Jacob Cooke was born 20 May 1618 in Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands to Francis Cooke (1583-1663) and Hester Mahieu (1582-1666) and died 18 December 1675 Plymouth Colony, Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States of unspecified causes. He married Damaris Hopkins (1628-1669) 10 June 1646 in Plymouth Colony, Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States. He married Elizabeth Lettice (1635-1693) 18 November 1669 in Plymouth Colony, Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States.
From a Memorial of Francis Cooke, by Henry Cooke, "...Jacob Cooke, son of Francis, was first mentioned in the Colony Records as a volunteer in Capt. Prince's Company for the Indian War, June 1637, and in 1648 was made a freeman.
The records make frequest mention of his name in colonial affairs, as holding offices in the town of Plymouth, etc. On the removal of Governor Prince to Eastham, he sold his house and lands at Rocky Nook, adjoining the land of his father, Francis Cooke, and removed with the Governor's party to above mentioned town, where he resided until his death, which occurred July 7th 1676..." Jacob's will was dated 11 December 1675
Marriage & Family
1st Marriage: Damaris Hopkins
He married first on 10 June 1646, Plymouth County, MA. to Damaris Hopkins (1628-1669), the daughter of Mayflower passenger Stephen Hopkins (1581-1644) and Elizabeth Fisher. Jacob and Damarius had 7 children:
- Elizabeth Cooke (1648-1692) - md son of Mayflower pilgrim.
- Caleb Cooke (1651-1721)
- Jacob Cooke (1653-1747)
- Mary Cooke (1657-1712)
- Martha Cooke (1659-1722)
- Francis Cooke (1663-1746) =
- Abraham Cooke (1665-1749)
- Ruth Cooke (1664-1734) - md Helkiah Tinkham, grandson of Mayflower pilgrim Peter Browne (bef1600-1633)
2nd Marriage: Lettice Shirtleff
After her death, Jacob married Elizabeth Lettice Shirtleff; "Jacob Cooke, Sen'r. was marryed to Elizabeth Shirtleff, widow, the 18th of November 1669" from "Records of the Colony of New Plymouth:Court Records, 1633-1689" pg 32, by Nathaniel B. Shirtleff. Jacob and Elizabeth had a daughter, Sarah. They were married 18 Nov 1669 in Plymouth, and had a daughter, Sarah, who married Robert Bartlett.
- Sarah Cooke (1671-1745) - md Robert Bartlett.
|Offspring of Jacob Cooke and Elizabeth Lettice (1635-1693)|
|Sarah Cooke (1671-1745)|
- Mayflower Families Through Five Generations (Vol. 12: Francis Cooke) by Ralph Van Wood-After twenty years of research Van Wood, already well known for his decades of Pilgrim research, brings you the definitive answers on Francis Cooke and his descendants. (Publ 1999).
- Jacob Cooke - disambiguation
- Cooke in Plymouth County, Massachusetts - first families genealogy