Some additional tightening and clean up needed here, particularly since this has been broken out of the main "Create a page" article. I'll continue to work on this. Bill 00:03, 5 October 2007 (UTC)
- Now that the "person" template inputboxes have been separated - see Forum:Improving the "people-page start page" - I think this material would be better merged back onto the page it was designed for. But maybe the finer "guidance" points and tips could be left here, so that the parent page contains just:
- the links to the people, place, and surname models
- a few cautions that we are really keen to see that people take notice of (ie the first few headed sections on the current guidance page, down to "Create the page from a link") - and maybe they should precede the links, so that people are more likely to read at least the headings before reaching the links
- Robin Patterson 23:59, 20 October 2007 (UTC)
July 2008 surnames revamp
Needs a bit of editing here to reflect the category/page system. Robin Patterson 15:51, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
Major improvements up to December 2012
The page has kept not too far behind the various advances in input methods. Latest was my amendment of the subpages procedure since Thurstan fixed the buttons.
We continue to get newcomers diving straight in and creating pages for individuals after reading little or nothing of these guidelines. Makes for more work and probably discourages the newbies when their results look less than ideal.
Two solutions, not mutually exclusive:
- Add more guidance on Form:Person itself; an obvious improvement being to replace the fairly cryptic "nn" with "2 digits" for the month.
- Lead newbies here from the main menu so that they may be inclined to read at least a little of the instructions before diving in, i.e. the basic menu link comes here and we give them a link to the form just a little way down the page (but with a note urging readers to go further down).
Any offers, ideas, cautions?