|May 14 in recent years
May 14 is the 134th day of the year (135th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 231 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1264 - Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured in France making Simon de Montfort the de facto ruler of England.
- 1483 - Coronation of Charles VIII of France ("Charles l'Affable").
- 1509 - Battle of Agnadello: In northern Italy, French forces defeat the Venetians.
- 1607 - Jamestown is settled as an English colony.
- 1608 - Protestant Union founded in Auhausen.
- 1610 - Assassination of Henri IV of France, bringing Louis XIII to the throne.
- 1643 - Four-year-old Louis XIV becomes King of France upon the death of his father, Louis XIII.
- 1747 - A British fleet under Admiral George Anson defeats the French at first battle of Cape Finisterre.
- 1787 - In Philadelphia, delegates begin to meet to write a new Constitution for the United States.
- 1796 - Edward Jenner administers the first smallpox vaccination.
- 1804 - The Lewis and Clark Expedition departs from Camp Dubois and begin their historic journey by traveling up the Missouri River.
- 1811 - Paraguay gains independence from Spain.
- 1861 - The Canellas meteorite, an 859-gram chondrite-type meteorite strikes the earth near Barcelona, Spain.
- 1863 - American Civil War: Battle of Jackson.
- 1868 - Japanese Boshin War: End of the Battle of Utsunomiya Castle, former Shogunate forces withdraw northward to Aizu by way of Nikkō.
- 1870 - The first game of rugby in New Zealand is played in Nelson between Nelson College and the Nelson Rugby Football Club.
- 1889 - The children's charity the NSPCC is launched in London.
- 1913 - New York Governor William Sulzer approves the charter for the Rockefeller Foundation, which begins operations with a $100 million donation from John D. Rockefeller.
- 1927 - Cap Arcona is launched at the Blohm + Voss shipyard in Hamburg.
- 1927 - University of Chicago's local collegiate organization, Phi Sigma, becomes incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois as Eta Sigma Phi, the National Honorary Classical Fraternity.
- 1929 - Wilfred Rhodes takes his 4000th first-class wicket during a performance of 9 for 39 at Leyton.
- 1931 - Ådalen shootings, five people are killed in Ådalen, Sweden, as soldiers open fire on an unarmed trade union demonstration.
- 1935 - The Filipinos ratify an independence agreement.
- 1935 - Northamptonshire County Cricket Club gains (over Somerset at Taunton by 48 runs) what proved to be their last victory for 99 matches, easily a record in the County Championship. Their next Championship win was not until 29 May, 1939.
- 1939 - Lina Medina becomes the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five.
- 1940 - World War II: Rotterdam is bombed by the German Luftwaffe.
- 1940 - World War II: The Netherlands surrender to Germany.
- 1943 - Sinking of the Australian Hospital Ship Centaur off the coast of Queensland, by a Japanese submarine.
- 1948 - Israel declared to be an independent state and a provisional government is established. Immediately after the declaration, Israel was attacked by the neighboring Arab states.
- 1955 - Cold War: Eight communist bloc countries, including the Soviet Union, sign a mutual defence treaty called the Warsaw Pact.
- 1961 - American civil rights movement: Freedom Riders bus is fire-bombed near Anniston, and the civil rights protestors are beaten by an angry mob.
- 1961 - Stirling Moss wins the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix.
- 1970 - The Red Army Faction is established in Germany.
- 1970 - Mississippi state police kill two black students at Jackson State University.
- 1973 - Human Space Flight: Skylab, the United States' first space station, is launched. It is the last launch of the Saturn V rocket.
