Kurmi/Kanbi Kshatriyas of Punjab established many villages in this area. Groups of Jats had settled here from Greater Punjab (including Rajesthan and modern day Haryana).
It covers an area of 3,943 km². The district has over 600 villages. It is bounded by the districts of Gandhinagar and Sabarkantha to the north, Panchmahal to the east, Ahmedabad to the west, and Anand and Vadodara to the south. Anand district was carved out of Kheda district on 2 October 1997.
Balasinor Fossil Park is one of the three largest dinosaur sites in the world.
The main crops include bajra, cotton and tobacco. Commerce in the district includes trade in cotton and tobacco. The district is home to a thermal power station, near Dhuvran.
The major towns of the district include Kheda, Nadiad, Balasinor, and Dakor.
According to the 2011 census Kheda district has a population of 2,298,934, roughly equal to the nation of Latvia or the US state of New Mexico. This gives it a ranking of 197th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 541 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,400 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.81 %. Kheda has a sex ratio of 937 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 84.31 %.
Dakor houses a temple of Lord Ranchodrai, a form of Krishna. The temple town of Vadtal comes within this district.
- Govardhanram Tripathi (1855–1907) Novelist. Born in Nadiad.
- Manilal Nabhubhai (1858–1898) Writer and philosopher. Born in Nadiad.
- Ravji Patel (1939–1968) Modernist poet and novelist. Born in Vallavpura village.
- ^ VP Desai’s book “Bharat ke chaudhary” (Bharatna Anjana)
- ^ Maps of India website
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Latvia 2,204,708 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "New Mexico - 2,059,179"
- ^ (1969) "Life against Death: The Poetry of Ravji Patel". Books Abroad 43 (4): 499–503. DOI:10.2307/40123774.
|Gandhinagar district||Sabar Kantha district|
|Ahmedabad district||Panchmahal district|
|Anand district||Vadodara district|
|This article about a location in Kheda district, Gujarat, India is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Kheda district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|