Jabez BIGELOW, oldest son of Gershom 3 ( Joshua2, John1), and Rachel (GALE) BIGELOW, was born 04 (02?) October 1726 at Weston, Middlesex co, MA. He early went to CT, and lived in Colchester and Hebron. At Hebron he was married to Susannah ELDERKIN 10 October 1752. Susan was born 12 August 1722. Descendants say she was married previous to her marriage to BIGELOW.
They lived in Hebron a number of years, then removed to Pittsfield, MA, where he bought seventy acres in what is now the center of the town. Tradition says he planted the large elm tree which stood in the park in the late 1800's.
After a few years in Pittsfield he sold his farm and removed to New Lebanon, Columbia co, NY where he bought 600 acres, and is reputed to have been the earliest settler in the town. His wife died there 16 April 1797, and he on 01 December 1808. His farm was divided equally between the three sons, the general area known as "Bigelow Flats"; and a portion of the farm was still in the hands of a descendant in 1888. (see below)
Family of Jabez Bigelow
Children of Jabez and Susannah (ELDERKIN) BIGELOW, all born Hebron, CT:
- Susanna, b 08 Dec 1753; d _____ ; received into Pittsfield church 1779.
- Esther, b 29 Mar 1755; d _____ ;
- Sarah, b 28 Mar 1756; d _____ ;
- Rachel, b 09 Apr 1757; d _____ ;
- Joshua Bigelow (1759-1831) - b 02 Jan 1759; d 10 Mar 1831 New Lebanon, NY; m, unknown date, Huldah HUNT; res New Lebanon, NY. 7 children.
- Jabez, b 30 Aug 1760; d 30 May 1829 New Lebanon, NY; m (1) Almy GARDNER who died 1813, and (2) Mary FENN; res New Lebanon; 5 children.
- Charlotte, b 13 Feb 1762; d _____ ; (see stone)
- Elizabeth, b 14 Apr 1764, a twin; d _____ ;
- Mary, b 14 Apr 1764, a twin; d _____ ;
- Gale, b 29 Nov 1766; d 10 Oct 1843 New Lebanon, NY; m 31 Dec 1798 Sarah PRATT; res New Lebanon. 11 children.
|Offspring of Gershom Bigelow and Rachel Gale (1702-1800)|
|Susannah Bigelow (1724-)|| |
|Jabez Bigelow (1726-1808)||4 October 1726 Weston, Middlesex County, Massachusetts||1 December 1808 New Lebanon, Columbia County, New York|| Susannah Elderkin (1722-1797)|
|Joshua Bigelow (1728-1758)|| |
|Eunice Bigelow (1731-)|| |
|Abigail Bigelow (1733-)|| |
|Mary Bigelow (1735-)|| |
|Elizabeth Bigelow (1738-)|| |
|Hepsibeh Bigelow (1740-)|| |
|Gershom Bigelow (1742-1783)|
1790 US Federal Census
1790 census: NY-Columbia-Canaan-Jabez Bigelow: 5-0-6-0-0.
- Jabez Bigelow Family History - Bigelow Family History Society
- Bigelow Family Genealogy Volume. I page.78;
- Howe, Bigelow Family ofAmerica;
- vital records Pittsfield, MA and Hebron, CT;
- cemetery records Lebanon, NY.