|June 22 in recent years
June 22 is the 173rd day of the year (174th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 192 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 217 BC - Battle of Raphia: Ptolemy IV of Egypt defeats Antiochus III the Great of the Seleucid kingdom
- 168 BC - Battle of Pydna: Romans under Lucius Aemilius Paullus defeat and capture Macedonian King Perseus, ending the Third Macedonian War
- 1593 - Battle of Sisak: Croat troops defeat the Turks
- 1633 - The Holy Office in Rome forces Galileo Galilei to recant his scientific view that the Sun, not the Earth, is the center of the Universe.
- 1783 - Poisonous cloud from Laki volcanic eruption in Iceland reaches Le Havre in France.
- 1812 - Napoleon declares war to Russia
- 1815 - Second abdication of Napoleon
- 1825 - British Parliament abolishes feudalism and the seigneurial system in British North America.
- 1844 - Influential North American fraternity Delta Kappa Epsilon is founded at Yale University.
- 1848 - Beginning of the June Days Uprising in Paris.
- 1866 - Battle of Custoza: an Austrian army defeats the Italian army during the Austro-Prussian War.
- 1893 - The Royal Navy battleship HMS Camperdown accidentally rams the British Mediterranean Fleet flagship HMS Victoria which sinks taking 358 crew with her, including the fleet's commander, Vice-Admiral Sir George Tryon.
- 1898 - Spanish-American War: United States Marines land in Cuba.
- 1911 - George V is crowned King of the United Kingdom, succeeding his father, Edward VII.
- 1918 - Hammond circus train wreck kills 86 and injures 127 near Hammond.
- 1937 - Camille Chautemps becomes Prime Minister of France
- 1940 - France forced to sign the Second Compiègne armistice with Nazi Germany.
- 1940 - The Nagpur conference of the All India Forward Bloc concludes, declared the Bloc as a socialist party.
- 1941 - Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa, one of the most dramatic turning points of World War II.
- 1941 - First anti-fascist armed unit in occupied Europe founded by Croatian partisans near Sisak, Croatia.
- 1941 - The Lithuanian 1941 independence begins
- 1941 - Various Communist and Socialist French Resistance movements merge to one group.
- 1944 - Opening day of the Soviet Union's Operation Bagration against Army Group Centre
- 1954 - Murder of Honora Parker in Christchurch (New Zealand)by her daughter Pauline Parker and her girlfriend Juliet Hulme,both 16 years old
- 1962 - An Air France Boeing 707 jet crashes in bad weather in Guadeloupe, West Indies killing 113
- 1963 - Giovanni Cardinal Montini elected Pope by the College of Cardinals, and takes the name Pope Paul VI.
- 1969 - The Cuyahoga River caught fire, which triggered a crack-down on pollution in the river.
- 1976 - Canadian House of Commons abolishes capital punishment.
- 1978 - Charon, a satellite of the dwarf planet Pluto, is discovered.
- 1986 - Argentine footballer Diego Maradona scored both the Hand of God goal and the Goal of the Century against England during the FIFA World Cup in Mexico City.
- 1986 - The All Jharkhand Students Union is founded, in order to fight for autonomy for tribal peoples in India.
- 2002 - An earthquake in western Iran measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale kills more than 261 people.
- 1680 - Ebenezer Erskine, Scottish religious dissenter (d. 1754)
- 1684 - Francesco Manfredini, Italian baroque composer (d. 1762)
- 1704 - John Taylor, English classical scholar (d. 1766)
- 1713 - Lord John Philip Sackville, English cricketer (d. 1765)
- 1738 - Jacques Delille, French poet and translator (d. 1813)
- 1757 - George Vancouver, British explorer (d. 1798)
- 1767 - Wilhelm von Humboldt, German philosopher and statesman (d. 1835)
- 1805 - Giuseppe Mazzini, Italian politician (d. 1872)
- 1837 - Paul Morphy, American chess master (d. 1884)
- 1856 - H. Rider Haggard, English author (d. 1925)
- 1861 - Maximilian von Spee, German admiral (d. 1914)
- 1864 - Hermann Minkowski, German mathematician (d. 1909)
- 1871 - William McDougall, British psychologist and polymath (d. 1938)
