James Adair was born 23 November 1747 in Pennsylvania, United States to Joseph Adair (1711-1788) and Sarah Laferty (1715-1767) and died 23 March 1835 Brookville, Franklin County, Indiana, United States of unspecified causes. He married Rebecca Montgomery (1750-1835) 1770 in Clinton, Laurens County, South Carolina.
- 1747 Birth in Pennsylvania
- 1761: Because of threats to Penn from French & Indiana Wars, James moves with parents to Laurens County, South Carolina where uncle James Adair (1714-1796) is an active indian trader and historian.
- 1770: Marriage in Laurens County, South Carolina
- 1777-1781: Revolutionary War Service
- c. 1800: Family move to Indiana
- 1831: Death in Franklin County, Indiana (per tombstone)
Marriage and Family
All children were born in Laurens County, South Carolina between 1771-1800:
- Margaret Jane Adair (1773-1855) - Unconfirmed
- Sarah Adair (1775-1855) - moved with parents to Indiana and there married War of 1812 Vet and future Ind State House Senator, Joseph Hanna (1772-1849).
- Isabella Adair (1777-1841) - Unconfirmed
- Ruth Adair (1779-1873) - Unconfirmed
- George Ross Adair (1779-1850) - Unconfirmed
- Rebecca Adair (1786-1873) - Unconfirmed
- John Adair (1787-1831) - Unconfirmed
- James Adair (1789-1811) - Unconfirmed
- Jane Adair (1789-) - Unconfirmed
- Robert Adair (1790-1839) - Unconfirmed
- Joseph Adair (1790-1840) - Unconfirmed
- Isaac Adair (1792-1852) - Unconfirmed
- Lucretia Adair (1795-1870)- Unconfirmed
No Middle Name
- James William Adair at Find A Grave #38947979 : Adds a middle name of "William" without any justification.
Old Brookville Gravestone
SACRED To the memory of JAMES ADAIR who departed this life March 23, A.D. 1831 aged 83 years & 4 months.
Joseph Adair Family Memorial
Duncan Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Laurens County, South Carolina
Note: This is a memorial, but not an actual gravestone.
IN MEMORY OF JOSEPH ADAIR, SR. BORN IRELAND 1711 - DIED S.C. 1789
ELDER OF DUNCAN CREEK CHURCH - 40 YRS, AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY PATRIOT
HIS WIFE SARAH LAFERTY OF PA, B. c1715 - D. c1770
THEIR SONS JOSEPH JR., JAMES & BENJAMIN ALL WERE REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIERS
THEIR DAUGHTERS JEAN RAMAGE, SARAH ADAIR,
*MARY OWENS & *ROBERT LONG
SECOND WIFE SUSANNA LONG
- James Adair - disambiguation
- James Adair in the Ninety-Six District - Research Notes
- Adair in Laurens County, South Carolina
- Adair in Franklin County, Indiana
- Adair in Pennsylvania
- James Adair - MyFamilySearch.net
- James William Adair at Find A Grave #38947979