|— County —|
|• Total||5,476 km2 (2,114 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 232 or (+40) 332|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-IS|
The population of Iaşi county has nearly doubled over the past sixty years.
This county has a total area of 5,476 km².
- Republic of Moldova to the east - Ungheni rayon.
*Neamț County to the west.
*Botoșani County and Suceava County to the northwest.
*Vaslui County to the south.(aka. Nowhere)
Due to its topography, the county is predominantly agricultural. Industry is concentrated in the cities.
The principal industries in the county are:
* Software industry.
* Chemical industry.
* Pharmaceutical industry.
* Metallurgy and heavy equipment industry.
* Textile industry.
* Food industry.
The city of Iaşi is the most important city in Moldavia and one of the most important cultural centers in Romania. It has the oldest University (1860) in the country, and until the formation of Romania in 1859, it had the same importance as Bucharest.
The main tourist destinations in the county are:
* The city of Iaşi.
** The Palace of Culture.
** The Trei Ierarhi Orthodox church
** The Copou hill.
** The Metropolitan Cathedral, Iași.
* The Ruginoasa Palace.
* The towns of Pașcani, Târgu Frumos and Hârlău.
- Grigore Antipa
- Monica Bârlădeanu, actress
- Emil Brumaru, poet
- Petre P. Carp
- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
- Alexandru C. Cuza
- Liviu Deleanu
- Emil Gârleanu, writer
- Spiru Haret, mathematician
* Garabet Ibrăileanu
* Mihail Kogălniceanu
* Costache Negruzzi
* Iacob Negruzzi
* George Emil Palade
- Theodor Pallady
* Vasile Pogor
* Emil Racoviţă
* Mihail Sadoveanu
* Constantin Stamati, poet
* Dimitrie A. Sturdza
* Mihail Sturdza
* Ionel Teodoreanu
* Alexandru D. Xenopol
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ "Populatia la 1 iulie 2007" (in Romanian). National Institute of Statistics. 2007-07-01. http://www.insse.ro/cms/rw/resource/populatia%20la%201%20iulie.htm?download=true. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|