|January 25 in recent years
January 25 is the 25th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 340 days remaining until the end of the year (341 in leap years).
- 41 - After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
- 1327 - Edward III becomes King of England.
- 1494 - Alfonso II becomes King of Naples.
- 1533 - Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
- 1554 - Founding of São Paulo city, Brazil.
- 1573 - Battle of Mikatagahara, in Japan; Takeda Shingen defeats Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- 1755 - Moscow University established on Tatiana Day.
- 1787 - American Daniel Shays leads rebellion to seize Federal arsenal to protest debtor's prisons.
- 1791 - The British Parliament passes the Constitutional Act of 1791 and splits the old province of Quebec into Upper and Lower Canada.
- 1792 - The London Corresponding Society is founded.
- 1858 - The Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn becomes a popular wedding recessional after it is played on this day at the marriage of Queen Victoria's daughter, Victoria, and Friedrich of Prussia.
- 1879 - The Bulgarian National Bank is founded.
- 1881 - Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1890 - Nellie Bly completes her round-the-world journey in 72 days.
- 1909 - Richard Strauss' opera Elektra receives its debut performance at the Dresden State Opera.
- 1915 - Alexander Graham Bell inaugurates U.S. transcontinental telephone service.
- 1917 - The Danish West Indies is sold to the United States for $25 million.
- 1919 - The League of Nations is founded.
- 1924 - The 1924 Winter Olympics open in Chamonix, France (in the French Alps), inaugurating the Winter Olympic Games.
- 1937 - The Guiding Light airs on radio for the first time. Also went to television making this show the longest running broadcast program in United States radio and television history.
- 1941 - Pope Pius XII elevates the Apostolic Vicariate of the Hawaiian Islands to the dignity of a diocese. It becomes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
- 1942 - Thailand declares war on the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1945 - Battle of the Bulge ends.
- 1946 - The United Mine Workers rejoins the American Federation of Labor.
- 1949 - At the Hollywood Athletic Club the first Emmy Awards are presented.
- 1949 - The first Israeli election -- David Ben-Gurion becomes Prime Minister.
- 1955 - Soviet Union ends state of war with Germany.
- 1959 - Pope John XXIII proclaims upcoming Second Vatican Council.
- 1960 - The National Association of Broadcasters reacts to the Payola scandal by threatening fines for any disc jockeys who accepted money for playing particular records.
- 1961 - In Washington John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential television news conference.
- 1971 - Charles Manson and three female "Family" members are found guilty of the 1969 Tate-LaBianca murders.
- 1971 - Idi Amin leads a coup deposing Milton Obote and becomes Uganda's president.
- 1971 - Himachal Pradesh becomes the 18th Indian state.
- 1981 - Jiang Qing, the widow of Mao Zedong, is sentenced to death.
- 1981 - Tose Proeski, Macedonian Mega Star was born in Prilep,Macedonia
- 1986 - The National Resistance Movement topple the government of Tito Okello in Uganda.
- 1990 - The Burns' Day storm hits northwestern Europe.
- 1990 - Honduras becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1990 - Avianca Flight 52 crashes, killing 73 passengers.
- 1993 - Mir Amir Kansi kills two employees outside CIA headquarters in Langley.
- 1994 - The Clementine space probe launches.
- 1995 - The Norwegian Rocket Incident: Russia almost launches a nuclear attack after it mistakes Black Brant XII, a Norwegian research rocket, for a US Trident missile.
- 1998 - During a historic visit to Cuba Pope John Paul II demands the release of political prisoners and political reforms while condemning US attempts to isolate the country.
- 1998 - Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) suicide attack on Sri Lanka's Temple of the Tooth, killing 8 people injuring 25 others.
- 1999 - A 6.0 Richter scale earthquake hits western Colombia killing at least 1,000.
- 2001 - A 50-year-old Douglas DC-3 crashes near Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela killing 24.
- 2002 - Wikipedia switches to the new version of its software ("Phase II") aka Magnus Manske Day.
- 2004 - Opportunity rover (MER-B) lands on surface of Mars.
- 2005 - A stampede at the Mandher Devi temple in Mandhradevi in India kills at least 258.
- 2006 - Three independent observing campaigns announce the discovery of OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb through gravitational microlensing, the first cool rocky/icy extrasolar planet around a main-sequence star.
