1889 - Pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in seventy-two days.
- 1910 - Aviator Eugene Ely performs the first take off from a ship in Hampton Roads. He took off from a makeshift deck on the USS Birmingham in a Curtiss pusher.
- 1918 - Czechoslovakia becomes a republic.
- 1921 - The Communist Party of Spain is founded.
- 1922 - The BBC begins radio service in the United Kingdom.
- 1923 - Kentaro Suzuki completes his ascent of Mount Iizuna.
- 1940 - World War II: In England, the city of Coventry is heavily bombed by German Luftwaffe bombers. Coventry Cathedral is almost completely destroyed.
- 1941 - World War II: The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal sinks due to torpedo damage from U 81 sustained on November 13.
- 1952 - First regular UK singles chart published by the New Musical Express.
- 1957 - The Apalachin Meeting outside Binghamton is raided by law enforcement, and many high level Mafia figures are arrested.
- 1959 - The Clutter family is murdered in rural Kansas. This incident inspired the Truman Capote novel, In Cold Blood.
- 1965 - Vietnam War: Battle of the Ia Drang begins - the first major engagement between regular American and North Vietnamese forces.
- 1967 - The Congress of Colombia in commemoration of the 150 years of the death of Policarpa Salavarrieta, declares this day as "Day of the Colombian Woman".
- 1969 - Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 12, the second manned mission to the surface of the Moon.
- 1970 - Southern Airlines Flight 932 crashes in the mountains near Huntington, killing 75, including members of the Marshall University football team.
- 1971 - His Holiness Shenouda III is consecrated as the 117th Patriarch of Alexandria and the See of St. Mark, the Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
- 1972 - The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above 1,000 (1,003.16) for the first time.
- 1973 - In the United Kingdom, Princess Anne marries Captain Mark Phillips, in Westminster Abbey.
- 1975 - Spain abandons Western Sahara.
- 1979 - Iran hostage crisis: US President Jimmy Carter issues Executive order 12170, freezing all Iranian assets in the United States in response to the hostage crisis.
- 1982 - Lech Wałęsa, the leader of Poland's outlawed Solidarity movement, is released after eleven months of internment near the Soviet border.
- 1990 - After German reunification, the (extended) Federal Republic of Germany and the Republic of Poland sign a treaty confirming the Oder-Neisse line as the border between Germany and Poland.
- 1991 - American and British authorities announce indictments against two Libyan intelligence officials in connection with the downing of the Pan Am Flight 103.
- 1991 - Cambodian Prince Norodom Sihanouk returns to Phnom Penh after thirteen years of exile.
- 1991 - In Royal Oak, a fired United States Postal Service employee goes on a shooting rampage, killing four and wounding five before committing suicide.
- 1993 - Don Shula of the Miami Dolphins sets an NFL record of 325 wins as a coach. He would finish his career with 347 wins.
- 1995 - A budget standoff between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. Congress forces the federal government to temporarily close national parks and museums and to run most government offices with skeleton staffs.
- 2000 - Netscape Navigator version 6.0 is launched following two years of open source development.
- 2001 - War in Afghanistan: Afghan Northern Alliance fighters takeover the capital Kabul.
- 2002 - Argentina defaults on an $805 million World Bank payment.
- 2002 - The United States House of Representatives votes not to create an independent commission to investigate the September 11 attacks.
- 2003 - Asteroid 90377 Sedna is discovered.
- 1567 - Maurice of Nassau (d. 1625)
- 1601 - Jean Eudes, French missionary (d. 1680)
- 1650 - King William III of England (d. 1702)
- 1719 - Leopold Mozart, Austrian composer (d. 1787)
- 1740 - Johann van Beethoven, Ludwig van Beethoven's father and first teacher (d. 1792)
- 1746 - Giulio Gabrielli the Younger, Italian Cardinal
- 1765 - Robert Fulton, American inventor (d. 1815)
- 1771 - Marie François Xavier Bichat, French anatomist and physiologist (d. 1802)
- 1776 - Henri Dutrochet, French physiologist (d. 1847)
- 1778 - Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Austrian pianist and composer (d. 1837)