- 1265 - Dante Alighieri, Italian poet (d. 1321)
- 1316 - Charles IV (d. 1378)
- 1553 - Margaret of Valois, wife of Henry IV (d. 1615)
- 1666 - Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia (d. 1732)
- 1679 - Peder Horrebow, Danish astronomer (d. 1764)
- 1686 - Gabriel Fahrenheit, German physicist and engineer (d. 1736)
- 1699 - Hans Joachim von Zieten, Prussian field marshal (d. 1786)
- 1701 - William Emerson, English mathematician (d. 1782)
- 1710 - King Adolf Frederick of Sweden (d. 1771)
- 1725 - Ludovico Manin, last Doge of Venice (d. 1802)
- 1727 - Thomas Gainsborough, English artist (d. 1788)
- 1737 - George Macartney, British statesman (d. 1806)
- 1752 - Timothy Dwight, American theologian (d. 1817)
- 1752 - Albrecht Thaer, German agronomist (d. 1828)
- 1771 - Robert Owen, Welsh social reformer (d. 1858)
- 1781 - Friedrich Ludwig Georg von Raumer, German historian (d. 1873)
- 1814 - Charles Beyer, German-British locomotive engineer (d. 1876)
- 1817 - Alexander Kaufmann, German poet (d. 1893)
- 1832 - Rudolf Lipschitz, German mathematician (d. 1903)
- 1867 - Kurt Eisner, German politician (d. 1919)
- 1872 - Elia Dalla Costa, Italian cardinals (d. 1961)
- 1878 - James L. Wilkinson, American baseball executive (d. 1964)
- 1880 - Wilhelm List, German field marshal (d. 1971)
- 1881 - G. Murray Hulbert, American politician (d. 1950)
- 1881 - Ed Walsh, American baseball player (d. 1959)
- 1885 - Otto Klemperer, German-born conductor (d. 1973)
- 1890 - Alex Pompez, American baseball executive (d. 1974)
- 1897 - Sidney Bechet, American musician (d. 1959)
- 1897 - Ed Ricketts, American marine biologist (d. 1948)
- 1899 - Pierre Victor Auger, French physicist (d. 1993)
- 1899 - Earle Combs, American baseball player (d. 1976)
- 1900 - Hal Borland, Writer (d. 1978)
- 1900 - Leo Smit, Dutch composer (d. 1943)
- 1900 - Edgar Wind, German art historian (d. 1971)
- 1901 - Robert Ritter, German psychologist (d. 1951)
- 1903 - Billie Dove, American actress (d. 1997)
- 1904 - Hans Albert Einstein, American professor (d. 1973)
- 1904 - Marcel Junod, Swiss physician (d. 1961)
- 1905 - Jean Daniélou, French cardinal (d. 1974)
- 1905 - Herbert Morrison, American radio reporter (d. 1989)
- 1907 - Hans von der Groeben, German diplomat, member of the European Commission (d. 2005)
- 1907 - Ayub Khan, President of Pakistan (d. 1974)
- 1907 - Johnny Moss, American poker player (d. 1995)
- 1916 - Lance Dossor, British-born concert pianist (d. 2005)
- 1916 - Del Moore, American comedian (d. 1970)
- 1916 - Marco Zanuso, Italian architect
- 1917 - Lou Harrison, American composer (d. 2003)
- 1919 - Solange Chaput-Rolland, French Canadian journalist, author and politician (d. 2001)
- 1919 - John Hope, American meteorologist (d. 2002)
- 1921 - Richard Deacon, American actor (d. 1984)
- 1921 - Arve Opsahl, Norwegian actor (d. 2007)
- 1922 - Franjo Tuđman, President of Croatia (d. 1999)
- 1923 - Adnan Pachachi, Iraqi politician
- 1923 - Mrinal Sen, Indian film director
- 1925 - Patrice Munsel, American opera soprano
- 1926 - Eric Morecambe, British comedian (d. 1984)
- 1927 - Herbert W. Franke, Austrian writer
- 1929 - Henry McGee, British actor (d. 2006)
- 1929 - Gump Worsley, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2007)
- 1931 - Alvin Lucier, American composer
- 1933 - Michael Chevalier, German voice actor
- 1934 - Siân Phillips, Welsh actress
- 1936 - Bobby Darin, American singer (d. 1973)
- 1936 - Charlie Gracie, American singer
- 1936 - Waheeda Rehman, Indian actress
- 1940 - Troy Shondell, American singer
- 1942 - Valeriy Brumel, Soviet athlete (d. 2003)
- 1942 - Byron Dorgan, U.S. Senator
- 1942 - Prentis Hancock, British actor
- 1942 - Tony Pérez, Cuban baseball player
- 1942 - Rüdiger Vogler, German actor
- 1943 - Jack Bruce, Scottish bassist (Cream)
- 1943 - Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson, President of Iceland
- 1943 - Derek Leckenby, British musician (Herman's Hermits) (d. 1994)
- 1943 - Elizabeth Ray, American sex scandal figure
