|January 24 in recent years
January 24 is the 24th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 341 days remaining until the end of the year (342 in leap years).
- 41 - Gaius Caesar (Caligula), known for his eccentricity and cruel despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. Claudius succeeds his nephew.
- 1438 - The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 1679 - King Charles II of England disbands Parliament.
- 1742 - Charles VII Albert becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1776 - Henry Knox arrives at Cambridge with the artillery that he has transported from Fort Ticonderoga.
- 1826 - Mississippi College is founded in Clinton, becoming the first college in the state of Mississippi.
- 1848 - California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter's Mill near Sacramento.
- 1857 - The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first full-fledged university in south Asia.
- 1859 - Political union of Moldavia and Wallachia; Alexandru Ioan Cuza is elected as ruler.
- 1878 - The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- 1887 - Battle of Dogali: Abyssinian troops defeat Italians.
- 1907 - Robert Baden-Powell begins the Boy Scout movement.
- 1916 - In Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad, the Supreme Court of the United States declares the federal income tax constitutional.
- 1918 - The Gregorian calendar introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People's Commissars effective from February 14(NS)
- 1924 - Petrograd, formerly St. Petersburg, Russia, is renamed Leningrad.
- 1927 - Director Alfred Hitchcock releases his first film, The Pleasure Garden, in England.
- 1935 - The first cans of beer are sold in the US (Krueger's Finest Beer and Krueger's Cream Ale).
- 1936 - Albert Sarraut becomes Prime Minister of France
- 1943 - World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill conclude a conference in Casablanca.
- 1952 - Vincent Massey is sworn in as the first Canadian-born Governor-General of Canada.
- 1966 - An Air India Boeing 707 jet crashes on Mont Blanc, on the border between France and Italy, killing 117.
- 1972 - Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II.
- 1977 - Massacre of Atocha in Madrid, during the Spanish transition to democracy.
- 1978 - Soviet satellite Cosmos 954 burns up in Earth's atmosphere, scattering debris over Canada's Northwest Territories.
- 1978 - Rose Dugdale and Eddie Gallagher become the first convicted prisoners to marry in prison in the history of the Republic of Ireland.
- 1984 - The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.
- 1986 - Voyager 2 passes within 81,500 km (50,680 miles) of Uranus.
- 1986 - Wapping dispute. Newspaper workers in London launch ultimately unsuccessful strike against Rupert Murdoch's News International.
- 1993 - Turkish journalist and writer Uğur Mumcu assassinated by a car bomb in Ankara
- 1996 - Polish Premier Jozef Oleksy resigns amid charges he spied for Moscow.
- 2003 - The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
- 76 - Hadrian, Roman Emperor (d. 138)
- 1287 - Richard Aungerville, English bishop (d. 1345)
- 1444 - Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan (d. 1476)
- 1540 - Edmund Campion, English Jesuit (d. 1581)
- 1638 - Charles Sackville, English poet (d. 1706)
- 1670 - William Congreve, English playwright (d. 1729)
- 1674 - Thomas Tanner, English bishop (d. 1735)
- 1679 - Christian Wolff, German philosopher (d. 1754)
- 1705 - Farinelli, Italian castrato (d. 1782)
- 1712 - King Frederick II of Prussia (d. 1786)
- 1724 - Frances Brooke, English writer (d. 1789)
- 1732 - Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, French playwright (d. 1799)
- 1742 - Anne (d. 1808)
- 1752 - Muzio Clementi, Italian composer (d. 1832)
- 1754 - Andrew Ellicott, American surveyor (d. 1820)
- 1763 - Louis Alexandre Andrault de Langeron, Russian general (d. 1831)
- 1776 - E.T.A. Hoffmann, German writer (d. 1822)
