Jonathan Bigelow, Jr. was born 22 March 1673 in Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut to Jonathan Bigelow (1646-1711) and Rebecca Shepard (1650-1686) and died 29 July 1749 Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut of unspecified causes. He married Mabel Edwards (1685-1765) 14 December 1699 in Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut.
Jonathan 3 BIGELOW, oldest child of Jonathan 2, (John 1), and Rebecca (SHEPARD) BIGELOW, was born 22 March 1673 in Windsor, Hartford, CT. He was married 14 December 1699 to Mabel EDWARDS, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (TUTHILL) EDWARDS, and a relative of the theologian Rev. Jonathan EDWARDS (see below). Mabel was born 13 December 1685 Hartford. They settled near his father's homestead in Weathersfield Lane, and he died there 29 July 1749.
Due to poor town records of Hartford, we find baptisms of most of the children in Church records. Mabel died 14 May 1765 in Hartford.
His will, drawn up 16 November 1738, proved _ October 1749, mentions wife Mabel, daughters Jerusha, Rebecca, Mabel, and Irena, and sons Timothy and Jonathan; by implication children Joseph and Anne were by then deceased without issue.
From the clerk's office in Hartford we find that John POOGOTOON (Indian) and Sarah his wife, with consent of their master Thomas REEVES of Southwold, Long Island, did bind themselves and their son Sampson to serve Jonathan Bigelow (themselves for four and one half years, Sampson until he was 21 years of age, or nineteen years six months), dated 12 July 1723.
Family of Jonathan and Mabel Bigelow
Children of Jonathan and Mabel (EDWARDS) BIGELOW, all born Hartford, CT:
- Timothy, b 20 June 1702; d 02 June 1747 Hartford; m 25 Oct 1727 Abigail OLCOTT. 7 children.
- Mabel, b 12 Nov 1704; d 10 Nov 1757 Hartford; m 18 May 1725 Daniel SEYMOUR. 4 children.
- Joseph, bapt 15 Sep 1706; not mentioned in father's will 1738.
- Rebecca, bapt 05 Dec 1708; d 08 Jan 1754 Hartford; unmarried.
- Irene, bapt 04 Nov 1711 Windsor, Hartford, CT; d. 27 March 1790, Manchester, CT (deceased before 1759 (there are conflicting records)); m 1730 Daniel MARSH. 8 children.
- Jonathan, bapt 27 June 1714; d 23 or 25 Jan 1779 Hartford; m ca 1734 Tabitha COLEMAN; res Hartford. 9 children.
- Jerusha, bapt 23 June 1717; d 17 Aug 1777 Hartford; m Elisha BUTLER.
- Anne, bapt 07 Jan 1721; not mentioned in father's will 1738.
|Offspring of Jonathan Bigelow, Jr. and Mabel Edwards (1685-1765)|
|Timothy Bigelow (1702-1747)|
|Mabel Bigelow (1704-1757)|
|Joseph Bigelow (1706-)|
|Rebecca Bigelow (1708-1754)|
|Irene Bigelow (1711-1759)|
|Jonathan Bigelow (1714-1779)|
|Jerusha Bigelow (1717-1777)|
|Anne Bigelow (1721-)|
- History of John Bigelow Jr - Bigelow Family HIstory Society
- Bigelow Family Genealogy, Vol I page 19;
- Howe, Bigelow Family of America; page 30;
- Barbour, Families of Early Hartford, CT;
- Mainwaring, Early Wills & Probate Records of Connecticut;
- Forge: The Bigelow Society Quarterly, vol. 12, p. 35.
- Notes from: http://www.silcom.com/~campbell/genealogy/bigelow.html