Capt. Nathan Brigham was born 17 June 1671 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts to Thomas Brigham (1641-1717) and Mary Rice (1646-1695) and died 16 February 1746 Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts of unspecified causes. He married Elizabeth Maynard (1664-1733) 1692 in Southborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
Residence: Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts 24 25 "He settled on part of the old Marlboro homestead, inherited the town rights of his father and drew shares when the land was divided." (Historic Homes and Institutions and Genealogical and Personal Memoirs... Worcester County, Mass. p. 15) Miscellaneous: before 1738, "He held many town offices, was seven years selectman, his last year being 1738" 26 27 Occupation: weaver 28 Will: 05 Apr 1733 29 30 He left to his oldest son Nathan his "bible, books, cane and sword." Probate: 26 Mar 1747, and his estate divided among his heirs 31 32
Which Wife Is It?
Notes: The History of the Town of Marlborough has different spouses for Nathan Brigham (p. 334) "Nathan Brigham m. Elizabeth Howe, who d. March 29, 1733, aged 69; found d. kneeling beside her chair in her house. He m. 2d, Mehetabel Parke."
Many other sources claim he married Elizabeth Maynard. Both James Maynard and John Howe were founding settlers of Marlboro.
Marriage & Family
Per Andrew Ward in his Rice Family History - this Nathan Brigham md Elizabeth Howe who was the mother of these children. They resided at Marlborough MA and he died there at age 75.
"The wife of Capt. Nathan Brigham of Marl. tarried at home alone in the afternoon of 29 March 1733, it being fast day, and when the family returned from public worship, was found dead, kneeling by a chair with her face on it." - Newspaper of 1733.
- Nathan Brigham (1693-1784) - md Dinah Rice
- Thomas Brigham (1695-1765) - md Sarah Stratton
- Tabitha Brigham (1698-1731) - d. 06 Feb 1731
- Elizabeth Brigham (1700-1757)
- Sarah Brigham (1701-1757) = md Uriah Eager
- Ziporah Brigham (1704-1790)
- Hannah Brigham (1706-1781) - md Jabez Rice
- Ephraim Brigham (1707-1771) - md Hannah and his widow md Joseph Wilder, Esq.
- Genealogical History of the Descendants of Deacon Edmund Rice (pg 35, 44) - Publ 1858 by Andrew Henshaw Ward - Free on Google Books.