The Northeastern United States is a region of the United States as defined by the United States Census Bureau. The region comprises nine states: the New England states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont; and the Mid-Atlantic states of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. The Census Bureau regions are "widely used . . . for data collection and analysis." Not all definitions of the Northeastern United States, however, are the same as the Census Bureau's.
Composition[edit | edit source]
The region comprises the Census Bureau sub-regions designated as "New England" and "Middle Atlantic." The Census Bureau classifies other states generally included in definitions of the Mid-Atlantic states--Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia--as part of the South Atlantic region, part of the Southern United States.
Demography[edit | edit source]
The Northeastern United States, as defined by the Census Bureau, is the wealthiest region of the United States. The region accounts for approximately 25% of U.S. gross domestic product as of 2007. As of the 2010 Census, the population of the region totaled 55,317,240. 
|Rank||Metropolitan Area||State(s) and/or Territory||2009|
|1||New York||CT, NJ, NY||22,232,494|
|2||Philadelphia||DE, NJ, PA||5,827,962|
|Rank||City||State(s) and/or Territory||July 1, 2008 Population Estimate|
|1||New York City||NY||8,363,710|
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c "Census Regions and Divisions of the United States". US Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf.
- ^ US Regional Divisions, accessed 16 Apr 2008
- ^ U.S. Energy Information Administration, "The National Energy Modeling System: An Overview 2003", Report #:DOE/EIA-0581(2009) (October 2009).
- ^ "The most widely used regional definitions follow those of the U.S. Bureau of the Census." Seymour Sudman & Norman M. Bradburn, Asking Questions: A Practical Guide to Questionnaire Design, Jossey-Bass (1982): p. 205.
- ^ "Perhaps the most widely used regional classification system is one developed by the U.S. Census Bureau." Dale M. Lewison, Retailing, Prentice Hall (1997): p. 384. ISBN 9780134614274
- ^ "Northeast", MSN Encarta dictionary.
- ^ American Heritage Dictionary on dictionary.com, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/northeast
- ^ "Word Net Definition". http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=mid-atlantic. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- ^ Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by State
- ^ http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-01.pdf
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Northeastern United States (U.S. Census Bureau). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|