|March 10 in recent years
March 10 is the 69th day of the year (70th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 296 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 241 BC - First Punic War: Battle of the Aegates Islands - The Romans sink the Carthaginian fleet; end of First Punic War.
- 1629 - Charles I of England dissolves Parliament, starting the Eleven Years Tyranny in which there was no parliament.
- 1735 - An agreement between Nadir Shah and Paul I of Russia is signed near Ganja and the Russian troops are withdrawn from Baku.
- 1801 - First census in Great Britain
- 1804 - Louisiana Purchase: In St. Louis, a formal ceremony is conducted to transfer ownership of Louisiana Territory from France to the United States.
- 1814 - Napoleon I of France is defeated at the Battle of Laon in France.
- 1830 - The KNIL also known as the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army is created.
- 1831 - The French Foreign Legion is established by King Louis-Philippe to support his war in Algeria.
- 1848 - The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is ratified by the United States Senate, ending the Mexican-American War.
- 1861 - El Hadj Umar Tall seizes the city of Segou, destroying the Bambara Empire of Mali.
- 1864 - American Civil War: The Red River Campaign begins as Union troops reach Alexandria.
- 1876 - Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call by saying "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."
- 1880 - Members of the Salvation Army land in the United States and begin operations.
- 1891 - Almon Strowger, an undertaker in Topeka, patents the strowger switch, a device which led to the automation of telephone circuit switching.
- 1893 - Côte d'Ivoire becomes a French colony.
- 1902 - Second Boer War: South African Boers win their last battle over British forces, with the capture of a British general and 200 of his men.
- 1902 - A United States court of appeals rules that Thomas Edison did not invent the movie camera.
- 1902 - Tochangri, Turkey, is completely destroyed by an earthquake.
- 1905 - Eleftherios Venizelos asks the independence of Crete and its union with Greece again, starting the Cretan Revolution in Theriso.
- 1906 - The Courrières mine disaster, Europe's worst ever, kills 1099 miners in Northern France.
- 1912 - Yuan Shikai is sworn in as the second Provisional President of the Republic of China.
- 1917 - Batangas was formally founded as one of the Philippines's earliest encomiendas.
- 1918 - Warner Bros. releases its first major film My Four Years in Germany.
- 1925 - Olympiacos is founded in Piraeus.
- 1933 - An earthquake in Long Beach kills 120 people.
- 1945 - The Army Air Force firebombs Tokyo, and the resulting firestorm kills more than 100,000 people, mostly civilians.
- 1948 - The Indian Union Muslim League is founded, by remnants of the old Muslim League.
- 1951 - Henri Queuille becomes Prime Minister of France.
- 1952 - Fulgencio Batista leads a successful coup in Cuba.
- 1959 - Tibet leads an unsuccessful uprising against ten years of Chinese occupation in Lhasa. Thousands massacred by the occupying Chinese army.
- 1969 - In Memphis, James Earl Ray pleads guilty to assassinating Martin Luther King Jr. He would later retract his guilty plea.
- 1970 - Vietnam War: Capt. Ernest Medina is charged with My Lai war crimes.
- 1975 - Vietnam War: North Vietnamese troops attack Ban Me Thuot, South Vietnam, on their way to capturing Saigon.
- 1977 - Rings of Uranus: Astronomers discover rings around Uranus.
- 1982 - The United States places an embargo on Libyan petroleum imports because of their support of terrorist groups.
- 1982 - Syzygy: all 9 planets align on the same side of the Sun. See also Jupiter effect.
- 1987 - The Holy See condemns the practice of surrogate motherhood, along with test-tube babies and artificial insemination.
- 1990 - In Haiti, Prosper Avril is ousted 18 months after seizing power in a coup.
- 2000 - The NASDAQ stock market index peaks at 5048.62, signaling the beginning of the end of the dot-com boom.
- 2004 - DC Shoes is acquired by Quicksilver.
- 2006 - Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter arrives at Mars.
- 2006 - Mass unrest by the PCC started in São Paulo (the biggest city in Brazil) which would eventually kill more than 152 people
- 1415 - Vasili II of Russia (d. 1462)
- 1452 - Ferdinand II of Aragon (d. 1516)
- 1503 - Ferdinand I (d. 1564)
- 1536 - Thomas Howard, English politician (d. 1572)
- 1628 - Marcello Malpighi, Italian physician (d. 1694)
- 1709 - Georg Steller, German naturalist (d. 1746)
- 1749 - Lorenzo da Ponte, Italian librettist (d. 1838)
- 1769 - Joseph Williamson, English philanthropist and tunnel builder (d. 1840)
- 1772 - Friedrich von Schlegel, German aesthetician (d. 1829)
- 1776 - Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen consort of Prussia (d. 1810)
- 1788 - Joseph von Eichendorff, German writer (d. 1857)
- 1810 - Samuel Ferguson, Irish poet (d. 1886)
- 1842 - Mykola Lysenko, Ukrainian composer (d. 1912)
- 1844 - Pablo de Sarasate, Spanish violinist (d. 1908)
- 1845 - Alexander III of Russia (d. 1894)
- 1847 - Kate Sheppard, New Zealand suffragist (d. 1934)
- 1850 - Spencer Gore, British tennis player and cricketer (d. 1906)
- 1880 - Broncho Billy Anderson, American actor (d. 1971)
- 1887 - Toshitsugu Takamatsu, Grandmaster of Ninjutsu (d. 1972)
- 1888 - Barry Fitzgerald, Irish actor (d. 1961)
- 1892 - Arthur Honegger, French-born Swiss composer (d. 1955)
- 1892 - Gregory La Cava, American director (d. 1952)
- 1899 - Robert Meier, German WW1 veteran, formerly Germany's oldest man. (d. 2007)
- 1903 - Bix Beiderbecke, American musician (d. 1931)
- 1905 - Betty Amann, German-American actress.
