John A Colby (1858-1915) Banker
- Son of John Quincy Adams Colby (1827-1858) and Sarah J Colby
- 1858-Nov-09 : Birth in Guiford, New Hampshire, per state birth records.
- 1918-Jun-13 : Died in Haverhill, MA
Graduated from Haverhill High School in 1879 and immediately began his business career as treasurer's clerk in the office of the Haverhill & Groveland Street Railway Company. He became treasurer in 1994 and general manager in 1890. He served in these positions until it merged with Lowell, Lawrence & Haverhill Street Railway Company. Afterwards he became the manager of the Duncan Estate.
A musician with a baritone voice and member of the First Universalist Church Quartette for 14 years.
A staunch Republican who actively assisted in the 1906 mayoral campaign in Haverhill.
A member of the Pentucket Club, Haverhill Historical Society and trustee of the Haverhill Savings Bank.
- Pg 575 - Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to Families Boston and Eastern Massachusetts - Vol II -Publ 1908 by William Cutler, Google Books
- Colby Family History Project -
1900 US Census
Taken at Haverhill, MA - John is living with his sister and mother.
- John A Colby, b Nov 1858 , ocp: real estate agent
- Carrie E Colby, b Jan 1856, sister
- Sarah J Colby, b Aug 1830, mother;parents born in Maine & Mass.