George Wilcken Romney (1907-1995) Governor of Michigan and 3rd Secretary for US Department of Housing and Urban Development. Father of US Presidential Candidate, Mitt Romney.
- Son of Gaskell Romney (1871-1955) and Anna Amelia Pratt (1876-1926)
- 1907-July-08 : Birth in Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico
- 1912-July : Mexican Revolution, family flees Mexico, moves to US
- 1926-1928 : Mormon Missionary service in England-Scotland area
- 1931-July-02 : Marriage to Lenore Emily LaFount (1908-1998), his high school sweetheart, at Salt Lake City, Utah USA
- 1954-1962 : CEO of AMC Motor Corporation - Automobile Industrialist
- 1954 (EST) : President of the Detroit Michigan Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- 1963-1969 : 43rd Governor of the State of Michigan
- 1968 : Candidate for Republican Nomination for US President
- 1969-1973 : 3rd Secretary of US Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- 1972 : Wife Lenore is candidate for Michigan's US Senate Seat
- 1995-July-26 : Died at Bloomington Hills, Oakland Co, Michigan USA - buried with his wife in Fairview Cemetery.
An excellent biography for George is already presented on Wikipedia. This article will focus on Family History.
Romney's parents were American citizens Gaskell Romney (1871–1955) and Anna Amelia Pratt (1876-1926); natives of Utah, they married in 1895 in Mexico and lived in Colonia Dublán, Galeana, in the Mexican state of Chihuahua (one of the Mormon colonies in Mexico) where George was born on July 8, 1907. They practiced monogamy. George had three older brothers, two younger brothers, and a younger sister. Gaskell Romney was a successful carpenter, house builder, and farmer who headed the most prosperous family in the colony.
When he died, he was survived by his wife, his children, 23 grand children and 33 great-grandchildren.
Family of George Romney and Lenore LaFount
- Lynn Romney Keenan (living)
- Jane Romney (living)
- G Scott Romney (b 1941) - an American Republican politician and lawyer in the state of Michigan. He formerly sat on the Michigan State University Board of Trustees. Romney lost his bid for the nomination to become Michigan Attorney General in 1998.
- Mitt Romney (1947-) - an American Republican politician, US Presidential Candidate, former governor of Michigan, chairman of the 2004 Winter Olympics Committee
|Offspring of George W. Romney and Lenore Emily LaFount (1908-1998)|
|Lynn Romney|| |
|Jane Romney|| |
|G. Scott Romney|| |
|Mitt Romney (1947-)||12 March 1947 Wayne County, Michigan, United States|| Ann Davies (1949-)|
|Offspring of Gaskell Romney and Anna Amelia Pratt (1876-1926)|
|Gaskell Maurice Romney (1897-1972)|| |
|Douglas Pratt Romney (1899-1928)|| |
|Miles Pratt Romney (1903-1980)|| |
|George Wilcken Romney (1907-1995)||8 July 1907 Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico||26 July 1995 Bloomfield Hills, Oakland County, Michigan, United States|| Lenore Emily LaFount (1908-1998)|
|Lawrence Romney (1909-1921)|| |
|Charles Wilcken Romney (1912-1969)|| |
|Meryl Romney (1917-1996)|
1920 US Census
Taken in Madison, Idaho:
- Gaskell Romney (M-47)
- Anna P Romney (F-43)
- Douglas P Romney (M-20)
- Miles P Romney (M-16)
- George W Romney (M-12) (Birthplace Mexico)
- Lawarence Romney (M-10)
- Charles W Romney (M-7)
- Meril Romney (F-2y7m)
- Romney Family Ancestry
- Romney-Huntsman-Pratt-Eyring-Kimball Family Tree - Major political-religious-scientific connections of the descendants of Jared Pratt.
- Biography of G.W. Romney - Wikipedia
- George W. Romney Institute of Public Management
- Boston Globe Magazine, Lessons of the Father