- 1779 - Adam Gottlob Oehlenschläger, Danish poet (d. 1850)
- 1797 - Charles Lyell, British geologist (d. 1875)
- 1803 - Jacob Abbott, American writer (d. 1879)
- 1805 - Fanny Mendelssohn, German composer and pianist (d. 1847)
- 1812 - Aleardo Aleardi, Italian poet (d. 1878)
- 1812 - Maria Christina of Savoy, queen of the Two Sicilies (d. 1836)
- 1828 - James B. McPherson, American Civil War general (d. 1864)
- 1838 - August Senoa, Croatian writer (d. 1881)
- 1840 - Claude Monet, French painter (d. 1926)
- 1863 - Leo Hendrik Baekeland, Flemish-American chemist and inventor of the first synthetic plastic, Bakelite (d. 1944)
- 1875 - Jakob Schaffner, Swiss novelist (d. 1944)
- 1878 - Leopold Staff, Polish poet (d. 1957)
- 1889 - Jawaharlal Nehru, First Prime Minister of India and Freedom Fighter (d.1964)
- 1891 - Frederick Banting, Canadian physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1941)
- 1896 - Mamie Eisenhower, First Lady of the United States (d. 1979)
- 1898 - Benjamin Fondane, Romanian-French writer and filmmaker (d. 1944)
- 1900 - Aaron Copland, American composer (d. 1990)
- 1904 - Harold Larwood, English cricketer (d. 1995)
- 1904 - Dick Powell, American actor (d. 1963)
- 1905 - John Henry Barbee, American guitarist and singer (d. 1964)
- 1906 - Louise Brooks, American dancer, actress, and movie historian (d. 1985)
- 1907 - Howard W. Hunter, American religious leader (d. 1995)
- 1907 - Astrid Lindgren, Swedish writer (d. 2002)
- 1907 - William Steig, American children's book author (d. 2003)
- 1908 - Joseph McCarthy, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin (d. 1957)
- 1910 - Eric Malpass, English novelist (d. 1996)
- 1912 - Barbara Hutton, American socialite (d. 1979)
- 1912 - T. Y. Lin, Chinese-born civil engineer (d. 2003)
- 1915 - Martha Tilton, American singer (d. 2006)
- 1916 - Roger Apéry, Greek-French mathematician (d. 1994)
- 1916 - Sherwood Schwartz, American television writer and producer
- 1919 - Johnny Desmond, American singer (d. 1985)
- 1919 - Lisa Otto, German soprano
- 1919 - Veronica Lake, American actress (d. 1973)
- 1921 - Brian Keith, American actor (d. 1997)
- 1922 - Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Egyptian UN Secretary-General
- 1924 - Leonid Borisovitch Kogan, Russian violinist (d. 1982)
- 1927 - Bart Cummings, Australian race horse trainer
- 1927 - McLean Stevenson, American actor (d. 1996)
- 1927 - Narciso Yepes, Spanish classical guitarist (d. 1997)
- 1929 - Jimmy Piersall, American baseball player
- 1930 - Edward White, American astronaut (d. 1967)
- 1930 - Shirley Crabtree, professional wrestler (d. 1997)
- 1930 - Monique Mercure, French Canadian actress
- 1933 - Fred Haise, American astronaut
- 1934 - Catherine McGuinness, Irish Supreme Court Justice
- 1934 - Kurt Hamrin, Swedish soccer player
- 1935 - King Hussein of Jordan (d. 1999)
- 1936 - Freddie Garrity, English singer (Freddie and the Dreamers) (d. 2006)
- 1936 - Cornell Gunter, American singer (The Coasters) (d. 1990)
- 1937 - Murray Oliver, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1939 - Wendy Carlos, American composer
- 1943 - Peter Norton, American software engineer
- 1945 - Paul Hirsch, American film editor
- 1945 - Stella Obasanjo, Nigerian First Lady
- 1947 - P. J. O'Rourke, American writer
- 1947 - Bharathan, Malayalam film director (d. 1998)
- 1948 - Charles
- 1949 - James Young, American guitarist (Styx)
- 1951 - Zhang Yimou, Chinese film director
- 1951 - Stephen Bishop, American musician
- 1953 - Dominique de Villepin, Prime Minister of France
- 1954 - Bernard Hinault, French cyclist
- 1954 - Condoleezza Rice, United States Secretary of State
- 1954 - Yanni, Greek musician & composer
- 1953 - Phil Baron, American voice actor
- 1955 - Koichi Nakano, Japanese cyclist
- 1956 - Alec John Such, American bassist (Bon Jovi)
- 1959 - Paul McGann, British actor
- 1961 - Gordon Jennison Noice, American actor
- 1961 - D. B. Sweeney, American actor
- 1961 - Antonio Flores, Spanish singer and songwriter (d. 1995)
- 1962 - Laura San Giacomo, American actress
- 1962 - Harland Williams, Canadian-born actor
- 1964 - Bill Hemmer, American television news reporter
- 1964 - Patrick Warburton, American actor
- 1964 - Rev Run, American rapper
- 1966 - Curt Schilling, American baseball player
- 1966 - Petra Roßner, German cyclist