- 1779 - Elizabeth Alexeievna, Russian tsarina (d. 1826)
- 1848 - Vasily Surikov, Russian painter (d. 1916)
- 1862 - Edith Wharton, American writer (d. 1937)
- 1864 - Marguerite Durand, French feminist leader (d. 1936)
- 1872 - Konstantin Bogaevsky, Russian painter (d. 1943)
- 1873 - Leon Czolgosz, American anarchist, assassin of U.S. President William McKinley (d. 1901)
- 1888 - Vicki Baum, Austrian writer (d. 1960)
- 1888 - Ernst Heinkel, German aircraft designer (d. 1958)
- 1891 - Walter Model, German field marshal (d. 1945)
- 1895 - Eugen Roth, German writer (d. 1976)
- 1898 - Cliff Heathcote, American baseball player (d. 1939)
- 1901 - Harry Calder, South African cricketer (d. 1995)
- 1902 - E. A. Speiser, American Bible scholar (d. 1965)
- 1905 - J. Howard Marshall, American billionaire (d. 1995)
- 1907 - Maurice Couve de Murville, French politician (d. 1999)
- 1909 - Martin Lings, English Islamic scholar (d. 2005)
- 1909 - Ann Todd, English actress (d. 1993)
- 1913 - Norman Dello Joio, American composer
- 1915 - Robert Motherwell, American painter (d. 1991)
- 1916 - Jack Brickhouse, American sports broadcaster (d. 1998)
- 1917 - Ernest Borgnine, American actor
- 1918 - Oral Roberts, American evangelist
- 1919 - Coleman Francis, American film director
- 1922 - Charles Socarides, American psychiatrist (d. 2005)
- 1925 - Maria Tallchief, American ballerina
- 1927 - Sir Patrick Macnaghten, British aristocrat (d. 2007)
- 1928 - Desmond Morris, British anthropologist
- 1928 - Michel Serrault, French actor
- 1934 - Stanisław Grochowiak, Polish poet (d. 1976)
- 1936 - Doug Kershaw, American musician
- 1939 - Ray Stevens, American musician
- 1941 - Neil Diamond, American singer
- 1941 - Aaron Neville, American singer
- 1943 - Subhash Ghai, Indian film director
- 1943 - Sharon Tate, American actress and Manson murder victim (d. 1969)
- 1944 - Klaus Nomi, German singer (d. 1983)
- 1945 - John Garamendi, American politician
- 1946 - Michael Ontkean, Canadian actor
- 1947 - Warren Zevon, American musician (d. 2003)
- 1949 - John Belushi, American actor (d. 1982)
- 1950 - Gerald Brisco, American professional wrestler
- 1950 - Benjamin Urrutia, Ecuadorian writer
- 1950 - Daniel Auteuil, French actor
- 1951 - Yakov Smirnoff, Ukrainian-born American comedian
- 1954 - Jo Gartner, Austrian racing driver (d. 1986)
- 1956 - Hanne Krogh, Norwegian singer (Bobbysocks)
- 1957 - Adrian Edmondson, British comedian
- 1958 - Neil Allen, American baseball player
- 1958 - Jools Holland, British musician
- 1959 - Vic Reeves, English comedian
- 1961 - Nastassja Kinski, German-born actress
- 1961 - Vince Russo, American writer
- 1963 - Martyn Grimley, English field hockey player
- 1963 - Arnold Vanderlyde, Dutch boxer
- 1965 - Carlos Saldanha, brazilian director
- 1965 - Mike Awesome, American professional wrestler (d. 2007)
- 1966 - Jimeoin, Northern Irish comedian
- 1967 - Mark Kozelek, American singer/songwriter (Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon)
- 1967 - Phil LaMarr, American voice actor
- 1967 - John Myung, American musician (Dream Theater)
- 1968 - Michael Kiske, German musician
- 1968 - Mary Lou Retton, American gymnast
- 1969 - Hilmir Snær Guðnason, Icelandic actor
- 1970 - Matthew Lillard, American actor
- 1971 - Cory Bailey, American baseball player
- 1972 - Naoshi Mizuta, Japanese composer
- 1974 - Shii Ann Huang, American game show contestant
- 1974 - Ed Helms, American actor
- 1975 - Rónald Gómez, Costa Rican footballer
- 1976 - Shae-Lynn Bourne, Canadian ice dancer with Victor Kraatz
- 1979 - Tatyana Ali, American actress
- 1980 - Nicole Marie Lenz, American actress
- 1981 - Travis Hanson, American baseball player
- 1983 - Shaun Maloney, Scottish footballer
- 1983 - Scott Speed, American race car driver
- 1984 - Scott Kazmir, American baseball player
- 1984 - Witold Kiełtyka, Polish drummer (Decapitated) (d. 2007)
- 1986 - Mischa Barton, English-born American actress
- 1986 - Raviv Ullman, Israeli-born American actor
- 1989 - Calvin Goldspink, English singer
