|Jefferson County, Iowa|
Courthouse in Fairfield is on the NRHP
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Thomas Jefferson|
437 sq mi (1,132 km²)
436 sq mi (1,129 km²)
1.4 sq mi (4 km²), 0.3%
39/sq mi (15/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Jefferson County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 16,843. The county seat is Fairfield. The county was formed on January 21, 1839 and named after President Thomas Jefferson.
Jefferson County comprises the Fairfield, IA Micropolitan Statistical Area.
- Keokuk County (northwest)
- Washington County (northeast)
- Henry County (east)
- Van Buren County (south)
- Wapello County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The 2010 census recorded a population of 16,843 in the county, with a population density of 38.6893/sq mi (14.9380/km2). There were 7,594 housing units, of which 6,846 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,181 people, 6,649 households, and 4,281 families residing in the county. The population density was 37 people per square mile (14/km²). There were 7,241 housing units at an average density of 17 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.02% White, 0.64% Black or African American, 0.17% Native American, 1.70% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.53% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. 1.84% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,649 households out of which 31.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.10% were married couples living together, 8.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.60% were non-families. 30.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.40% under the age of 18, 7.60% from 18 to 24, 24.40% from 25 to 44, 29.80% from 45 to 64, and 13.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,851, and the median income for a family was $43,819. Males had a median income of $32,066 versus $22,479 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,579. About 7.40% of families and 10.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.40% of those under age 18 and 9.00% of those age 65 or over.
Law and government
Jefferson County's executive branch is a three-member board of supervisors. Supervisors are elected to four-year terms. The current board members, their party affiliations and the years in which they were last elected are: Steve Burgmeier (Chair) (Republican, 2008), Lee Dimmitt (Republican, 2008), and Richard Reed (Republican, 2010). Other elected officials are Scott Reneker, county auditor; Jerry Droz, county sheriff; Terri Kness, county treasurer; and Kelly Spees, county recorder.
- Maharishi Vedic City
- Pleasant Plain
The population ranking of the following table is based on the 2010 census of Jefferson County.
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|5||Maharishi Vedic City||City||259|
|8||Coppock (mostly in Henry and Washington Counties)||City||47|
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Jefferson County, Iowa
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19101.html. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off.. pp. 168. https://books.google.com/books?id=9V1IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA168#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ Jefferson County
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- ^ "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Jefferson County Home Page". http://www.jeffersoncountyiowa.com/. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- ^ http://jefferson.iowaassessors.com/parcel.php?gid=7851
- ^ Fairfield Business Park
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
|Keokuk County||Washington County|
|Wapello County||Henry County|
Jefferson County, Iowa
|Van Buren County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Jefferson County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|