Martha Richey was born 30 December 1837 in Noxubee County, Mississippi to William Richey (1796-1879) and Margaret Ann Adair (1804-1852) and died February 1845 in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois of unspecified causes. Ancestors are from the United States, Ireland, the United Kingdom.
Family History records switch her name between Martha and Mary Ann.
The couple first settled in Pickensville, Pickens County, Alabama in about 1820 and their first seven children were born there. They then moved to Noxuba, Mississippi in about 1831. 1837 saw the birth of twins, Martha (or Mary Ann) and Eliza Jane).
Temple History Submitted by William
The following information was given to the St. George temple by William Richey himself and shows births of his deceased children as of 1877 in three locations. Extracted from FHL film 170583, pg. 23, St. George Temple, 13 Sep 1877: Sealed to parents William Richey (living) and Margt. Adair Richey, dead:
- Benjamin Richey, dead, Pickens Co., Ala.
- Joseph Richey, dead, Pickens Co., Ala.
- John Richey, dead, Pickens Co., Ala.
- Robert Richey, dead, Noxuba, Miss.
- Rebecca Richey, dead, Pickens Co., Ala.
- Emily Richey, dead, Pickens Co., Ala.
- Mary Ann Richey, dead, Noxuba, Miss.
- Hester Richey, dead, Georgia
Of particular note is Hester, born in Georgia. Was this the couple's first place of residence and first child. She is not mentioned by James.
Family History submitted by Bro. James
Major autobiography with lots of references to Mangums, Richeys, and Adairs and their history by James Richey; speaks of his siblings:
- "The names of my brothers and sisters are (as) follows: Benjamin, Joseph 2, Rebecca, 3, Emily Melissa 4, John G. 5, Martha Ann and Eliza Jane 5, for they were both born at one birth, William B, 7, Robert 8, and I myself being the first born."
- "Joseph Richey-Born Pickens Co, Alabama, November 10, 1825."
- " i lived with my father and mother in alabama til i was about 10 years of age when i removed with them to the state of mississippi my second brother Joseph died in the state of alabama pickens county age one year and foure months "
|Offspring of William Richey and Nancy Ridge (1801-1817)|
|Hester Richey (1817-1817)||September 1818 Georgia, United States||May 1819 Georgia, United States|