- 1879 - Thibaudeau Rinfret, jurist and Chief Justice of Canada (d. 1962)
- 1884 - James Rector, American athlete (d. 1949)
- 1885 - Milan Vidmar, Slovenian engineer and chess player (d. 1962)
- 1887 - Julian Huxley, British biologist (d. 1975)
- 1888 - Harold Burton, U.S. Supreme Court justice (d. 1964)
- 1892 - Robert Ritter von Greim, German field marshal (d. 1945)
- 1897 - Edmund A. Chester, American broadcaster and journalist (d. 1973)
- 1897 - Norbert Elias, German sociologist (d. 1990)
- 1898 - Erich Maria Remarque, German writer (d. 1970)
- 1899 - Michał Kalecki, Polish economist (d. 1970)
- 1902 - Marguerite De La Motte, American actress (d. 1950)
- 1903 - Carl Hubbell, baseball player (d. 1988)
- 1903 - John Dillinger, American bank robber (d. 1934)
- 1906 - Anne Morrow Lindbergh, American author and pilot (d. 2001)
- 1906 - Billy Wilder, Austrian-born director (d. 2002)
- 1907 - Mike Todd, American film producer (d. 1958)
- 1909 - Maurice Adler, American film producer (d. 1960)
- 1910 - Peter Pears, English tenor (d. 1986)
- 1910 - Konrad Zuse, German engineer (d. 1995)
- 1912 - Princess Caroline Mathilde of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (d. 1983)
- 1916 - Johnny Jacobs, American television announcer (d. 1982)
- 1919 - Gower Champion, American dancer and choreographer (d. 1980)
- 1920 - Paul Frees, American voice actor (d. 1986)
- 1921 - Joseph Papp, American director and producer (d. 1991)
- 1922 - Bill Blass, American fashion designer (d. 2002)
- 1922 - Geza Vermes, Hungarian author and scholar of religious history and the Dead Sea Scrolls
- 1927 - Ann Petersen, Belgian actress (d. 2003)
- 1930 - Yuri Artyukhin, cosmonaut (d. 1998)
- 1932 - Prunella Scales, English actress
- 1933 - Dianne Feinstein, American politician
- 1933 - Jacques Martin, French TV host (d. 2007)
- 1933 - Libor Pešek, Czech conductor
- 1936 - Kris Kristofferson, American singer/songwriter and actor
- 1936 - Hermeto Pascoal, Brazilian musician
- 1939 - Don Matthews, American football coach in the CFL
- 1940 - Esther Rantzen, British TV presenter
- 1941 - Ed Bradley, American journalist (d. 2006)
- 1941 - Michael Lerner, American actor
- 1943 - Brit Hume, American news anchor and commentator
- 1943 - Eumir Deodato, Brazilian artist, producer and arranger
- 1944 - Klaus Maria Brandauer, Austrian actor
- 1944 - Peter Asher, British singer, guitarist and producer (Peter & Gordon)
- 1946 - Eliades Ochoa, Cuban guitarist (Buena Vista Social Club)
- 1947 - Octavia Butler, American author (d. 2006)
- 1947 - Jerry Rawlings, former President of Ghana
- 1947 - David Lander, American actor and baseball scout
- 1947 - Howard Kaylan, founding member of The Turtles
- 1947 - Pete Maravich, American basketball player (d. 1988)
- 1948 - Todd Rundgren, American songwriter and record producer
- 1949 - Meryl Streep, American actress
- 1949 - Lindsay Wagner, American actress
- 1949 - Alan Osmond, American singer
- 1952 - Graham Greene, Canadian actor
- 1953 - Cyndi Lauper, American singer
- 1954 - Freddie Prinze, American actor and comedian (d. 1977)
- 1956 - Tim Russ, American actor
- 1955 - Green Gartside, Welsh singer songwriter
- 1957 - Garry Gary Beers, Australian bassist from group INXS
- 1957 - Danny Baker, English comedy writer and radio presenter
- 1958 - Bruce Campbell, American actor
- 1959 - Wayne Federman, American comedian, actor, author
- 1959 - Nicola Sirkis, French singer, guitarist and lyricist (Indochine)
- 1959 - Mike O'Meara, co-host of Don and Mike Show
- 1960 - Erin Brockovich-Ellis
- 1961 - Stephen Batchelor
- 1961 - Jimmy Sommerville, Scottish singer (Bronski Beat, Communards)
- 1962 - Clyde Drexler, former American NBA player
- 1962 - Stephen Chow, Hong Kong actor and director
- 1962 - Bobby Gillespie, Scottish musician (Primal Scream)
- 1963 - Randy Couture, American mixed martial artist
- 1964 - Dan Brown, American author
- 1965 - Lubomir Moravcik, Slovakian footballer
- 1966 - Michael Park, WRC co-pilot (d. 2005)
- 1966 - Emmanuelle Seigner, French actress
- 1968 - Darrell Armstrong, American basketball player
- 1970 - Steven Page, Canadian singer (Barenaked Ladies)
