|BCG||Board for Certification of Genealogists; their web site is here|
|CBI||Captured by Indians, usually used to refer to the fate of a settler captured during the Frontier Wars of American history. Some CBI setters managed to escape. Some were ransomed, while others were killed. In a good many instances, they adopted the Indian way of life, and became members of the tribe by whom they were captured, or another tribe.|
|DAR||Daughters of the American Revolution|
|DOB||Date of Birth|
|DOD||Date of Death|
|DOM||Date of Marriage|
|FFHS||Federation of Family History Societies|
|GEDCOM||GEnealogical Data COMmunication.|
|HTML||HyperText Markup Language|
|IGI||International Genealogical Index|
|KBI||Killed by Indians, usually used to refer to the fate of a settler killed during the Frontier Wars of American history.|
|POB||Place of Birth|
|POD||Place of Death|
|POM||Place of Marriage|
|SSDI||Social Security Death Index|
|V&V||Verification and Validation|
|aft.||After a certain year, as in "aft. 1776"|
|b.||Year of birth, as in "b. 1776"|
|bef.||Before/prior to a given year, as in "bef. 1776"|
|c.||circa, about, to indicate an approximate date|
|d.||Year of death, as in "d 1776"|
|<||earlier than a certain year, as in "<1776"; not good in computer code|
|>||after a certain year, as in ">1776"; not good in computer code|
|=||married, as in "John Walker married Ann Houston" (John Walker = Ann Houston)|
Usage: Please add any general references of interest to large numbers of genealogists here, and upgrade out list by pointing to current online copies of these materials. Please do not change already existing abbreviations.
When using abbreviations, you can include it in a link so that the user can expand it. EG:
- ANC Ancestry.com,  online documents subscription. Sometimes has a 14 day free trial.
- AR Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, Seventh Edition, 1999, by Frederick Lewis Weis, with Additions and Corrections by Walter Lee Sheppard, Jr., Genealogical Publishing Company.  Partly searchable through google books.
- BAF Burke's American Families with British Ancestry, excerpted from Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, 16th ed., 1939, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1996.
- CDRI Rhode Island Genealogies #1, from Genealogical Publishing Company, FTM CD #180.
- CP The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant, by G. E. Cokayne, 6-Volume edition, reprinted 2000, Sutton Publishing, Ltd.
- DEP Dormant and Extinct Peerages, 1883, by Sir Bernard Burke, C.B., LL.D., republished 1996, Genealogical Publishing Company.
- DEY The Family and Ancestry of William Dabney of Virginia and His Two Wives, Jane Quarles and Anna Harris, An Analysis of the English Connections of the Families of Dabney, Harris, Overton, Waters, Peake, Herbert, Mallory, Quarles, Millett, and Others and Latest Findings on the Harris Family, by WIlliam L. Deyo, DeJoux Publications, 2000.
- DWS Descendants of William Scott of Hatfield, Mass., 1668-1906, and of John Scott of Springfield, Mass., 1659-1906, by Orrin Peer Allen, 1906, Higginson Book Company.
- EAR East Anglia Research, Suffolk, England, professional research on the Miles family of Norwich, Norfolk, England.
- FAM www.familysearch.com is the Latter Day Saints site. Various extensive databases, and freely searchable. []
- FG Freeman Genealogy, 1875, by Frederick Freeman, Higginson Book Company.
- GDNE Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, 1860-62, by James Savage, republished 1998, Genealogical Publishing Company.
- GHFS The Great Historic Families of Scotland, by James Taylor, M.A., D.D., F.S.A., Vols I and II, 1889, Second Edition, 1995, Genealogical Publishing Company.
- GJB Family Histories of the Burroughs, Shotwell, Dalton, Hunter, Clark, Osborne, Hubbard, Stone, and Other Interrelated Families of Halifax, Patrick, Pittsylvania, Henry, Carrol and Other Virginia Counties, Including the City of Norfolk, and Various Parts of North Carolina, by G. J. Butcher, 1966, 66 pp., copy of unpublished personal family papers.
- GL genealogylibrary.com, online library subscription.
- G-MED Genealogy-Medieval online newsgroup and archives.
- GNCM Genealogical Notes: First Settlers of Connecticut and Massachusetts, 1856, by Nathaniel Goodwin, republished 1995, Genealogical Publishing Company.
- GSCS A Genealogy of the Southworths (Southards), Descendants of Constant Southworth, with a Sketch of the Family in England, by Samuel G. Webber, 1905.
- GWA Genealogy of William Allis of Hatfield, Mass. and Descendants, 1630-1919, by Horatio D. Allis, Higginson Book Company.
- HQC History of Queens County, Nova Scotia, 1873, by James F. More, Esq., Higginson Book Company.
- LCF Little Compton Families, from Records compiled by Benjamin Franklin Wilbour, Vols. I and II, 1967, Clearfield Co., Genealogical Publishing Company.
- MCA Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families By Douglas Richardson  Searchable on Google books.
- MCS The Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, The Barons Named in the Magna Charta, 1215, and Some of Their Descendants Who Settled in America During the Early Colonial Years, Fifth Edition, 1999, by Frederick Lewis Weis, Th.D., with Additions and Corrections by Walter Lee Sheppard, Jr., M.S., Genealogical Publishing Company.
- NSI Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867, by Leonard H. and Norma H. Smith, 1994, Genealogical Publishing Company.
- OCA Our Colonial Ancestors and Their Descendants...., 1895-1897, by Ambrose M. Shotwell, Higginson Book Company.
- RBA The Roll of Battle Abbey, by John Bernard Burke, 1848, 2001, Clearfield Co., Genealogical Publishing Company.
- RD The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States, 2001, by Gary Boyd Roberts, Genealogical Publishing Company.
- SGM soc.genealogy.medieval, archives and newsgroup.
- SSGS South Shore Genealogical Society, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
- TRRC Thomas Raddell Research Center, Queens County Museum, Queens County, Nova Scotia, photostat excerpts from the Diary of Simeon Perkins, newspaper clippings, genealogical notes, and marriage certificates of the Miles family.
- WMQ William & Mary Quarterly, JSTOR-online subscription.
- All Acronyms - large resource with acronyms definition