- Born: Elsass-Lothringen (Alsace-Lorraine)
- Died: Winter 1812 in Napoleon's Army during his failed invasion of Russia
- Burial: possibly the mass grave under Vilnius, Lithuania ("the city built on bones")
- Napoleonic Wars: Conscripted into Napoleon's Army for failed invasion of Russia (1812)
From his grandson's biography: "The grandfather of Francis Goodman was a native of Alsace-Lorraine, and served under Napoleon during his Russian campaign never returning. It is probable that he perished in the snows on their retreat from Moscow. His widow moved over the line into Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, where she reared her only child--our subject's father."
- ^ Possible causes of death include exposure to extreme cold or typhus (http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,638751,00.html).
- ^ http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/archaeology/napoleon_army_01.shtml