John Bailey Jr (1613-1691) - 1635 Shipwreck Survivor
- Son of John Bailey Sr (1571-1651) and Elizabeth Knight (1591-?)
- 1613-Jul-22 : Birth at Chippenham, Salisbury, Wiltshire Co, England
- 1635-Aug-15 : Migration to America / Shipwreck of Angel Gabriel - Massachusetts Bay Colony
- 1640-May-22 : Marriage to Eleanor Emery - probably Newbury, MA
- 1691-Mar-16 : Died/Buried at Newbury, Essex Co, Massachusetts Colony
We advise genealogists use caution with this family. There appears to be multiple John Baileys and Eleanor Emerys in this time period. Many family records have them quite confused. This record track John Bailey Sr & John Bailey Jr who survived the 1635 Shipwreck.
1635 Shipwreck of Angel Gabriel
John Bailey Jr (and his father, John Bailey Sr) were believed to have sailed to America on the ill-fated Angel Gabriel. That ship was part of fleet of five that participated in the ongoing Great Migration to the Massachusetts Bay Colony. It wrecked, Aug 15, 1635, on the coast of Bristol, Maine in an unusually powerful early season hurricane, dubbed the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635. Both Bailey's survived the shipwreck and settled in Newbury, Massachusetts. John Jr's daughter, Sarah, would marry Daniel Cheney.
The Angel Gabriel had a colorful history. A 240-ton English galleon built as a merchant ship, but outfitted for combat, it saw many skirmishes with the Spanish in the years 1617-1635. A memorial plaque was dedicated near Pemaquid Point, Maine (near Bristol) in 1965.
- Wikipedia Story of the Angel Gabriel - with References and passenger list
Biography per Essex Antiquarian - Vol. 5 No. 7,8.9 pg.
John b. abouth 1613; He was at first a weaver, and subseqently a busandman. He lived in Salisbury until 1643, when he removed to Newbury, where he afterwards lived, being on of the selectmen in 1664. He married Eleanor Emery about 1664; and was made a freeman in 1669. His wife was engaged in the practice of mid-wifery in 1669 and 1670. He died in March, in 1669-1; and she remained his widow, administration being granted on her estate Dec. 23, 1700.
Marriage and Family
- Sarah Bayley (1644-1714) - m. Daniel Cheney in Newbury, MA.
- James Bayley (1650-1706) - minister for new church in Salem Village (1672-1682). Many relatives involved with the Salem witch trials. Church minister in Salem, Massachusetts (age 22), Killingworth, Connecticut / Physician in Roxbury, Boston.
|Offspring of John Bayley, Sr. and Elizabeth Knight (1591-?) or Susannah|
|John Bayley (1613-1691)||22 July 1613 Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom||16 March 1691 Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States|| Eleanor Emery (1624-1700)|
- John Bailey Sr (1571-1651) - b. England and migrated to America with Son in 1635
- Thomas Bailey (1549-1605) - c. Bromham Parish, Wiltshire, England, m. Baily Jane
- William Bailey (1520-1569) - b. Wiltshire England, m. Catherine Leigh
- Robert Bailey (1511-1556) - b. Bromham Parish, Wiltshire, England, m. Margaret Delves
- Thomas Bailey (1465-1543) - b. Bailey Derbyshire, England, m. Agnes Cleaveland
- John Bayley List of Famous Descendants -
- John Bayley
- Bayley in Essex County, Massachusetts
- Bayley in Wiltshire
- Benjamin Cheney Immigrant Ancestors - Early New England Ancestors of Mormon Pioneer Benjamin Cheney
- Joseph Bailey Family Tree
- Hollingsworth Report on Family of Bailey