Cpt. Joseph Howe, Jr. was born 19 February 1697 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts to Joseph Howe (1661-1701) and Dorothy Martin (1663-1742) and died 18 February 1775 Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts of unspecified causes. He married Zerviah Howe (1702-1723) 20 February 1723 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. He married Ruth Brigham (1704-1791) 20 February 1727 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
He died 18 Feb. 1775. He was a very prominent man in the town, serving as one of the Selectmen several years.
His will dated 16 July 1770, and proved 14 March 1775, mentions wife Ruth, sons Joseph, Thaddeus, Phienas and Artemas, daughters Zerviah Smith, Dinah Willard, wife of Joseph Willard, Miriam Bigelow and Betty, then unmarried, and children of Dorothy, wife of Cyprian Howe.
King George's War 1746
Captain of a company of horsemen in 1746, and was at No 4, (Charlestown, NH) in the fight with the Indians 3 Aug. 1746.
King George's War (1744–1748) is the name given to the military operations in North America that formed part of the War of the Austrian Succession (1740–1748). It was the third of the four French and Indian Wars. It took place primarily in the British provinces of New York, Massachusetts Bay, New Hampshire, and Nova Scotia.
Marriage & Family
Married first to Zerviah Howe (1702-1723), his cousin, who appeared to die at the birth of her first and only child. Married 20 Feb. 1722, ZERVIAH HOWE, daughter of Capt Daniel and Elizabeth (Kerley) Howe, born in Marlborough, 15 Dec. 1702; she died 10 Dec. 1723.
- Zerviah Howe (1723-1773) - md Smith
He married second, I2 July 1727, Ruth Brigham (1704-1791), daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Fay) Brigham, born in Marlborough, 30 April 1704, died 14 Oct. 1781.
- Joseph Howe (1729-1800)
- Dorothy Howe (1730-1764) - md Col. Cyprian Howe, a distant cousin, commander of Massachusetts minuteman militia in 1775.
- Dinah Howe (1731-1796) - md Joseph Willard
- Thaddeus Howe (1733-1799)
- Elizabeth Howe (1734-1799) - md. Dr. Ebenezer Howe, a Harvard graduate who started a practice in Barre, Massachusetts.
- Samuel Howe (1737-1756)
- Phineas Howe (1739-1832) - served as a 1775 minuteman and in the Saratoga Campaign of the Revolutionary War.
- Artemas Howe (1743-1813) - md Ms Mary Bigelow
- Miriam Howe (1744-1825) - md Mr Timothy Bigelow
|Offspring of Cpt. Joseph Howe, Jr. and Zerviah Howe (1702-1723)|
|Zerviah Howe (1723-1773)|
- Daniel Wait Howe, Howe Genealogies, Vol. 2, NEHGS; Boston 1929, p288
- Vital Records of Marlborough, MA to 1849, page 101
- King George's War - Wikipedia