- 750 - Leo IV the Khazar, Byzantine Emperor
- 1477 - Anna, wife of Charles VIII of France (d. 1514)
- 1509 - Giovanni Morone, Italian cardinal (d. 1580)
- 1615 - Govert Flinck, Dutch painter (d. 1660)
- 1627 - Robert Boyle, Irish chemist (d. 1691)
- 1634 - Gaspar Fagel, Dutch statesman (d. 1688)
- 1640 - William Cavendish, English soldier and statesman (d. 1707)
- 1688 - Juraj Jánošík, famous Slovak outlaw (d. 1713)
- 1736 - Joseph Louis Lagrange, Italian-born mathematician (d. 1813)
- 1739 - Charles François Dumouriez, French general (d. 1823)
- 1759 - Robert Burns, Scottish poet (d. 1796)
- 1794 - François-Vincent Raspail, French chemist (d. 1878)
- 1796 - William MacGillivray, Scottish naturalist and ornithologist (d. 1852)
- 1825 - George Pickett, American Confederate General (d. 1875)
- 1841 - Jackie Fisher, British First Sea Lord (d. 1920)
- 1858 - Kokichi Mikimoto, Japanese pearl farm pioneer (d. 1954)
- 1860 - Charles Curtis, 31st Vice President of the United States (d. 1936)
- 1864 - Julije Kempf, Croatian historian and writer (d. 1934)
- 1874 - W. Somerset Maugham, English writer (d. 1965)
- 1878 - Ernst Alexanderson, Swedish-born television pioneer (d. 1975)
- 1882 - Virginia Woolf, English writer (d. 1941)
- 1885 - Kitahara Hakushū, Japanese poets and children's writers (d. 1942)
- 1886 - Wilhelm Furtwängler, German conductor (d. 1954)
- 1899 - Paul-Henri Spaak, Belgian politician (d. 1972)
- 1900 - Theodosius Dobzhansky, Ukrainian-American geneticist and biologist (d. 1975)
- 1900 - Yojiro Ishizaka, Japanese writer (d. 1986)
- 1901 - Martin De Alzaga, Argentine racing driver (d. 1982)
- 1905 - Maurice Roy, French Canadian Roman Catholic cardinal, archbishop of Quebec (d. 1985)
- 1913 - Witold Lutosławski, Polish composer (d. 1994)
- 1913 - Luis Marden, American photojournalist (d. 2003)
- 1916 - Frank "Pop" Ivy, American and Canadian football coach (d. 2003)
- 1917 - Ilya Prigogine, Russian scientist Nobel Laureate (d. 2003)
- 1917 - Jânio Quadros, Brazilian politician (d. 1992)
- 1918 - Ernie Harwell, American baseball sportscaster
- 1919 - Edwin Newman, American journalist and writer
- 1923 - Shirley Mason, American psychiatric patient (Commonly known as "Sybil") (d. 1998)
- 1924 - Lou Groza, American football player (d. 2000)
- 1925 - Giorgos Zampetas, Greek musician and songwriter (d. 1992)
- 1927 - Antonio Carlos Jobim, Brazilian musician (d. 1994)
- 1928 - Eduard Shevardnadze, President of Georgia
- 1928 - Jérôme Choquette, Quebec lawyer and politician
- 1929 - Benny Golson, American jazz musician
- 1930 - Tanya Savicheva, Russian diarist (d. 1944)
- 1931 - Dean Jones, American actor
- 1933 - Corazon Aquino, President of the Philippines
- 1936 - Diana Hyland, American actress (d. 1977)
- 1937 - Ange-Félix Patassé, President of the Central African Republic
- 1938 - Shotaro Ishinomori, Japanese manga author (d. 1998)
- 1938 - Leiji Matsumoto, Japanese creator of anime.
- 1938 - Etta James, American singer
- 1938 - Vladimir Vysotsky, Russian poet (d. 1980)
- 1939 - Gabriel Romanus, Swedish politician
- 1941 - Buddy Baker, American race car driver
- 1941 - Gregory Sierra, American actor
- 1942 - Carl Eller, American football player
- 1942 - Eusébio, Portuguese footballer
- 1943 - Tobe Hooper, American film director
- 1944 - Anita Pallenberg, Italian model
- 1945 - Leigh Taylor-Young, American actress
- 1947 - Tostão, Brazilian footballer
- 1947 - Ángel Nieto, Spanish motorcycle racer
- 1949 - John Cooper Clarke, English punk-poet
- 1949 - Paul Nurse, English biochemist, Nobel Laureate
- 1951 - Steve Prefontaine, American runner (d. 1975)
- 1952 - Timothy White, American journalist (d. 2002)
- 1953 - Mark Weil, Uzbek theatre director (d. 2007)
- 1953 - Wayne Ferris, American professional wrestler
- 1954 - Ricardo Bochini, Argentinian footballer
- 1954 - Kim Gandy, American feminist
- 1955 - Terry Chimes, English musician (The Clash)
- 1956 - Andy Cox, English musician (The Beat, Fine Young Cannibals)
- 1957 - Jenifer Lewis, American actress
- 1957 - Eskil Erlandsson, Swedish politician
- 1957 - Andrew P. Harris, American politician
- 1958 - Dinah Manoff, American actress
- 1961 - Vivian Balakrishnan, Singaporean politician
- 1962 - Chris Chelios, American ice hockey player
- 1965 - Esa Tikkanen, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1967 - Randy McKay, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1969 - Kina, American singer