- 1944 - George Lucas, American film director
- 1945 - Francesca Annis, British actress
- 1945 - Yochanan Vollach, Israeli footballer and president of Maccabi Haifa
- 1946 - Eric Peterson, Canadian actor
- 1947 - Tamara Dobson, American actress (d. 2006)
- 1948 - Bob Woolmer, English cricket coach (d. 2007)
- 1949 - Klaus-Peter Thaler, German cyclist
- 1950 - Adolfo Dominguez, Spanish fashion designer
- 1952 - David Byrne, Scottish-born American musician (Talking Heads)
- 1952 - Scott Irwin, American professional wrestler (d. 1987)
- 1952 - Donald R. McMonagle, American astronaut
- 1952 - Robert Zemeckis, American film director
- 1953 - Tom Cochrane, Canadian musician (Red Rider)
- 1953 - Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia
- 1954 - Jens Sparschuh, German writer
- 1955 - Dennis Martínez, Nicaraguan baseball player
- 1957 - Leon White, American professional wrestler
- 1959 - Patrick Bruel, French singer
- 1959 - Steve Hogarth, British singer (Marillion)
- 1959 - Rick Vaive, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1960 - Anne Clark, English female singer
- 1960 - Steve Williams, American wrestler
- 1961 - Ulrike Folkerts, German actress
- 1961 - Jean Leclerc, French Canadian singer and songwriter
- 1961 - Tim Roth, English actor
- 1961 - Alain Vigneault, Canadian ice hockey coach
- 1962 - Ian Astbury, English singer (The Cult)
- 1962 - C. C. DeVille, American musician (Poison)
- 1963 - Pat Borders, American baseball player
- 1964 - James M. Kelly, American astronaut
- 1964 - Eric Peterson, American guitarist (Testament)
- 1964 - Suzy Kolber, American sportscaster
- 1965 - Eoin Colfer, Irish writer
- 1966 - Marianne Denicourt, French actress
- 1966 - Mike Inez, American bassist
- 1966 - Fabrice Morvan, French music artist (Milli Vanilli)
- 1966 - Raphael Saadiq, American musician (Tony! Toni! Toné!)
- 1967 - Tony Siragusa, American football player
- 1969 - Cate Blanchett, Australian actress
- 1969 - Danny Wood, American singer (New Kids on the Block)
- 1971 - Sofia Coppola, American director
- 1972 - Mark Ruskell, England-born Scottish politician
- 1973 - Voshon Lenard, American basketball player
- 1973 - Natalie Appleton, Canadian-born singer
- 1973 - Anais Granofsky, Canadian actress and director
- 1973 - Julian White, English rugby union footballer
- 1974 - Jennifer Allan, American model
- 1975 - Salim Iles, Algerian swimmer
- 1975 - Nicki Sørensen, Danish road bicycle racer
- 1976 - Hunter Burgan, American musician (AFI)
- 1976 - Brian Lawrence, American baseball player
- 1976 - Martine McCutcheon, British actress
- 1977 - Roy Halladay, American baseball player
- 1977 - Ada Nicodemou, Australian actress
- 1978 - Eddie House, American basketball player
- 1978 - Henry Garza, American singer and guitarist (Los Lonely Boys)
- 1978 - André Macanga, Angolan footballer
- 1978 - Gustavo Varela, Uruguayan footballer
- 1979 - Clinton Morrison, English-born Irish footballer
- 1979 - Carlos Tenorio, Ecuadorian footballer
- 1980 - Zdeněk Grygera, Czech footballer
- 1980 - Eugene Martineau, Dutch decathlete
- 1980 - Júlia Sebestyén, Hungarian figure skater
- 1980 - Hugo Southwell, Scottish rugby union footballer
- 1981 - Sarbel, Greek-born singer
- 1982 - Anahí, Mexican actress and singer
- 1982 - BeardyMan, English beatboxer
- 1983 - Uroš Slokar, Slovenian basketball player
- 1983 - Amber Tamblyn, American actress
- 1983 - Tom Welham, British musician (Thirteen Senses)
- 1984 - Gary Ablett, Australian rules footballer
- 1984 - Michael Rensing, German footballer
- 1984 - Nigel Reo-Coker, English footballer
- 1984 - Mark Zuckerberg, founder & CEO of Facebook
- 1985 - Sally Martin, American actress
- 1986 - Camila Sodi, Mexican actress
- 1987 - Franck Songo'o, Cameroonian footballer
- 1987 - Francois Steyn, South African rugby union footballer
- 1990 - Emily Samuelson, American ice dancer
- 1993 - Miranda Cosgrove, American actress
- 964 - Pope John XII
- 1470 - Charles VIII of Sweden (b. 1409)
- 1574 - Guru Amar Das, third Sikh Guru (b. 1479)
