Joseph Howe was born 9 April 1661 in Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts to Abraham Howe (1632-1695) and Hannah Ward (1638-1717) and died 4 September 1700 Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts of unspecified causes. He married Dorothy Martin (1663-1742) 29 December 1687 in Charlestown, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
Joseph Howe, second son of Abraham and Hannah (Ward) Howe, was born in 1660-61. He was an extensive real estate holder, owning land in Watertown, Lancaster and Marlborough, and among his possessions in the last named town was the Felton grist mill, which was probably the first one erected there. His death occurred in Marlborough, September 4, 1700.
JOSEPH2 How (Abrham1), was born in Watertown, 9 April 1661; married in Charlestown, 29 Dec. 1687, DOROTHY MARTIN, daughter of Thomas and Joanna Martin. They lived in Marlborough, where he was a large landholder, and owned the grist mill at the ?Mills? in that part of Marlborough, now Hudson. It was probably the first mill erected on the Assabet River, within the limits of the town. He died in the prime of life, 4 Sept. 1700. His widow married second, 15 May 1706, SAMUEL MORRIS; they lived in Marlborough a few years, then moved from town. In 1718 they were living near Woodstock, Ct.
Burial site for Family: Maplewood Cemetery, Marlborough MA.
Marriage & Family
He married Dorothy Martin and had a family of six children: Sarah. Eunice, Bethia, Joseph, Abraham and Jedediah. Children born in Marlborough:
- Sarah Howe (1688-) - b. 27 July i688; in. 6 Dec. 1711, Jeremiah Barstow, son of John Barstow of Scituate, b. 28 Aug. 1682. After the death of his wife?s father, he bought the mill from the estate, and ran the same until 1723, when he sold out to Robert Barnard, and later moved from town.
- Eunice Howe (1692-1725) - md Capt. Thomas Amsden -
- Bethiah Howe (1694-1756) - md her first cousin - Jedediah Brigham (1693-1763). Res- Marlborough MA
- Joseph Howe (1697-1775) - Militia captain of company of cavalry fought French and Indians during King George's War (1746). Res. Marlborough MA. He married first his cousin, Zerviah Howe (1702-1723), who died at the birth of her first child.
- Abraham Howe (1699-1781) - Res Marlborough MA
- Jedediah Howe (1701-1761) - Res. Southborough MA - md Abigail Warren