Henry de Percy, 9th Baron Percy and 2nd Baron Percy of Alnwick (1299–1352) was the son of Henry de Percy, 1st Baron Percy of Alnwick, and Eleanor Fitzalan, daughter of Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel. Married Idonia, daughter of Robert de Clifford, 1st Baron de Clifford,
Henry was sixteen when his father died, so the Barony was placed in the custody of John de Felton.
In 1316 he was granted the lands of Patrick IV, Earl of March, in Northumberland, by King Edward II of England. In 1322, was made governor of Pickering Castle and of the town and castle of Scarborough and was later knighted at York. Henry joined with other barons to remove the Despensers, who were favorites of Edward II.
Following a disastrous war with the Scots, Henry was empowered along with William Zouche to negotiate the Treaty of Edinburgh–Northampton. This was an unpopular treaty, and peace between England and Scotland lasted only five years.
He was at the siege of Dunbar and the Battle of Halidon Hill and was subsequently appointed constable of Berwick-upon-Tweed. In 1346, Henry commanded the right wing of the English, at the Battle of Neville's Cross.
In 1329, he founded a chantry, to celebrate divine service for his soul.
|Offspring of Henry, 2nd Baron Percy of Alnwick and Idoine de Clifford (c1300-1365) ¢|
|Henry de Percy, 3rd Baron Percy (1320-1368)||1320||May 1368 England, United Kingdom|| Mary of Lancaster (c1320-1362)|
Joan Orreby (-1368)
|Thomas Percy, Bishop of Norwich|| |
|Roger Percy (c1324-)|| |
|Maud Percy (-1379)||18 February 1379|| John Neville, 3rd Baron Neville de Raby (1328-1388)|
|Eleanor Percy (c1328-)|| |
|Isabel Percy (c1330-)|
|Offspring of Henry, 1st Baron Percy of Alnwick and Eleanor FitzAlan (c1284-1328)|
|Henry de Percy, 2nd Baron Percy (1299-1352)||1299||1352|| Idoine de Clifford (c1300-1365)|
|William de Percy (c1303-1355)|
- ^ Tate, 130.
- ^ Tate, George, The History of the Borough, Castle, and Barony of Alnwick, Vol.1, (Henry Hunter Blair, 1866), 118.
- ^ Tate, 118.
- ^ Tate, 119.
- ^ Tate, 121.
- ^ Lanercost, p282
- ^ Tate, 124.
- ^ Tate, 128.
- ^ Richardson II 2011, p. 210.
- Brenan, Gerald, A History of the House of Percy IIvols. London 1902.
- Lanercost Chronicle, trans. & ed. Maxwell, Sir Herbert. Glasgow 1913.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham. II (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966381
- Tate, George, The History of the Borough, Castle, and Barony of Alnwick, Vol.1, Henry Hunter Blair, 1866.
|NAME||Percy, Henry, 2nd Baron of Alnwick|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1299|
|PLACE OF BIRTH|
|DATE OF DEATH||1352|
|PLACE OF DEATH|
Common ancestors of Henry de Percy, 2nd Baron Percy (1299-1352) and Idoine de Clifford (c1300-1365)
- Isabel de Clare, 4th Countess of Pembroke (1172-1220)
- William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1146-1219)