- 41 - Caligula, Emperor of Rome (b. 12)
- 772 - Pope Stephen III (b. 720)
- 1002 - Otto III (b. 980)
- 1125 - David IV of Georgia (b. 1073)
- 1366 - Alfonso IV of Aragon (b. 1299)
- 1376 - Richard FitzAlan, English military leader
- 1473 - Conrad Paumann, German composer
- 1595 - Ferdinand II of Austria (b. 1529)
- 1626 - Samuel Argall, English adventurer and naval officer (b. 1580)
- 1639 - Georg Jenatsch, Swiss politician (b. 1596)
- 1666 - Johann Andreas Herbst, German composer (b. 1588)
- 1709 - George Rooke, English admiral (b. 1650)
- 1769 - François de Chevert, French general (b. 1695)
- 1856 - Rabbi Yechezkel of Kuzmir, Polish Hasidic leader (b. 1775)
- 1877 - Johann Christian Poggendorff, German physicist (b. 1796)
- 1882 - Levi Boone, Mayor of Chicago (b. 1808)
- 1883 - Friedrich von Flotow, German composer (b. 1812)
- 1895 - Lord Randolph Churchill, British politician (b. 1849)
- 1911 - David Graham Phillips, American journalist and novelist (b. 1867)
- 1920 - Amedeo Modigliani, Italian painter and sculptor (b. 1884)
- 1924 - Marie-Adélaïde (b. 1894)
- 1932 - Alfred Yarrow, English shipbuilder (b. 1842)
- 1939 - Maximilian Bircher-Benner, Swiss physician and nutritionist (b. 1867)
- 1943 - John Burns, English politician (b. 1858)
- 1948 - Maria Mandel, Camp Leader at Auschwitz (b. 1912)
- 1948 - Arthur Liebehenschel, Commandant at Auschwitz concentration camp (b. 1901)
- 1955 - Ira Hayes, American World War II hero (b. 1923)
- 1960 - Edwin Fischer, Swiss pianist and conductor (b. 1886)
- 1961 - Alfred Carlton Gilbert, American swimmer and inventor (b. 1884)
- 1962 - Stanley Lord, captain of the SS Californian the night of the Titanic disaster (b. 1877)
- 1962 - André Lhote, french painter.
- 1965 - Winston Churchill, soldier, politician, historian, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Nobel laureate (b. 1874)
- 1966 - Homi J. Bhabha, Indian physicist (b. 1909)
- 1970 - Caresse Crosby, American poet (b. 1891)
- 1971 - Bill W., American co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (b. 1895)
- 1973 - J. Carrol Naish, American actor (b. 1897)
- 1975 - Larry Fine, American actor and comedian (b. 1902)
- 1978 - Herta Oberheuser, German doctor (b. 1911)
- 1982 - Alfredo Ovando Candía, Bolivian president and dictator (b. 1918)
- 1983 - George Cukor, American film director (b. 1899)
- 1986 - L. Ron Hubbard, American writer and founder of Scientology (b. 1911)
- 1986 - Flo Hyman, American volleyball player (b. 1954)
- 1986 - Gordon MacRae, American actor and singer (b. 1921)
- 1988 - Werner Fenchel, German mathematician (b. 1905)
- 1989 - Ted Bundy, American serial killer (b. 1946)
- 1989 - George Knudson, Canadian golfer (b. 1937)
- 1990 - Madge Bellamy, American actress (b. 1899)
- 1991 - John M. Kelly, Irish politician and academic (b. 1931)
- 1992 - Ricky Ray Rector, American murderer (b. 1950)
- 1993 - Thurgood Marshall, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (b. 1908)
- 1998 - Walter D. Edmonds, American author (b. 1903)
- 2000 - Bobby Duncum, American professional wrestler (b. 1965)
- 2001 - Les Brown, American band leader (b. 1912)
- 2002 - Peter Gzowski, Canadian broadcaster, writer and reporter (b. 1934)
- 2002 - Elie Hobeika, Lebanese Forces militia commander (b. 1956)
- 2003 - Gianni Agnelli, Italian auto executive (b. 1921)
- 2004 - Leônidas da Silva, Brazilian footballer (b. 1913)
- 2005 - June Bronhill, Australian singer (b. 1929)
- 2005 - Vladimir Savchenko, Ukrainian writer (b. 1933)
- 2005 - Chalkie White, English rugby union coach (b. 1929)
- 2006 - Fayard Nicholas, American tap dancer, one-half of The Nicholas Brothers (b. 1914)
- 2006 - Schafik Handal, Salvadorean politician
- 2006 - Chris Penn, American actor (b. 1965)
- 2007 - Krystyna Feldman, Polish actress (b. 1920)
- 2007 - Guadalupe Larriva, Ecuadorian politician (b. 1956)
Holidays and observances
117 Familypedia people were born on January 24
117 Familypedia people died on January 24
101 Familypedia people were first married on January 24