Joseph Faunce was born 14 May 1653 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts to John Faunce (1600-1653) and Patience Morton (1614-1691) and died 18 January 1728 Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts of unspecified causes. He married Judith Rickard (1657-1725) 3 January 1677 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.
JOSEPH FAUNCE was born 14 May 1653 in Plymouth, Massachusetts, to John Faunce (1610-1687) and Patience Morton (1614-1691). He passed away about 18 January 1687, (this must be a wrong date, because his last child was born in 1703) in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Joseph Faunce was in the list of men at a town meeting held in Plymouth 4 May 1776 when the rate for soldiers was increased. “Att this meeting the Town voated that 30£ more shall be Rated for to be added to the former Rate to pay the souldiers.” He was in the South Military company formed in 1699. 25 May 1691 he was chosen surveyor of the highways. Joseph was selected to serve on the Jury 1 March 1696 and on the Grand Jury 6 March 1698/9.
Joseph Faunce is mentioned in land records. In 1684 Joseph’s land is mentioned as adjoining the King’s Highway. On 31 August he was granted by the town two acres. Joseph Faunce was a Proprietor of Plymouth in 1701. In 1705 each proprietor took a 20-acre lot, and shortly afterwards 60 acres. In 1710 he owned part of the estate of Amasa Holmes on the King’s Highway.
Joseph Faunce and his wife, Judith, were members of the church in 1703; Judith was still a member in 1724.
Marriage and Family
He married 3 January 1677 in Plymouth, Judith, the daughter of Giles and Hannah Dunham Rickard. JUDITH RICKARD was born about 1656 of Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, to Giles Rickard and Hannah Dunham (1630-1709.) She married 3 January 1677/78 in Plymouth to Joseph Faunce. Judith Rickard and her husband Joseph Faunce were members of the church 1703; Judith was still a member in 1724. We do not know when she died. We estimate it at about 1724, at about age 67.
Children of Joseph Faunce and Judith Rickard:
- Hannah Faunce, b. 12 Jan 1679; md. Ephraim Morton, 1682; D. 11 Nov 1760.
- Mary Faunce, b. 2 June 1681; md. (1) Lt. Nathaniel Morton 1706; (2) Deacon Joseph Hall, 1688; d. 31 May 1761.
- John Faunce, b. 16 Sep 1678; md. Lydia Cook 1710; d. 19 Mar 1766.
- Mercy Faunce, b. 30 June 1686; d. 29 Apr 1687. Child.
- Mehitable Faunce, b. 27 May 1689; md. Judah Hall, 1705; d. 1727.
- Joseph Faunce, b. 31 May 1693; md. Martha Soule, 14 Feb 1722; d. 1761.
- Eleazer Faunce, b. 6 Feb. 1696; md. Hannah Warren 1724; d. 1746.
- Thomas Faunce was born 16 July 1698 in Plymouth, Massachusetts, He married Hannah Damon 13 April 1732 in Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts. He died 12 June 1788 in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- Benjamin Faunce, b. 17 Feb 1703; d. 23 June 1704.
|Offspring of Joseph Faunce and Judith Rickard (1657-1725)|
|Hannah Faunce (1679-1760)|
|Mary Faunce (1681-1761)|
|John Faunce (1683-1751)|
|Mercy Faunce (1686-1687)|
|Mehitable Faunce (1689-1727)||27 May 1689 Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts||1727 Kingston, Plymouth County, Massachusetts||Judah Hall (1686-1727)|
|Joseph Faunce (1693-1761)|
|Eleazer Faunce (1696-1746)||6 February 1696 Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States||1746 Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States||Hannah Warren (1704-1760)|
|Thomas Fuance (1698-1788)|
|Benjamin Faunce (1703-1704)|
- The Faunce Family History and Genealogy: The Ancestry and Descendants of John Faunce or Purleigh, Essex, England and Plymouth, Massachusetts,” by James F. Faunce, Akron, Ohio, 1967, 1973.