|July 3 in recent years
July 3 is the 184th day of the year (185th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 181 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 324 - Battle of Adrianople Constantine I defeats Licinius, who flees to Byzantium.
- 987 - Hugh Capet was crowned King of France, the first of the Capetian dynasty which ruled France till the French Revolution in 1792.
- 1250 - Louis IX of France is captured by Baibars' Mamluk army at the Battle of Fariskur while he is in Egypt conducting the Seventh Crusade; he later has to ransom himself.
- 1608 - Quebec City founded by Samuel de Champlain.
- 1754 - French and Indian War: George Washington surrenders Fort Necessity to French forces.
- 1767 - Pitcairn Island is discovered by Midshipman Robert Pitcairn on an expeditionary voyage commanded by Philip Carteret.
- 1767 - Norway's oldest newspaper still in print, Adresseavisen, is founded (first edition published this date).
- 1775 - American Revolutionary War: George Washington takes command of the Continental Army at Cambridge.
- 1778 - American Revolutionary War: British forces massacre 360 men, women & children in the Wyoming Valley massacre.
- 1778 - Prussia declares war on Austria.
- 1819 - The first savings bank in the United States (The Bank of Savings in New York City) opens.
- 1839 - The first state normal school in the United States, the forerunner to today's Framingham State College, opens in Lexington with 3 students.
- 1844 - The last pair of Great Auks is killed.
- 1848 - Slaves are freed in the Danish West Indies (now U.S. Virgin Islands) by Peter von Scholten.
- 1849 - The French entered Rome in order to restore Pope Pius IX to power. This would prove a major obstacle to Italian unification.
- 1852 - Congress establishes the United States's 2nd mint in San Francisco.
- 1863 - U.S. Civil War: The final day of the Battle of Gettysburg culminates with Pickett's Charge.
- 1866 - Austro-Prussian War is decided at the Battle of Königgratz, resulting in Prussia taking over as the prominent German nation from Austria.
- 1884 - Dow Jones published its 1st stock average.
- 1886 - The New York Tribune becomes the first newspaper to use a linotype machine, eliminating typesetting by hand.
- 1890 - Idaho is admitted as the 43rd U.S. state.
- 1898 - Spanish fleet, led by Pascual Cervera y Topete, destroyed by the U.S. Navy in Santiago, Cuba during the Spanish-American War.
- 1928 - First color television broadcast in London.
- 1938 - World speed record for a steam railway locomotive is set in England, by the Mallard, which reaches a speed of 126 mph.(203 km/h)
- 1944 - World War II: Minsk was liberated from Nazi control by Soviet troops during Operation Bagration.
- 1952 - Puerto Rico's Constitution is approved by the Congress of the United States.
- 1962 - The Algerian War of Independence against the French ends.
- 1970 - A British Dan-Air De Havilland Comet chartered jetliner crashes into mountains north of Barcelona, Spain killing 113 people.
- 1976 - Israeli commandos rescue 105 hostages at Entebbe Airport, Uganda during Operation Yonatan.
- 1977 - The Senegalese Republican Movement (MRS) is founded.
- 1979 - US President Jimmy Carter signs the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul.
- 1986 - US President Ronald Reagan presides over the relighting of the renovated Statue of Liberty.
- 1988 - United States Navy warship USS Vincennes shoots down Iran Air Flight 655 over the Persian Gulf, killing all 290 people aboard.
- 1988 - The Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge in Istanbul, Turkey is completed, providing the second connection between the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosporus.
- 1989 - Fitzgerald Inquiry released in Queensland.
- 1994 - The deadliest day in Texas traffic history, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety. Forty six people were killed in crashes.
- 2001 - A Vladivostok Avia Tupolev TU-154 jetliner crashes on approach to landing at Irkutsk killing 145 people.
- 2004 - Official opening of Bangkok's subway system.
- 2005 - The national law legalizing same-sex marriage takes effect in Spain.
- 2006 - Asteroid labeled as 2004 XP14 flies 432,308 km (268,624 miles) by Earth.
- 2007 - Ghana introduces new Ghanaian cedi currency.
