Jared Pratt was born 25 November 1769 in Canaan, Columbia County, New York, United States to Obadiah Pratt (1742-1797) and Jemima Tolls (1754-1812) and died 5 November 1839 Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, United States of unspecified causes. He married Mary Carpenter (1771-1798) 1792 in New Lebanon, Columbia County, New York, United States. He married Charity Dickinson (1776-1849) 7 July 1799 in Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, United States.
Jared, first son of Obadiah and Jemima Tolls Pratt, was born 25 November, 1768 at Canaan. He was married twice, first to Mary Carpenter, in 1792. She died and left but one child, Mary or Polly Pratt, born Feb 1793. He then married Charity Dickinson, 7 July 1799, by whom had five sons.
He carefully instilled in the minds of his children strict honesty and morality by both precept and example, thus preparing them for the restored gospel. He taught school in winter and farmed in the summer. He was also a weaver. He died 5 November 1839, age 70. Charity died at St. Joseph, Mo., 20 May 1848, age 72.
He married 1799 to Charity Dickinson, a descendant of Anne Hutchinson and was father of Parley P. Pratt and Orson Pratt.
He is a descendant of William Pratt (1609–1678) was an early colonial settler, a lieutenant in the Pequot War, and a representative to the General Court of Connecticut for 23 terms.
Marriage of Jared Pratt and Mary Carpenter
Jared's first wife, Mary Carpenter (1771-1798), died sometime after the birth of their first child.
- Mary Pratt (1793-1849) - md. Jerome Brown
Marriage of Charity Dickinson and Jared Pratt
- Anson Pratt (1801-1849) - md. Sarah Barber
- William Dickinson Pratt (1802-1870) - md Wealthy Eddy
- Parley Parker Pratt (1807-1857) - Famous Mormon Pioneer, Apostle and Martyr
- Orson Pratt (1811-1881) - Famous Mormon Pioneer & Apostle
- Nelson Edmund Pratt (1815-1889) - md. Finetta Delano
|Offspring of Jared Pratt and Mary Carpenter (1771-1798)|
|Mary Pratt (1793-1849)||10 February 1793 Canaan, Columbia County, New York||2 January 1849 Canaan, Columbia County, New York||Jerome Brown (1778-1855) Jerome Brown (1778-1855) Samuel Bigelow (1789-1857)|
The Pratt family, descended from either of the Mormon pioneer brothers, Parley Parker Pratt or his brother Orson Pratt, whose father was Jared Pratt (1769–1839). This family has members in Utah and other parts of the U.S. One branch of the Pratt family is the Huntsman family. Another is the Romney family, descended from Parley Pratt's granddaughter Anna Pratt Romney and her husband Gaskell Romney.
- Jared Pratt Family Ancestry - Descendants and Ancestors of Jared Pratt - Royal English Family Lineage
- Jared Pratt Immigrant Ancestors - 7 generation link to a number of famous early American colonial immigrants.
- William Pratt Famous Descendants - GG grandfather of Jared Pratt. - Famous Colonial immigrant settler.
- Pratt Family History - Wikipedia profile on brothers Parley and Orson Pratt
- Jared Pratt Family Association - Family History
- Pratt Family Biographies