- 1967 - Letitia Dean, British actress
- 1967 - Nina Gordon, American singer
- 1968 - Janine Lindemulder, American porn actress
- 1968 - Serge Postigo, Quebec actor
- 1969 - Butch Walker, recording artist
- 1970 - David Wesley, American basketball player
- 1971 - Adam Gilchrist, Australian cricketer
- 1971 - Marco Leonardi, Italian-Australian actor
- 1972 - Matthew Bloom, American professional wrestler
- 1972 - Josh Duhamel, American actor
- 1972 - Edyta Górniak, Polish singer
- 1972 - Martin Pike, Australian rules footballer
- 1972 - Aaron Taylor, American football player
- 1973 - Lawyer Milloy, American football player
- 1973 - Dana Snyder, American voice actor
- 1973 - Moka Only, Canadian musician
- 1974 - Matt Cedeño, Cuban-American actor
- 1974 - David Moscow, American actor
- 1974 - Adam Walsh, American murder victim (d. 1981)
- 1975 - Travis Barker, American musician (Blink 182, +44)
- 1977 - Obie Trice, American rapper
- 1978 - Xavier Nady, American baseball player
- 1978 - Mersing Nguyen, American actress
- 1978 - Bobby Allen, American ice hockey player
- 1979 - Mavie Hörbiger, German actress
- 1979 - Jean-Alain Boumsong, French footballer
- 1979 - Tobin Esperance, American musician (Papa Roach)
- 1981 - Tom Ferrier, British racing driver
- 1983 - Lil Boosie, American rapper
- 1984 - Marija Šerifović, Serbian singer
- 1986 - Berta Grosser, German actress
- 565 - Justinian the Great, Byzantine Emperor (b. 483)
- 1226 - Frederick of Isenberg, German politician (executed) (b. 1193)
- 1263 - Alexander Nevsky, Grand Prince of Novgorod and Vladimir
- 1359 - Gregory Palamas, Archbishop of Thessalonica (b. 1296)
- 1522 - Anne of France, Princess and Regent of France (b. 1461)
- 1556 - Giovanni della Casa, Italian poet (b. 1504)
- 1633 - William Ames, English philosopher (b. 1576)
- 1687 - Nell Gwynne, English mistress of Charles II of England (b. 1650)
- 1691 - Tosa Mitsuoki, Japanese painter (b. 1617)
- 1716 - Gottfried Leibniz, German philosopher and mathematician (b. 1646)
- 1734 - Louise de Kérouaille, French-born mistress of Charles II of England (b. 1649)
- 1746 - Georg Steller, German naturalist (b. 1709)
- 1817 - Policarpa Salavarrieta, Colombian revolutionary (b. 1795)
- 1825 - Jean Paul, German writer (b. 1763)
- 1829 - Louis Nicolas Vauquelin, French pharmacist (b. 1763)
- 1831 - Georg Hegel, German philosopher (b. 1770)
- 1831 - Ignaz Pleyel, Austrian-born French composer, music publisher and piano manufacturer (b. 1757)
- 1832 - Charles Carroll of Carrollton, American statesman (b. 1737)
- 1844 - John Abercrombie, British physician (b. 1780)
- 1866 - King Miguel of Portugal (b. 1802)
- 1872 - Pavel Kiselyov, Russian general and politician (b. 1788)
- 1907 - Andrew Inglis Clark, Australian politician (b. 1848)
- 1908 - The Guangxu Emperor of China, (b. 1871)
- 1914 - Vengayil Kunhiraman Nayanar, Malayalin journalist (b. 1861)
- 1915 - Booker T. Washington, American inventor (b. 1856)
- 1916 - Henry George, American politician (b. 1862)
- 1916 - Saki, British writer (b. 1870)
- 1937 - Jack O'Connor, American baseball player (b. 1869)
- 1944 - Carl Flesch, Hungarian violinist (b. 1873)
- 1946 - Manuel de Falla, Spanish composer (b. 1876)
- 1947 - Joseph Allard, French Canadian fiddler (b. 1873)
- 1971 - William Bendeck, Bolivian rally driver (b. 1934)
- 1972 - Martin Dies, American politician (b. 1900)
- 1974 - Johnny Mack Brown, American actor (b. 1904)
- 1977 - A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Founder-Acarya of ISKCON (b. 1896)
- 1981 - Robert Bradford, Northern Irish footballer (b. 1941)
- 1991 - Tony Richardson, English film director (b. 1928)
- 1992 - Ernst Happel, Austrian football coach (b. 1925)
- 1994 - Tom Villard, American actor (b. 1953)
- 1996 - John A. Cade, American politician (b. 1929)
- 1997 - Eddie Arcaro, American jockey (b. 1916)
- 1997 - Jack Pickersgill, Canadian politician (b. 1905)
- 2000 - Robert Trout, American journalist (b. 1908)
- 2001 - Charlotte Coleman, British actress (b. 1968)
- 2001 - Juan Carlos Lorenzo, Argentine footballer (b. 1922)
- 2002 - Eddie Bracken, American film actor (b. 1915)
- 2003 - Gene Anthony Ray, American actor (b. 1962)
- 2004 - Michel Colombier, French composer (b. 1939)
Holidays and observances
108 Familypedia people were born on November 14
138 Familypedia people died on November 14
102 Familypedia people were first married on November 14