- 1905 - Richard Haydn, English actor (d. 1985)
- 1915 - Harry Bertoia, Italian artist (d. 1978)
- 1915 - Sir Charles Groves, English conductor (d. 1992)
- 1919 - Marion Hutton, American singer (d. 1987)
- 1920 - Alfred Peet, Dutch-American entrepreneur and the founder of Peet's Coffee & Tea (d. 2007)
- 1920 - Boris Vian, French writer and musician (d. 1959)
- 1923 - Val Logsdon Fitch, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1925 - Manolis Anagnostakis, Greek poet (d. 2005)
- 1928 - James Earl Ray, American assassin (d. 1998)
- 1928 - Sara Montiel, Spanish actress and singer
- 1931 - Georges Dor, Quebec author, playwright, singer and songwriter (d. 2001)
- 1936 - Sepp Blatter, Swiss hockey and football official
- 1937 - Joe Viterelli, American actor (d. 2004)
- 1938 - Marina Vlady, French actress
- 1940 - Chuck Norris, American actor and martial artist
- 1940 - Dean Torrence, American singer (Jan and Dean)
- 1945 - Birgitta Sellén, Swedish politician
- 1946 - Jim Valvano, American basketball coach (d. 1993)
- 1946 - Mike Hollands, Australian animator
- 1946 - Hiroshi Fushida, Japanese racing driver
- 1947 - Kim Campbell, 19th Prime Minister of Canada
- 1947 - Paul Condon, former Commissioner of The Metropolitan Police
- 1947 - Bob Greene, American journalist
- 1947 - Tom Scholz, American songwriter
- 1948 - Richard Park, British Media Consultant and Broadcaster
- 1952 - Morgan Tsvangirai, Zimbabwe politician
- 1953 - Paul Haggis, Canadian film director
- 1955 - Youssra, Egyptian actress and singer
- 1955 - Toshio Suzuki, Japanese racing driver
- 1956 - Mitchell Lichtenstein, American actor; son of Roy Lichtenstein
- 1957 - Shannon Tweed, Canadian actress and model
- 1957 - Osama bin Laden, Saudi-born Islamic extremist
- 1957 - Jim White, American folk singer-songwriter
- 1958 - Steve Howe, American baseball player (d. 2006)
- 1958 - Sharon Stone, American actress
- 1960 - Anne MacKenzie, journalist and broadcaster
- 1961 - Laurel Clark, physician and astronaut (d. 2003)
- 1961 - Mitch Gaylord, American gymnast
- 1961 - Bobby Petrino, American football coach
- 1963 - Jeff Ament, American musician (Pearl Jam)
- 1963 - Rick Rubin, American record producer
- 1964 - Neneh Cherry, Swedish musician
- 1964 - Prince Edward
- 1964 - David Faber, analyst for CNBC
- 1964 - Jasmine Guy, American actress
- 1965 - Rod Woodson, American football player
- 1966 - Edie Brickell, American singer
- 1966 - Gráinne Mulvey, Irish composer
- 1966 - Mike Timlin, American baseball player
- 1968 - Felice Arena, Australian children's author
- 1968 - Shoichi Funaki, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1968 - Thio Li-ann, Singaporean law academic and Nominated Member of Parliament
- 1969 - Paget Brewster, American actress
- 1971 - Timbaland, American rapper
- 1971 - Steve Arnold, British racing driver
- 1972 - Takashi Fujii, Japanese television performer
- 1972 - Matt Kenseth, American race car driver
- 1972 - Paraskevi Tsiamita, Greek triple jumper
- 1973 - Eva Herzigova, Czech model
- 1973 - Chris Sutton, English footballer
- 1973 - Mauricio Taricco, Argentine footballer
- 1973 - John LeCompt, American guitarist
- 1975 - Lyne Bessette, Quebec professional bicycle racer
- 1976 - Haifa Wehbe, Lebanese actress, model and singer
- 1977 - Peter Enckelman, Finnish footballer
- 1977 - Shannon Miller, American gymnast
- 1977 - Colin Murray, British radio DJ
- 1977 - Bree Turner, American dancer and actress
- 1977 - Matt Rubano, American musician (Taking Back Sunday)
- 1977 - Robin Thicke, American singer
- 1978 - Ben Burnley, American musician (Breaking Benjamin)
- 1981 - Samuel Eto'o, Cameroonian footballer
- 1981 - Efthimios Kouloucheris, Greek footballer