- 1000 - Thomas Nightfarticus
- 1423 - King Louis XI of France (d. 1483)
- 1442 - Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado of Japan (d. 1500)
- 1530 - Claude Fauchet, French historian (d. 1601)
- 1676 - Leopold I, Prussian field marshal (d. 1747)
- 1683 - Edward Young, English poet (d. 1765)
- 1685 - Sir Robert Rich, British cavalry officer (d. 1768)
- 1728 - Robert Adam, Scottish architect (d. 1792)
- 1738 - John Singleton Copley, American painter (d. 1815)
- 1743 - Sophia Magdalena of Denmark, queen consort of Sweden (d. 1813)
- 1851 - Charles Bannerman, Australian cricketer (d. 1930)
- 1854 - Leoš Janáček, Czech composer (d. 1928)
- 1870 - Richard Bedford Bennett, 11th Prime Minister of Canada (d. 1947)
- 1875 - Ferdinand Sauerbruch, German surgeon (d. 1951)
- 1878 - George M. Cohan, American actor, director, singer and dancer (d. 1942)
- 1879 - Alfred Korzybski, Polish linguist (d. 1950)
- 1880 - Carl Schuricht, Polish-born German conductor (d. 1967)
- 1883 - Franz Kafka, Czech writer (d. 1924)
- 1900 - Alessandro Blasetti, Italian film director (d. 1987)
- 1903 - Ace Bailey, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1992)
- 1906 - George Sanders, Russian-born actor (d. 1972)
- 1908 - M. F. K. Fisher, American writer (d. 1992)
- 1908 - Robert B. Meyner, American politician (d. 1990)
- 1913 - Dorothy Kilgallen, American columnist (d. 1965)
- 1917 - João Saldanha, Brazilian journalist and football manager (d. 1990)
- 1918 - S. V. Ranga Rao, South Indian actor (d. 1974)
- 1920 - Paul O'Dea, baseball player (d. 1978)
- 1921 - Susan Peters, American actress (d. 1952)
- 1924 - S. R. Nathan, 6th president of Singapore
- 1927 - Ken Russell, British director
- 1930 - Carlos Kleiber, Austrian conductor (d. 2004)
- 1930 - Tommy Tedesco, American musician (d. 1997)
- 1930 - Pete Fountain, American clarinetist
- 1933 - Edward Brandt, American doctor and public health official (d. 2007)
- 1935 - Harrison Schmitt, American astronaut and politician
- 1937 - Tom Stoppard, Czech-born, British playwright
- 1938 - Bolo Yeung, Hong Kong actor
- 1939 - László Kovács, Hungarian politician and diplomat
- 1940 - César Tovar, Venezuelan Major League Baseball player (d. 1994)
- 1940 - Lamar Alexander, American politician
- 1940 - Jerzy Buzek, Prime Minister of Poland
- 1940 - Fontella Bass, American soul singer
- 1942 - Eddy Mitchell, French singer and actor
- 1942 - Paco Stanley, Mexican TV personality (d. 1999)
- 1943 - Kurtwood Smith, American actor
- 1944 - Michel Polnareff, French singer and songwriter
- 1945 - Michael Cole, American TV actor
- 1946 - Leszek Miller, Prime Minister of Poland
- 1947 - Dave Barry, American writer
- 1947 - Betty Buckley, American actress
- 1948 - Tarmo Koivisto, Finnish comics artist
- 1949 - Jan Smithers, American actress
- 1949 - Johnnie Wilder, American singer (Heatwave) (d. 2006)
- 1950 - Sandra Lee, American writer and TV presenter
- 1950 - James Hahn, American politician
- 1950 - Ewen Chatfield, New Zealand cricketer
- 1951 - Richard Hadlee, New Zealand cricketer
- 1951 - Jean-Claude Duvalier, Haitian politician
- 1952 - Alan Autry, American football player and politician
- 1955 - Sanma Akashiya, Japanese television performer
- 1956 - Don Vito, American Viva La Bam castmember
- 1957 - Laura Branigan, American singer (d. 2004)
- 1958 - Matthew Fraser, Canadian-British journalist
- 1958 - Aaron Tippin, American singer
- 1959 - Julie Burchill, British journalist and author
- 1959 - Stephen Pearcy, American singer (Ratt)
- 1960 - Vince Clarke, British songwriter (Depeche Mode, Yazoo, and Erasure)
- 1961 - Pedro Romeiras, Portuguese dancer
- 1961 - Tim Smith, English musician (Cardiacs)
- 1962 - Tom Cruise, American actor
- 1962 - Hunter Tylo, American actress
- 1962 - Thomas Gibson, American actor
- 1964 - Joanne Harris, British author
- 1964 - Yeardley Smith, French-born American actress
- 1965 - Shinya Hashimoto, Japanese wrestler (d. 2005)
- 1965 - Connie Nielsen, Danish actress
- 1966 - Moises Alou, Dominican baseball player
- 1966 - Sandra Lee, American television host and cookbook author
- 1969 - Kevin Hearn, Canadian musician (Barenaked Ladies)