- 1971 - Luca Badoer, Italian race car driver
- 1971 - China Kantner, American actress
- 1971 - Ana Ortiz, American actress and singer
- 1973 - Geoff Johns, American comic book writer
- 1973 - Chris Guy, American professional wrestler
- 1975 - Mia Kirshner, Canadian actress
- 1975 - Tim Montgomery, American athlete
- 1975 - Dat Phan, Stand up comedian
- 1976 - Mario Haberfeld, Brazilian racing car driver
- 1978 - Denis Menchov, Russian cyclist
- 1978 - Jason Roberts, English-born footballer
- 1978 - Derrick Turnbow, American baseball player
- 1979 - Pi Hongyan, French badminton player
- 1979 - Gabe Jennings, American distance runner
- 1979 - Rodrigo Ribeiro, Brazilian racing driver
- 1980 - Michelle McCool, American professional wrestler
- 1980 - Xavi, Catalan Spanish footballer
- 1980 - Efstathios Tavlaridis, Greek footballer
- 1981 - Francis Jeffers, English footballer
- 1981 - Alicia Keys, American singer
- 1982 - Sho Sakurai, Japanese singer and actor
- 1984 - Robinho, Brazilian footballer
- 1985 - Tina Karol, Ukrainian singer
- 1986 - Chris O'Grady, English footballer
- 1987 - Maria Kirilenko, Russian tennis player
- 1988 - Tatiana Golovin, French tennis player
- 1998 - Marlene Lawston, American actress
- 389 - Gregory Nazianzus, theologian and Patriarch of Constantinople (b. 329)
- 477 - Geiseric, King of the Vandals and Alans
- 844 - Pope Gregory IV
- 1067 - Emperor Yingzong of China (b. 1032)
- 1366 - Henry Suso, German mystic
- 1431 - Charles II (b. 1364)
- 1494 - King Ferdinand I of Naples (b. 1423)
- 1559 - King Christian II of Denmark, Sweden and Norway (b. 1481)
- 1573 - Hirate Hirohide, Japanese samurai (b. 1553)
- 1586 - Lucas Cranach the Younger, German painter (b. 1515)
- 1640 - Robert Burton, English scholar (b. 1577)
- 1670 - Nicholas II (b. 1612)
- 1726 - Guillaume Delisle, French cartographer (b. 1675)
- 1733 - Gilbert Heathcote, Mayor of London (b. 1652)
- 1751 - Paul Dudley, Attorney-General of Massachusetts (b. 1675)
- 1881 - Konstantin Thon, Russian architect (b. 1794)
- 1907 - René Pottier, French cyclist (b. 1879)
- 1908 - Mikhail Chigorin, Russian chess player (b. 1850)
- 1908 - Ouida, English writer (b. 1839)
- 1912 - Dmitry Milyutin, Russian Field Marshal (b. 1816)
- 1925 - Ivan Vucetic, Croatian anthropologist (b. 1858)
- 1940 - Elias Simojoki, Finnish clergyman and politician (b. 1899)
- 1947 - Al Capone, American gangster (b. 1899)
- 1949 - Makino Nobuaki, Japanese statesman (b. 1861)
- 1957 - Kiyoshi Shiga, Japanese physician and bacteriologist (b. 1871)
- 1957 - Ichizo Kobayashi, Japanese industrialist and Minister of Commerce and Industry (b. 1873)
- 1963 - Wilson Kettle, Guinness World Record holder for most living descendants (b. 1860)
- 1969 - Irene Castle, English dancer (b. 1887)
- 1970 - Jane Bathori, French mezzo-soprano (b. 1877)
- 1970 - Eiji Tsuburaya, Founder of Tsuburaya Productions, creator of Ultraman (b. 1901)
- 1972 - Erhard Milch, German field marshal (b. 1892)
- 1975 - Charlotte Whitton, Canadian politician, mayor of Ottawa (b. 1896)
- 1981 - Adele Astaire, American dancer (b. 1897)
- 1982 - Mikhail Suslov, Soviet politician (b. 1902)
- 1990 - Ava Gardner, American actress (b. 1922)
- 1994 - Stephen Cole Kleene, American mathematician (b. 1909)
- 1995 - Cal Jammer, American actor (b. 1960)
- 1996 - Jonathan Larson, American composer (b. 1960)
- 1999 - Sarah "Sadie" Delany, American author (b. 1889)
- 1999 - Ted Mallie, American radio and television announcer (b. 1924)
- 1999 - Robert Shaw, American conductor (b. 1916)
- 2003 - Samuel Weems, Arkansas judge (b. 1936)
- 2004 - Fanny Blankers-Koen, Dutch athlete (b. 1918)
- 2004 - Miklós Fehér, Hungarian footballer (b. 1979)
- 2005 - Stanisław Albinowski, Polish economist and journalist (b. 1923)
- 2005 - William Augustus Bootle, American judge (b. 1902)
- 2005 - Philip Johnson, American architect (b. 1906)
- 2005 - Ray Peterson, American singer (b. 1935)
- 2005 - Nettie Witziers-Timmer, Dutch athlete (b. 1923)
- 2006 - Anna Malle, adult film star (b. 1967)
Holidays and observances
Note: The date "Jan/25/1994" is "commemorated" as a font-character in the (MS Win98) "HM Phonetic" font (@1994) -- possibly its "birthday". (See keymap-code "ctrl-2")
119 Familypedia people were born on January 25
141 Familypedia people died on January 25
120 Familypedia people were first married on January 25