- 1981 - Steven Reid, English-born footballer
- 1982 - Timo Glock, German racing car driver
- 1982 - Katharine Isabelle, Canadian actress
- 1983 - Carrie Underwood, American singer
- 1983 - Reena Virk, Canadian murder victim (d. 1997)
- 1984 - Ben May, English footballer
- 1984 - Olivia Wilde, American actress
- 1985 - Lassana Diarra, French footballer
- 1985 - Casey Dienel, American singer-songwriter
- 1985 - Kim Leclerc, Canadian politician
- 1992 - Emily Osment, American actress
- 1291 - Arghun, Persian ruler
- 1510 - Johann Geiler von Kaisersberg, Swiss-born preacher (b. 1445)
- 1513 - John de Vere, English commander (b. 1443)
- 1549 - Thomas Seymour, English politician and diplomat
- 1584 - Thomas Norton, English politician and writer (b. 1532)
- 1585 - Rembert Dodoens, Flemish physician and botanist (b. 1517)
- 1588 - Theodor Zwinger, Swiss scholar (b. 1533)
- 1669 - John Denham, English poet (b. 1615)
- 1670 - Johann Rudolf Glauber, German chemist (b. 1604)
- 1776 - Élie Catherine Fréron, French critic (b. 1719)
- 1776 - Niclas Sahlgren, Swedish merchant and philanthropist (b. 1701)
- 1792 - John Stuart, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1713)
- 1832 - Muzio Clementi, Italian composer (b. 1752)
- 1861 - Taras Shevchenko, Ukrainian poet (b. 1814)
- 1872 - Giuseppe Mazzini, Italian politician (b. 1805)
- 1895 - Charles Frederick Worth, English-born couturier (b. 1826)
- 1910 - Karl Lueger, mayor of Vienna (b. 1844)
- 1910 - Carl Reinecke, German pianist, conductor and composer (b. 1824)
- 1913 - Harriet Tubman, American abolitionist (b. 1820)
- 1937 - Yevgeny Zamyatin, Russian writer (b. 1884)
- 1940 - Mikhaïl Boulgakov, Russian writer (b. 1891)
- 1942 - William Henry Bragg, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1862)
- 1948 - Zelda Fitzgerald, American artist, wife of writer F. Scott Fitzgerald (b. 1900)
- 1948 - Jan Masaryk, Foreign Minister of Czechoslovakia (b. 1886)
- 1949 - James Rector, American athlete (b. 1884)
- 1950 - Marguerite De La Motte, American actress (b. 1902)
- 1951 - Kijūrō Shidehara, Prime minister of Japan (b. 1872)
- 1966 - Frits Zernike, Dutch physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1888)
- 1967 - Yiorgos Batis, Greek composer and musician (b. 1885)
- 1970 - Vasilis Avlonitis, Greek actor (b. 1904)
- 1973 - Eugene 'Bull' Connor, American segregationist (b. 1897)
- 1977 - E. Power Biggs, English-born American organist (b. 1906)
- 1984 - June Marlowe, American actress (b. 1903)
- 1985 - Konstantin Chernenko, General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (b. 1911)
- 1985 - Bob Nieman, American baseball player (b. 1927)
- 1986 - Ray Milland, British actor (b. 1905)
- 1988 - Andy Gibb, English-born singer (b. 1958)
- 1992 - Giorgos Zampetas, Greek composer and musician (b. 1925)
- 1994 - Abdelkader Alloula, Algerian playwright (assassinated) (b. 1929)
- 1996 - Ross Hunter, American film producer (b. 1920)
- 1997 - La Vern Baker, American singer (b. 1929)
- 1998 - Lloyd Bridges, American actor (b. 1913)
- 2001 - Massimo Morsello, Italian musician and far right activist (b. 1958)
- 2003 - Barry Sheene, British motorcycle racer (b. 1950)
- 2004 - Dave Blood, real name David Schulthise; American musician, bassist for The Dead Milkmen (b. 1956)
- 2005 - Dave Allen, Irish comedian (b. 1936)
- 2005 - Danny Joe Brown, American singer (Molly Hatchet) (b. 1951)
- 2006 - Anna Moffo, American soprano (b. 1932)
- 2007 - Richard Jeni, American comedian (b. 1957)
- 2007 - Ernie Ladd, American football player and professional wrestler (b. 1938)
Holidays and observances
140 Familypedia people were born on March 10
122 Familypedia people died on March 10
79 Familypedia people were first married on March 10