- 1608 - Charles III (b. 1543)
- 1610 - Henry IV of France (b. 1553)
- 1643 - Louis XIII of France (b. 1601)
- 1649 - Friedrich Spanheim, Dutch theologian (b. 1600)
- 1669 - Georges de Scudéry, French writer (b. 1601)
- 1688 - Antoine Furetière, French writer (b. 1619)
- 1754 - Pierre-Claude Nivelle de La Chaussée, French writer (b. 1692)
- 1761 - Thomas Simpson, British mathematician (b. 1710)
- 1818 - Matthew Gregory Lewis, English novelist (b. 1775)
- 1847 - Fanny Mendelssohn, German composer and pianist (b. 1805)
- 1860 - Ludwig Bechstein, German writer (b. 1801)
- 1873 - Gideon Brecher, Austrian physician and writer (b. 1797)
- 1878 - Ookubo Toshimichi, Japanese statesman, samurai, and one of the three great nobles who led the Meiji Restoration (b. 1830)
- 1887 - Lysander Spooner, American philosopher (b. 1808)
- 1889 - Volney E. Howard, American politician (b. 1809)
- 1893 - Ernst Kummer, German mathematician (b. 1810)
- 1906 - Carl Schurz, German revolutionary and statesman (b. 1829)
- 1912 - Frederick VIII of Denmark (b. 1843)
- 1912 - August Strindberg, Swedish author (b. 1849)
- 1918 - James Gordon Bennett, American newspaper publisher (b. 1841)
- 1919 - Henry John Heinz, founder of the H. J. Heinz Company (b. 1844)
- 1923 - Charles de Freycinet, French prime minister (b. 1828)
- 1925 - H. Rider Haggard, English author (b. 1856)
- 1931 - David Belasco, American theatrical producer (b. 1853)
- 1931 - Denys Finch Hatton, English big-game hunter (b. 1887)
- 1934 - Lou Criger, American baseball player (b. 1872)
- 1936 - Edmund Henry Hynman Allenby, British general (b. 1861)
- 1940 - Emma Goldman, Lithuanian-born anarchist (b. 1869)
- 1943 - Henri La Fontaine, Belgian Nobel Peace Prize laureate (b. 1854)
- 1945 - Heber J. Grant, seventh president of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (b. 1856)
- 1954 - Heinz Guderian, German General (b. 1888)
- 1957 - Marie Vassilieff, Russian artist (b. 1884)
- 1959 - Sidney Bechet, American musician (b. 1897)
- 1962 - Florence Auer, American actress (b. 1880)
- 1968 - Husband E. Kimmel, American admiral (b. 1882)
- 1969 - Frederick Lane, Australian swimmer (b. 1888)
- 1970 - Billie Burke, American actress (b. 1884)
- 1973 - Jean Gebser, German-born author, linguist, and poet (b. 1905)
- 1976 - Keith Relf, British singer and musician (The Yardbirds) (b. 1943)
- 1978 - Robert Menzies, twelfth Prime Minister of Australia (b. 1894)
- 1982 - Hugh Beaumont, American actor (b. 1909)
- 1983 - Roger J. Traynor, American judge (b. 1900)
- 1983 - Miguel Alemán Valdés, President of Mexico (b. 1900)
- 1984 - Walter Rauff, German colonel (b. 1906)
- 1985 - Mei Ling Barbara Yung, Hong Kong actress (b. 1959)
- 1987 - Rita Hayworth, American actress (b. 1918)
- 1988 - Willem Drees, Prime Minister of the Netherlands (b. 1886)
- 1991 - Jiang Qing, wife of Mao Zedong (b. 1914)
- 1992 - Lyle Alzado, American football player (b. 1949)
- 1992 - Nie Rongzhen, Chinese Communist military leader (b. 1899)
- 1993 - Patrick Haemers, Belgian criminal (b. 1953)
- 1993 - William Randolph Hearst Jr., American newspaper magnate (b. 1908)
- 1995 - Christian B. Anfinsen, American Nobel laureate (b. 1916)
- 1997 - Harry Blackstone Jr., American magician (b. 1934)
- 1998 - Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor (b. 1915)
- 1998 - Marjory Stoneman Douglas, American conservationist (b. 1890)
- 2000 - Obuchi Keizo, Prime Minister of Japan (b. 1937)
- 2003 - Dave DeBusschere, American basketball player (b. 1940)
- 2003 - Wendy Hiller, British actress (b. 1912)
- 2003 - Robert Stack, American actor (b. 1919)
- 2004 - Anna Lee, British actress (b. 1913)
- 2006 - Lew Anderson, American actor and bandleader (b. 1922)
- 2006 - Stanley Kunitz, American poet (b. 1905)
- 2006 - Eva Norvind, Mexican actress (b. 1944)
- 2007 - Ülo Jõgi, Estonian freedom fighter (b. 1921)
Holidays and observances
111 Familypedia people were born on May 14
131 Familypedia people died on May 14
88 Familypedia people were first married on May 14