- 1970 - Teemu Selänne, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1970 - Shawnee Smith, American actress
- 1970 - Serhiy Honchar, Ukrainian cyclist
- 1973 - Johnny Terris, Canadian-born actor and director
- 1973 - Patrick Wilson, American actor
- 1973 - Emma Cunniffe, British actress
- 1976 - Andrea Barber, American actress
- 1976 - Wanderlei Silva, Brazilian mixed martial artist
- 1976 - Wade Belak, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1979 - Ludivine Sagnier, French actress
- 1979 - Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Greek footballer
- 1980 - Roland Mark Schoeman, South African swimmer
- 1980 - Kevin Boyle, American basketballer
- 1982 - Kanika, Indian actress
- 1984 - Corey Sevier, Canadian actor
- 1987 - Sebastian Vettel, German racing driver
- 1988 - James Troisi, Australian footballer
- 683 - Pope Leo II
- 1570 - Aonio Paleario, Italian humanist
- 1642 - Maria de' Medici, wife of Henry IV of France (b. 1573)
- 1672 - Francis Willughby, English biologist (b. 1635)
- 1704 - Sophia Alekseyevna, regent of Russia (b. 1657)
- 1749 - William Jones, Welsh mathematician (b. 1675)
- 1778 - Anna Maria Walburga Mozart née Pertl, mother of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (b. 1720)
- 1790 - Jean-Baptiste L. Romé de l'Isle, French chemist (b. 1736)
- 1795 - Louis-Georges de Bréquigny, French historian (b. 1714)
- 1795 - Antonio de Ulloa, Spanish general and governor of Louisiana (b. 1716)
- 1809 - Joseph Quesnel, French Canadian composer, poet and playwright (b. 1746)
- 1858 - Alexander Andreyevich Ivanov, Russian painter (b. 1806)
- 1863 - George Hull Ward, American general (b. 1826)
- 1904 - Theodor Herzl, Austrian Zionist (b. 1860)
- 1904 - Edouard Beaupré, Canadian giant and strongman (b. 1881)
- 1914 - Joseph Chamberlain, British politician (b. 1836)
- 1916 - Hetty Green, American businesswoman (b. 1834)
- 1918 - Sultan Mehmed V of the Ottoman Empire (b. 1844)
- 1933 - Hipólito Yrigoyen, President of Argentina (b. 1852)
- 1935 - André Citroën, French automobile pioneer (b. 1878)
- 1942 - Louis Franchet d'Espèrey, French general (b. 1856)
- 1954 - Siegfried Handloser, German physician (b. 1895)
- 1957 - Dolf Luque, baseball player (b. 1890)
- 1969 - Brian Jones, English musician (The Rolling Stones) (drowned) (b. 1942)
- 1971 - Jim Morrison, American singer (The Doors) (b. 1943)
- 1977 - Alexander M. Volkov, Russian novelist and mathematician (b. 1891)
- 1978 - James Daly, American actor (b. 1918)
- 1979 - Louis Durey, French composer (b. 1888)
- 1981 - Ross Martin, Polish-American actor (b. 1920)
- 1985 - Frank Selke, Canadian ice hockey manager (b. 1893)
- 1986 - Rudy Vallee, American singer (b. 1901)
- 1989 - Jim Backus, American actor (b. 1913)
- 1993 - Joe DeRita, American actor and comedian (b. 1909)
- 1993 - Don Drysdale, baseball player (b. 1936)
- 1994 - Lew Hoad, Australian tennis player (b. 1934)
- 1995 - Pancho Gonzales, American tennis player (b. 1928)
- 1995 - Eddie Mazur, Canadian ice hockey player (b. 1929)
- 1998 - Danielle Bunten Berry, American software developer (b. 1949)
- 1999 - Mark Sandman, American musician (b. 1952)
- 2000 - Kemal Sunal, Turkish actor (b. 1944)
- 2001 - Mordecai Richler, Canadian author (b. 1931)
- 2001 - Johnny Russell, American country singer and songwriter (b. 1940)
- 2003 - Gaetano Alibrandi, Papal diplomat (b. 1914)
- 2004 - Andrian Nikolayev, cosmonaut (b. 1929)
- 2005 - Alberto Lattuada, Italian film director (b. 1914)
- 2005 - Gaylord Nelson, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin (b. 1916)
- 2006 - Joseph Goguen, American computer scientist (b. 1941)
- 2006 - Benjamin Hendrickson, American actor (b. 1950)
- 2007 - Alice Timander, Swedish dentist (b. 1915)
- 2007 - Boots Randolph, American saxophonist (b. 1927)
Holidays and observances
Liturgical Feast days
- ^ *Attwater, Donald and Catherine Rachel John. The Penguin Dictionary of Saints. 3rd edition. New York: Penguin Books, 1993. ISBN 0-140-51312-4.
113 Familypedia people were born on July 3
133 Familypedia people died on July 3
68 Familypedia people were first married on July 3