|— Municipality —|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Fons Hertog (VVD)|
|• Total||23.32 km2 (9.00 sq mi)|
|• Land||15.82 km2 (6.11 sq mi)|
|• Water||7.50 km2 (2.90 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Population (May 2013)|
|• Density||2,615/km2 (6,770/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The name "Huizen" is Dutch for "houses" and this usage has been linked to the belief that the first stone houses in the region appeared here.
Huizen originally was an agricultural village, about 2 kilometres from the sea. During wintertime the farmers went fishing. Later on it developed to coastal village, with a thriving fishing industry, which was stimulated by building the harbor about 1850. After the damming of the Zuider Zee by the Afsluitdijk in 1932, the old sea was degraded to a mere freshwater lake, and economical activities shifted towards industry and commerce.
In the 1960s the town was designated to build substantially large residential areas, to overcome the housing shortage in the region. From then on, the village took on an influx of people and grew rapidly.
Dutch Topographic map of Huizen (town), March 2014.
Local government Edit
The municipal council of Huizen consists of 27 seats, which are divided as follows:
- VVD - 7 seats
- CDA - 4 seats
- PvdA - 3 seats
- D66 - 3 seats
- GroenLinks - 3 seats
- ChristenUnie - 2 seats
- Dorpsbelangen Huizen - 2 seats
- Leefbaar Huizen - 2 seats
- SGP - 1 seat
- ^ "Burgemeester mr. A.Ph. Hertog" (in Dutch). Gemeente Huizen. http://www.huizen.nl/bestuur/burgemeester-mr-aph-hertog_3285/. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- ^ "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten [Key figures for neighbourhoods]" (in Dutch). CBS Statline. CBS. 2 July 2013. http://statline.cbs.nl. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ^ "Postcodetool for 1276KB" (in Dutch). Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland. Het Waterschapshuis. http://www.ahn.nl/postcodetool. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- ^ "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand [Population growth; regions per month]" (in Dutch). CBS Statline. CBS. 24 June 2013. http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/publication/?DM=SLNL&PA=37230NED&D1=17-18&D2=101-619,621,624-632&D3=l&LA=EN&HDR=T&STB=G1,G2&VW=T. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
| Almere (FL)|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Huizen. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|