Born in Urlați, Nicolae S. Basilescu (1860-1938) graduated in 1881 from the Law Faculty of the University of Bucharest, with a thesis on the "Dowry in Roman and Romanian Law" and then got his doctor's degree in 1884 at the University of Paris with the thesis in private law "On the conflict of laws related to the succession ab intestat" and the thesis on Roman Law "On the essential conditions for the formation of the muttum".
Upon his return to Romania, besides working as a lawyer, in 1893 he was appointed professor of law and political economy aA fost profesor universitar de drept și economie politică at the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University in Iași and in 1897 at the University of Bucharest.
In 1887 he was also appointed secretary of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania and was elected several times member of the Chamber of Deputies. Among his main publications which are of interest even today, the most important are:
- Economia politică și ideea socială (Political economy and social concerns) 1900,
- L’industrie roumaine (Romanian industry) 1910,
- Note sur le chiffre de la population du Royaume de Roumanie (Note about the estimation of population in the Kingdom of Romania) 1897,
- Pentru țărănime (In support of the peasantry) 1914,
- Le rôle de la Roumanie dans la guerre européenne et les revendications de la Roumanie (The role of Romania in the European War and the Romanian claims) 1915,
- Studii Sociale (Social studies)1902-1905
|Offspring of Nicolae Basilescu and Ecaterina Pascal (c1865-1900)|
|Aristide Basilescu (1892-1969)||1892 Bucharest, Romania||1969 Romania||Aglae Saint Georges de Posingen (c1895-1958)|
|Lidia Basilescu (c1893-1933)||1893||25 March 1933 Belgrade, Serbia||Henri-Vasile Bogdan (1887-1966)|
|Margareta Basilescu (c1895-1961)||Jeannot Vlădoianu (c1880-c1950)|