- 1970 - Michel Elefteriades, Greek-Lebanese politician, artist, producer and businessman
- 1971 - Mary Lynn Rajskub, American actress
- 1972 - Zinedine Zidane, French football player
- 1973 - Carson Daly, American television personality
- 1974 - Donald Faison, American actor
- 1975 - Andreas Klöden, German professional road bicycle racer
- 1975 - Laila Rouass, Moroccan-Indian actress
- 1976 - Gordon Moakes, English musician (Bloc Party)
- 1978 - Champ Bailey, American football player
- 1978 - Jai Rodriguez, American TV personality
- 1978 - Dan Wheldon, British race car driver
- 1979 - Joey Cheek, American speed skater
- 1979 - Thomas Voeckler, French road bicycle racer
- 1979 - Brad Hawpe, American baseball player
- 1981 - Chris Urbanowicz, guitarist of British rock band Editors
- 1982 - Soraia Chaves, Portuguese actress and model
- 1982 - Ian Kinsler, American baseball player
- 1984 - Jerome Taylor, West Indies international cricketer
- 1984 - Janko Tipsarević, Serbian tennis player
- 1988 - Kieran Lee, English football player
- 1276 - Pope Innocent V
- 1429 - Ghiyath al-Kashi, Persian astronomer and mathematician (b. 1380)
- 1535 - John Fisher, Bishop of Rochester (executed)
- 1632 - James Whitelocke, English judge (b. 1570)
- 1634 - Johann Graf von Aldringen, Austrian soldier (b. 1588)
- 1699 - Josiah Child, English Governor of the East India Company (b. 1630)
- 1714 - Matthew Henry, English non-conformist minister (b. 1662)
- 1868 - Heber C. Kimball, American religious leader (b. 1801)
- 1874 - Howard Staunton, English chess master (b. 1810)
- 1892 - Pierre Ossian Bonnet, French mathematician (b. 1819)
- 1894 - Alexandre-Antonin Taché, Canadian archbishop (b. 1823)
- 1905 - Francis Lubbock, Governor of Texas (b. 1815)
- 1913 - Ştefan Octavian Iosif, Romanian poet (b. 1875)
- 1925 - Felix Klein, German mathematician (b. 1849)
- 1928 - A. B. Frost, American illustrator (b. 1851)
- 1931 - Armand Fallières, French president (b. 1841)
- 1932 - Tommy Treichel, American professional wrestler (b. 1892)
- 1933 - Henry Birkin, British racing driver (b. 1896)
- 1935 - Szymon Askenazy, Polish historian, diplomat and politician (b. 1866)
- 1959 - Hermann Brill, German politician (b. 1895)
- 1961 - Maria of Romania, Queen Consort of Yugoslavia (b. 1900)
- 1963 - Maria Tănase, Romanian singer of traditional and popular music (b. 1913)
- 1964 - Havank, Dutch writer (b. 1904)
- 1965 - David O. Selznick, American film producer (b. 1902)
- 1969 - Judy Garland, American singer and actress (b. 1922)
- 1974 - Darius Milhaud, French composer (b. 1892)
- 1977 - Peter Laughner, American singer, songwriter and guitarist (Rocket From the Tombs, Pere Ubu) (b. 1952)
- 1979 - Louis Chiron, Monaco race car driver (b. 1899)
- 1984 - Joseph Losey, American theater and film director (b. 1909)
- 1987 - Fred Astaire, American dancer and actor (b. 1899)
- 1988 - Dennis Day, American singer and actor (b. 1916)
- 1989 - Lucien Saulnier, French Canadian politician (b. 1916)
- 1990 - Ilya Frank, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1908)
- 1992 - Chuck Mitchell, American actor (b. 1927)
- 1993 - Pat Nixon, First Lady of the United States (b. 1912)
1994 - Otto Bradfisch, Nazi leader (b. 1903)
- 1995 - Al Hansen, American artist (b. 1927)
- 1997 - Gérard Pelletier, French Canadian journalist, politician, and diplomat (b. 1919)
- 1997 - Ted Gärdestad, Swedish singer (b. 1956)
- 2002 - Darryl Kile, American baseball player (b. 1968)
- 2002 - Ann Landers, American columnist (b. 1918)
- 2004 - Mattie Stepanek, American poet (b. 1990)
- 2004 - Bob Bemer, computer scientist (b. 1920)
- 2004 - Kim Sun-il, South Korean translator (b. 1970)
- 2006 - Moose, dog actor popular for role on Frasier (b. 1990)
- 2007 - Nancy Benoit, former professional wrestling valet(b. 1964)
- 2007 - Erik Parlevliet, Dutch field hockey player (b. 1964)
Holidays and Observances
- ^ *Holweck, F. G. A Biographical Dictionary of the Saint. St. Louis, MO: B. Herder Book Co. 1924.
130 Familypedia people were born on June 22
166 Familypedia people died on June 22
81 Familypedia people were first married on June 22